PDA

View Full Version : AR Carbine Buffer Suggestions?

funnybookz
10-14-2013, 7:21 PM
I, just safety checked my AR and the bolt wouldn't stay locked back, even when trying to lock it back manually.

I broke it open and noticed the buffer was sticking out of the buffer tube about a quarter of an inch.

I pulled it out and it had separated into two parts. Looks like the cap or whatever came off during the last range trip. The weights inside, fell out, and the cap wont thread onto the buffer.

I have a carbine gas system. Any recommendations for a new buffer? I'm thinking Spike's Tactical. Someone makes a solid buffer, not sure who. Anyone know if that one is any good?

Wonka17
10-14-2013, 7:23 PM
Spikes T2 is good to go!

stphnman20
10-14-2013, 7:25 PM
I also have a Spikes T2. So far so good. May try an H2.

funnybookz
10-14-2013, 7:29 PM
Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking of going with, but it's oos on their site. Anywhere else I can get it? What about the T1?

firemanjoe
10-14-2013, 7:30 PM
Spikes T2 is good to go!

.+1

MrPlink
10-14-2013, 7:34 PM
What weight buffer did you have previously and was it cycling correctly?

stphnman20
10-14-2013, 7:37 PM
Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking of going with, but it's oos on their site. Anywhere else I can get it? What about the T1?

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spikes_Tactical_T2_Heavy_Buffer_p/sp-sla00t2.htm

SC_SD
10-14-2013, 7:39 PM
H2 > ST-T2 according to some.

A5 > H2 according to some as well.

ST-T2 on a 14.5 mid-lenth is a common and well-understood combo that should work quite well on a semi-auto. Perhaps less so on SBR, NFA item or suppressor-equipped rifle.

The difference is that an H2 has weights inside it and the T2 has Tungsten powder. The operational difference (my understanding based on watching the slow motion youtube videos) is that supposedly the H2 has no bolt bounce, while the T2 may have some, but the T2 has less felt impact due to the transitional nature of grains of sand as opposed to actual weights slamming back and forth.

*based on research I've read / seen, not a salesman or a tactical armchair operator, ymmv

funnybookz
10-14-2013, 7:40 PM
What weight buffer did you have previously and was it cycling correctly?

Not sure, just some cheapo one, I think. I don't remember the brand. Kind of what I get for cheaping out. It was cycling fine, but I have had problems with the bolt completely chambering rounds occasionally when charging it. Maybe three times out of 500 rounds.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Spikes_Tactical_T2_Heavy_Buffer_p/sp-sla00t2.htm

Thanks! Also found it at Bravo Co.

MrPlink
10-14-2013, 9:05 PM
Most folks go for the heaviest possible that will still cycle.
Being that there are many other factors in tuning a rifle this can be a bit of trial and error. You could also find yourself with a setup that will run full power 556 but might choke on weaker commercial .223.

skyhanger00
10-14-2013, 10:33 PM
Car std 3.0oz
Car H 3.8oz
Spike T2 4.3oz (tungsten powder)
Car H2 4.6oz
Car H3 5.4oz
RRA 9mm 5.6oz

Vtlor has its own proprietary A5 buffer system with a full range of weights H4 going up to 6.8oz