PDA

View Full Version : Ballistol Question

geedavell
10-07-2013, 6:00 PM
I've been reading alot about how much people love Ballistol so I thought i'd give it a try. I bought the bigger can of non aerosol thinking I could just put it in a small squeeze bottle. The stuff I bought is as thick as syrup. Kinda thick for a gun cleaner. After reading the can, it says it can be diluted with water. For general purpose gun cleaning, do you guys dilute? if so, what ratio do you use?

USMC VET
10-07-2013, 9:17 PM
FWIW I've used the aerosol version and I like it a lot

timdps
10-07-2013, 10:13 PM
I use it straight. Have it in a little spray bottle and it comes out just fine. Its thinner than it seems.

T

FourLoko
10-08-2013, 2:22 AM
I have the non-aerosol and it's not thick. Pretty sure it tells you the mix on the bottle. I think I did 10% water for cleaning corrosive ammo. Works ok, just don't leave water on your gun.

ChicoDan
10-08-2013, 8:17 AM
I use it on old leather. Makes a nice cologne, too...
ChicoDan

SVT-40
10-08-2013, 10:53 AM
For regular oiling I use it straight...

For removing corrosive residue I dilute it 30% Ballistol to 70% water and keep it in a spray bottle.

For the remainder of the cleaning I use a 50% 50% mix....

BruinGuy
10-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Mmmmm...Ballistol. Add a little balsamic and try it with some crusty bread.

Seriously though, maybe it was just cold? It might have gotten more viscous as a result of the temperature. It should be about the same consistency as most gun oils made from mineral oils, or CLP. It does do a better job on my guns of staying put.

I just use plain water to clean corrosive ammo, but I might try adding a bit of Ballistol to the mix.

TeddyBallgame
10-09-2013, 3:26 AM
I just poured the bottle I got into a spray bottle...works fine, not too thick at all

didn't dilute it any

I don't like buying aerosol products, they run out too quick :shrug:

the ratio of AIR to PRODUCT in the bottle isn't worth the investment