PDA

View Full Version : PTR-91 vs Springfield M1a

ChrisBrooklyn
09-25-2013, 4:48 PM
thoughts? i got a new gig recently which usually means a new rifle.. its down to these..

i like the look and the cheap mags of the ptr..

i like the no BB and classiness of the m1a

obviously the PTR is cheaper but only a like $300 or so.. (its the green poly stock basic model m1a)

any input is always appreciated...

Darklyte27
09-25-2013, 5:11 PM
I was eying this m1a in 2008 before elections it was about 1400$ waiting for this new FFL to email their info to buds but by the time they did * a few weeks* it was 1550$ or so.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/27090/Springfield+M1A+STD+308+SYN+SS+LOADED

I quit looking for one as they were never back in stock and recently DROS'ed a PTR91 Exclusive Model for 1199$. Plus the mags are 2-5$ each if you look hard enough.

npNPBzzIMEE

tacticalcity
09-25-2013, 5:20 PM
Bullet Button won't matter if SB-374 doesn't get vetoed by Brown. They all become assault rifles, and once an assault rifle the bullet button no longer helps. Spend some time in the 2A section reading and researching the bills on Browns desk.

M1A is easier to mount a magnified scope on and use effectively. In order to accomodate the charging handle on the PTRs you need to mount the scope up really high. Doesn't matter what pictures you see online. Those guys with low mounted long magnified scopes on their PTRs have all lost a pound of flesh charging the rifles as the scraped against their scopes (know this one first hand).

M1A will be inherently more accurate as well, unless you get some serious upgrades.

The PTR is a 308 battle rifle in the ilk of the fal. Perfect for the open ranges of the African Sahara. It can be used as an urban precision rifle with easy...but not as effectively or as easily as the M1A.

Don't get me wrong. I like them both. There are just some quirks to the PTR (G3 Clones) that people don't see coming if they've never owned one.

andrewj
09-25-2013, 5:31 PM
I don't own a PTR (I really want one though), but I do own an M1A and DSA FAL. I find the M1A to be a better choice in terms of accuracy and ease of use, the same should hold true for the M1A vs PTR.

So with that said, despite the G3 being my favorite battle rifle, I think the M1A is the better choice.

Hoop
09-25-2013, 5:41 PM
thoughts? i got a new gig recently which usually means a new rifle.. its down to these..

i like the look and the cheap mags of the ptr..

i like the no BB and classiness of the m1a

obviously the PTR is cheaper but only a like $300 or so.. (its the green poly stock basic model m1a)

any input is always appreciated...

The AR is better. It just is. Plus is SB 374 flies then bullet buttons don't matter.

The cheap mags of the PTR are nice and the m1a has charm but neither will shoot as well as a good 308 AR.

Between the 2...flip a coin. Whatever you like more is the right answer, there is no wrong one.

Honestly, if I were buying with the idea that I'd have to reg it...308 AR no question about it. Spend the money get an LMT MWS or GAP 10 they are worth it.

jasonnorcal
09-25-2013, 5:50 PM
M1a is better even though I know nothing about the ptr....lol. M1a(m14) is a true battle rifle. 308 AR's are sweet, easy to mount an optic on and very accurate. In a teotwawki type situation I'd prefer the M14

Gutz
09-25-2013, 5:52 PM
PTR is the way to go...

skyking13
09-25-2013, 5:54 PM
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh574/robertkperry/IMG_0766_zpsd895fcf3.jpg (http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/robertkperry/media/IMG_0766_zpsd895fcf3.jpg.html)
Need I say more?

U5512
09-25-2013, 5:58 PM
M1a is better even though I know nothing about the ptr....lol. M1a(m14) is a true battle rifle. 308 AR's are sweet, easy to mount an optic on and very accurate. In a teotwawki type situation I'd prefer the M14

HK G3 (PTR91) is definately a true battle rifle and has been issued to troops by militaries around the world.....do a search and see!:)

CWM4A1
09-25-2013, 6:04 PM
I used to own a Greek contract copy, Springfield SAR-8. Frankly, I wish I had known better.

While it's semi-auto, because of the roller block action, the recoil is NOT soft at all. I enjoy shooting my M1A while I still have it, enjoy shooting my friends L1A1 FAL before he moved to Arizona, and sold that SAR-8 after fire 40 rounds out of it.

If you want a nice shooting .308 semi-auto, get M1A loaded, or 308 AR platform, it's also easier to mount optic on either one compare to PTR91 as others has said already. If you want to have the retro battle rifle look, get a FAL copy. PTR-91 for me is a show piece instead of comfortable and practical rifle.

Darklyte27
09-25-2013, 6:07 PM
heck just get both!

SOAR79
09-25-2013, 6:12 PM
http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh574/robertkperry/IMG_0766_zpsd895fcf3.jpg (http://s1252.photobucket.com/user/robertkperry/media/IMG_0766_zpsd895fcf3.jpg.html)
Need I say more?

wow

jasonnorcal
09-25-2013, 6:13 PM
HK G3 (PTR91) is definately a true battle rifle and has been issued to troops by militaries around the world.....do a search and see!:)

I meant compared to a 308 ar.

shoebox56
09-25-2013, 6:13 PM
OP, do you reload? I know some PTR-91 versions can beat up brass good, but I heard there's ways of stopping that. My PTR-91 "F" version seem to be ok with brass though. Just something to consider. I have no idea how M1A treats brass since I don't own one.

jmpgnr24k
09-25-2013, 6:24 PM
I agree. Get the m1a first because it will cost you more then the ptr. Then later get ptr.

quadmx301
09-25-2013, 6:26 PM
M1A, you'll never look back. AWESOME rifle. I still kick myself for selling mine last year.

Steve_In_29
09-25-2013, 6:45 PM
I have always liked the M1A (especially the Bush/Scout version) due to the non-pistol grip styling but never had the cash. And don't forget what 10 or 20 mags for it will set you back on top of that. IIRC the 20rd parts kits (if you can get someone to make them) run about $15 each

Sandy Hook happens and possible ban so I suck it up and try to buy but none in stock. Found a PTR91GI at Turner's for pre-frenzy pricing (even got the military discount) and went for it. Parts kits can be had for less then $4 each delivered. They were $1 each pre-frenzy. :(

As far as recoil goes the differences between the M1A/PTR/FAL are for all intents and purposes, NIL. They are all .308 semi-auto rifles that weigh 9ish pounds. People are WAY to used to the mouse gun AR now a days and have forgotten what a real rifle feels like.

All that being said if the OP is looking to shoot tiny little groups on paper then the M1A will be a better match.

SLO1911Fan
09-25-2013, 7:46 PM
I just ordered a PTR through Atlantic Arms. Just over $1100 shipped with the mag lock and the discount. Check out the A3R and A3S models. They're standard length, but with a rail welded on top for easier scope mounting. I haven't shot mine yet, but the fit and finish is great.

Discogodfather
09-25-2013, 8:05 PM
PTR is excellent stuff. It all comes down to preference in which 20th century battle rifle to get. I have a FAL, PTR, AR, and Springfield.

The FAL/AR and the Springfield are the way to go for reloading. They handle the brass normally.

The PTR is roller lock, which means no rotating bolt and no gas system. The top tube looks like a gas tube but its just a cocking tube. Little known fact: all HK roller locks have free-floating barrels. The barrel has no gas ports and no connection to the cocking tube. It manhandles the brass so forget about reloading. The brass expands in the chamber to help the blockback cycle (fluted chamber). It also tends to stretch the case because the bolt is never really fully locked and begins to extract right away.

The HK design is really cool, all the other options are boring rotating bolts and the FAL is a tilting breech block.

ChrisBrooklyn
09-25-2013, 9:16 PM
Bullet Button won't matter if SB-374 doesn't get vetoed by Brown. They all become assault rifles, and once an assault rifle the bullet button no longer helps. Spend some time in the 2A section reading and researching the bills on Browns desk.

aware of the possible laws, but since we dont know what will be im just going by what the law is today

ChrisBrooklyn
09-25-2013, 9:18 PM
The AR is better. It just is. Plus is SB 374 flies then bullet buttons don't matter.

The cheap mags of the PTR are nice and the m1a has charm but neither will shoot as well as a good 308 AR.

Between the 2...flip a coin. Whatever you like more is the right answer, there is no wrong one.

Honestly, if I were buying with the idea that I'd have to reg it...308 AR no question about it. Spend the money get an LMT MWS or GAP 10 they are worth it.

ive shot the lmt 308 platform a bunch (best friend has one) and while i like it a lot, if i ever do a 308 ar it would be from %80

ChrisBrooklyn
09-25-2013, 9:20 PM
OP, do you reload? I know some PTR-91 versions can beat up brass good, but I heard there's ways of stopping that. My PTR-91 "F" version seem to be ok with brass though. Just something to consider. I have no idea how M1A treats brass since I don't own one.

i dont as of now, plan to in the future.. ive read you need a buffer or something on the hk patter rifles to protect you brass..

Mr_Monkeywrench
09-25-2013, 9:33 PM
Garand. :hide:

Nrai2020
09-26-2013, 12:03 AM
What about the PTR 91 KF... the heavier barrel rifle? Would it be more accurate than just a general ptr 91 GI? or What about a 21 inch FAL.. would the longer barrel make it more accurate?

Nrai2020
09-26-2013, 2:02 PM
Need I say more?

Nice..

heidad01
09-26-2013, 4:35 PM
PTR and M1a are not comparable. The only common thing between them is that they both shoot 308. Looking at a PTR, you can see shop and weld marks at every corner. I would not pay for a PTR.

Cuda440
09-26-2013, 4:52 PM
I vote you get the Atlantic exclusive PTR now and a Fulton M14 receiver to finish building later. I wouldn't touch a Springfield M1a (or 1911 for that matter)- great warranty aside, I prefer guns that don't break in the first place.

M1A is easier to mount a magnified scope on and use effectively. In order to accomodate the charging handle on the PTRs you need to mount the scope up really high. Doesn't matter what pictures you see online. Those guys with low mounted long magnified scopes on their PTRs have all lost a pound of flesh charging the rifles as the scraped against their scopes (know this one first hand).

M1A will be inherently more accurate as well, unless you get some serious upgrades.

The PTR is a 308 battle rifle in the ilk of the fal. Perfect for the open ranges of the African Sahara. It can be used as an urban precision rifle with easy...but not as effectively or as easily as the M1A.

Don't get me wrong. I like them both. There are just some quirks to the PTR (G3 Clones) that people don't see coming if they've never owned one.

I've mounted a few scopes on my PTR and never had any issues with the charging handle. I found that I prefer the iron sights anyway, they have no problem hitting steel at 600 with PRVI surplus ammo. Which brings me to the next point- the roller lock, freefloat barrel design of the G3 is more accurate than the M14 with the heavy piston and op-rod attached to the barrel. Not sure where you heard that m14's are more accurate, maybe COD?

Dhena81
09-26-2013, 5:48 PM
I think if you wanted a more DMR/sniper type roll for a PTR or M1A you would spend less money making the M1A accurate.

I can't wait to get my Atlantic Firearms exclusive PTR-91. Some things I've read about the PTR/G3/CETME rifles are the amount of bolt gap can affect the recoil impulse. You should invest in some feeler gauges and keep an eye out for erosion.

U5512
09-26-2013, 8:06 PM
What about the PTR 91 KF... the heavier barrel rifle? Would it be more accurate than just a general ptr 91 GI? or What about a 21 inch FAL.. would the longer barrel make it more accurate?

Yes it is true that a shorter bull barrel / heavier (PTR91KF or PTR91SC) is more accurate than thin but longer barrel (PTR91GI).

promethean_spark
09-26-2013, 8:27 PM
The cheap G3 mags aren't CA legal and I haven't seen blocked ones for sale, which eliminates that point if you're in CA.
I've also heard they mangle brass and there is no gas system so it's not adjustable. Some versions are picky about sooty ammo too due to tight fluted chambers. I think the green GI version is GTG, but the higher end ones that are meant for more accuracy have the tight chamber than can cause extraction and feeding issues with some types of ammo.
I was set to order one before I researched it a bit and went with an LR-308 instead. Whatever I want I can make that gun do it with a few cheap tools/parts in my own garage.

Army GI
09-26-2013, 8:29 PM
The M1A is cool and all...and I've owned one before.

But the G3A3 (and its clones) give me that special warm fuzzy feeling.

U5512
09-26-2013, 8:39 PM
The cheap G3 mags aren't CA legal and I haven't seen blocked ones for sale, which eliminates that point if you're in CA.
I've also heard they mangle brass and there is no gas system so it's not adjustable. Some versions are picky about sooty ammo too due to tight fluted chambers. I think the green GI version is GTG, but the higher end ones that are meant for more accuracy have the tight chamber than can cause extraction and feeding issues with some types of ammo.
I was set to order one before I researched it a bit and went with an LR-308 instead. Whatever I want I can make that gun do it with a few cheap tools/parts in my own garage.

You can buy mags for cheap as rebuild kits and block them to only accept 10 rounds. ALL PTR91 guns now have the same fluted chamber as the GI model so there is no more issue of chambering or extracting when use tar sealed ammos. This is confirmed by PTR Industries.

grommit666
09-26-2013, 9:51 PM
I love my PTR-91F. Super accurate and unfailingly reliable.

You can reload the brass but it looks ugly. A buffer helps prevent the receiver from dinging the shoulder.

The bull barrel makes it heavy. Add a loaded steel 10/20 magazine and optic and you're over 13 pounds.

All that said, if SHTF, that's the gun I'd grab. It shoots anything without needing to be adjusted. Recoil has never been a problem. It has never, not once, failed to feed or fire in over a thousand rounds. And parts and magazines are cheap.

I did my research when shopping for a semi-auto 308 and I don't regret buying the PTR one bit.

smle-man
09-26-2013, 10:16 PM
Owned an HK91 and fired a G3 on the range at Graf; Own an DSA FAL and have owned a couple other FALs and fired an L1A1 on the same range at Graf; own a M14/S and have owned several M1As and shot M14s many, many times. My pick is the M1A followed by the FAL. The G3 type rifle just doesn't cut it for me.

Nrai2020
09-26-2013, 11:54 PM
Pretty much everything I ve read online comes down to M1a vs AR10 vs FAL vs SCAR17.. when it comes to .308 SA rifles... PTR is pretty good also.. I guess maybe not enough of them out there or out long enough to make it to the list..

johnny1290
09-27-2013, 12:33 AM
I got a heavy buffer for my PTR and a rubber thing for the stock and a cheap UTG rail for optics that's supposed to work well. I need to get the port buffer to help with the brass, but supposedly it's still loadable even without it.

The Gun Bible pretty much spells it out. The PTR91 is ultimate reliability, crap ergos and many find the recoil uncomfortable. FAL has the ergos, but costs much more and less reliable and less accurate. M1A ...meh I refuse to talk about it, fan bois have covered it :D