PDA

View Full Version : Thinking hard on the new Ruger SR45

855R
09-19-2013, 6:44 PM
I've been reading about the ruger sr45 seems like a pretty good value. I am not really into the exotic .45's so the ruger fits the bill pretty good. Anybody have experience with one? I just may start paperwork on one tomorrow.

railroader
09-19-2013, 8:02 PM
I have one I haven't been able to get to run reliably with my reloads. I get light strikes. The same ammo runs fine in 4 other 45acp pistols I have. The gun was sent back to ruger 3 times. They ran around 300 rounds total of factory ammo through it without issue. I give up and I'm giving the gun to my stepson. He doesn't reload.

Gp100
09-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Look at the m&p .45..ruger is better at revolvers

r1ghtw1ng
09-19-2013, 11:39 PM
Looks like a solid gun, with good reviews but none of my LGS have one in stock for me to check out. I'd pick one up sight unseen for about $400, which seems to be going price used.

fal_762x51
09-20-2013, 12:47 AM
I have been thinking about one also, but I may just get a P90 instead.

Also, nice Corvair. I have a '65 coupe.

mlrs_27m
09-20-2013, 4:38 AM
I just picked mine up last week. I only put 100 rounds through it. It is the most accurate handgun I have shot. It has a pretty light recoil for a .45. No ftf. I am very happy with it. The only issue I had was a stove pipe. To be fair to the Ruger, I never cleaned it before I took it out for the first time.

morrcarr67
09-20-2013, 6:51 AM
I have one I haven't been able to get to run reliably with my reloads. I get light strikes. The same ammo runs fine in 4 other 45acp pistols I have. The gun was sent back to ruger 3 times. They ran around 300 rounds total of factory ammo through it without issue. I give up and I'm giving the gun to my stepson. He doesn't reload.

That's too bad. I really liked it when I saw yours.

Too bad we're not related :laugh:

I might still get one some day. So many guns, so little money.

smith and wesson
09-20-2013, 7:20 AM

Have you ever tried a different pound guide rod?

only 40 dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/Assembled-stainless-retainer-Galloway-Precision/dp/B00BIV3WG4/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1379690212&sr=1-1&keywords=sr45+guide+rod

"Also allows use of different spring rates to tune the pistol to your needs and handloads"

To op, I had a sr45, ran great and was very accurate. It was kind of an impulse buy but don't regret buying it at all. I however did end up selling it but only to buy something else that I've wanted for a long time.

morrcarr67
09-20-2013, 7:43 AM
Have you ever tried a different pound guide rod?

only 40 dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/Assembled-stainless-retainer-Galloway-Precision/dp/B00BIV3WG4/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1379690212&sr=1-1&keywords=sr45+guide+rod

"Also allows use of different spring rates to tune the pistol to your needs and handloads"

To op, I had a sr45, ran great and was very accurate. It was kind of an impulse buy but don't regret buying it at all. I however did end up selling it but only to buy something else that I've wanted for a long time.

A new guide rod will not effect how the hammer falls.

smith and wesson
09-20-2013, 7:44 AM
A new guide rod will not effect how the hammer falls.

Well damn your right, sorry just got off a grave shift my brain isn't at 100 lol

855R
09-20-2013, 9:05 AM
Thanks for the honest opinions guys. I will take a look at the m&p today if I can get my hands on one. I have ruger p89 and it's been great, but it's not a striker gun like the sr45 is. Did some searching last night and it seems like with the sr45 you can either get a good one like mlrs 27m did or one that has issues. I'm sure the guns that have issues get talked about more than the ones that run perfect from the box so I still may take my chances but I think my next move should be to hold the guns I'm considering then make some choices.

855R
09-20-2013, 4:25 PM
I went polar opposite with my choice. I could only back order a SR45, M&P 45 was hard to get I was told and the Glock was nice but then I said let me see that Citadel 45FSP over there. I held/fondled it check out all the nice factory upgrades and then thought back on how sweet my dads RIA shoots and said I'll take it:cool2: So I made my choice, 1911 style. I pick it up in ten days.