PDA

View Full Version : Took the AK to Iron Sights today.

BlackReef
01-13-2008, 7:52 PM
Went featurless with 10 Rd Mags. I didn't realize all the LEO's there until I pulled it out of the bag (also went there to shoot my new Glock).

Anyways pulled it out with no features, put 10-Rds downrage and lay my rifle on the counter. I go back to the shelf and reload and there is a short little LEO standing there with spiked hair and a badge on his belt. He says "nice rifle" to me and I say thanks.

After reloading 10-Rd magazine (I didn't even bring my pre-bans) I come back to my lane and he is still standing there, just staring at the rifle. I continue to put rounds downrange and when I turn around again he is talking to a buddy (do not know if buddy was LEO, but I assume so because of demeanor), and it really started to sketch me out.

I was there with my father and brother, and needless to say it would have been shameful to have these LEO's raise a stink about my rifle in front of my family.

I ended up packing up my bag and rifle and leaving early. As I walk out of the doors they continue to watch me. I go to pay at the front counter and they come out of the range and was very nerve racking. I pay and leave, and last I saw the LEO's were talking with the customer service reps, and I assume about my rifle.

Sucks but I felt like I should play it safe and leave early. I only put 20-rds through my new AK and maybe 75 through the new G35. Anyone ever shot an AK without a pistol grip? Awkward but was still alot of fun. I really need to get a Mag-Lock or MMG for my Pre-Bans.

Anyways there was a lot of people there today and if any CalGuns guys were there Im sure you saw the LEO "group" on aisles 6 or 7. Can't remember specific time I was there but it was about 30 minutes after the Charger game ended.

Thought I would share. BTW that G35 is laser accurate, I love it!

Grouch
01-13-2008, 7:56 PM
you can use pre bans without a grip. whatever you do don't put a mag lock on it and use prebans.

BlackReef
01-13-2008, 8:06 PM
you can use pre bans without a grip. whatever you do don't put a mag lock on it and use prebans.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/images/smilies/tired.gif

MustangO4
01-13-2008, 8:07 PM
IS is one place I have seen no malice from the LEOs ot OLLs. I have been there with mine, and they sniff around. I offer thhem to shoot and they generelly do and have a good time. The ones I talked were either curious because they ahd heard of them and not handled them, uninformed but curious, or just gun nuts like the rest of us. Always offer for them to shoot it. It breaks the ice, if they are uninformed, you can educate them. You can't have too many cops or lawyers as friends, and hey, if your AK decides to get up in the middle of the night and go on a shooting spree all by itself, you've got an LEOs prints all over it ;)

Richie Rich
01-13-2008, 9:48 PM
Only thing any LEOs have ever hassled me about at I.S was that my 60+ year old bolt action rifle was too loud... :D

They have never even looked at anything else I had with me. Been there on days where 3/4 of the people shooting were running ARs.

M. Sage
01-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Thought I would share. BTW that G35 is laser accurate, I love it!

Exactly the best way to have handled this situation: sharing. Whenever I see someone giving my off-list AK too much attention, I'll offer them a magazine, which usually leads to a conversation, which usually leads to how and why off-list rifles like your (and my) AK are legal.

They usually lead to me referring someone to Calguns, too. :D Sometimes, that leads to the other person saying "oh, I'm a member there! My handle is:...."

oaklander
01-13-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm with Mike on this - whenever people get too curious about any of my OLL's - I offer them a chance to shoot them.

Exactly the best way to have handled this situation: sharing. Whenever I see someone giving my off-list AK too much attention, I'll offer them a magazine, which usually leads to a conversation, which usually leads to how and why off-list rifles like your (and my) AK are legal.

They usually lead to me referring someone to Calguns, too. :D Sometimes, that leads to the other person saying "oh, I'm a member there! My handle is:...."

ghost
01-13-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm with Mike on this - whenever people get too curious about any of my OLL's - I offer them a chance to shoot them.

i know this first hand,lol;)

oaklander
01-13-2008, 10:36 PM
LOL - I like to watch (people shoot my guns)!

:D

i know this first hand,lol;)

Maddog5150
01-13-2008, 10:56 PM
They were probably upset because they are the only ones on earth qualified enough to handle such an evil weapon :p

DV8
01-14-2008, 6:53 AM
+1 to asking if they want to shoot a few rounds out of it. They were probably just curious about how well it worked. I havent been to Iron sights but I've read many a story about them here so I'm sure the LEOs there have seen their share of OL rifles and then some.

I dont like to be bothered too much at the range I go to so I shoot in the morning (or mid afternoon) weekdays. That way I pretty much have the place to myself and dont worry about unwanted attention.

FEDUPWBS
01-14-2008, 7:34 AM
F' him/them! You shouldve politely asked if they wanted something. Dont let these badge heavy A' holes prance around like that. they are not there to check compliance on legal rifles at ap private range. No cop worth his salt walks around w/ his badge open unless he's on duty PERIOD. Nothing says "shoot me I'm a cop" like a open badge.

xrMike
01-14-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm with Mike on this - whenever people get too curious about any of my OLL's - I offer them a chance to shoot them.Yeah, it's probably better to assimilate rather than alienate.

And as the Borg like to say: "You will be assimilated."

xfilterx
01-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Not sure about IS as I haven't taken my AR there yet but I did take my newly built AR to American Shooting Center about two months ago. For anyone who has ever been there, me and two buddies (one who works for the dept. of agriculture and carries a firearm while on duty) where shooting in the next to last lane. While we were there, we had a total of 3 LEOs shooting in the last lane (the one to our right) and the lane to our left. All 3 were obviously LEOs (two may have been federal officers based on the suits they were wearing (one male and one female)) and not one said anything or even gave us a second look.

I was really hesistant taking it out of the case at first but had my "cal-compliant explanation" paperwork ready in the case just in case something came up. I never really thought about offering them a chance to shoot it but now that I think about it, I think that really is the best approach to take.

Jicko
01-14-2008, 11:45 AM
IS and ASC both OLL friendly.

No need to worry, but just make sure you don't have it in an illegal configuration.

philthy209
01-14-2008, 12:04 PM
I aint offering nobody a magazine with the price of .223:p

ukdkbr
01-14-2008, 2:20 PM
I was at Iron Sights on Saturday and saw someone shooting an AR, first time i've seen on there. Maybe I should have payed more attention to it and he would have let me shoot it :-)

troyus
01-14-2008, 2:28 PM
Just curious, what kind of ammo were you using, since they don't let you pump out the steel case stuff @ IS...?

Mezcalfud
01-14-2008, 3:06 PM
IS and other public ranges fill the role of "dept ranges" as the cities close them down. Carlsbad built a golf course over theirs.

Never had any problems at IS other than overcrowding.

hitman13
01-14-2008, 3:38 PM
IS.... overcrowding.

+385567808billion!!!! that place gets PACKED!

mike100
01-14-2008, 7:40 PM
Iron sights is OLL friendly. The cops don't like to crap where they eat either since they get cheap range time and treated well by the staff there.

I'm almost certain they were curious as to OLL builds as they may have heard about them being legal. I think he may have stayed back if he was in uniform so as not to confuse his personal interest with his on-duty job.

anyways..just saying from the info you gave us. Another thing is that the military guys sometimes bring in there not-legal for CA stuff with papers and then you got guys with reg'd AW's so it is really jumping the gun to hammer on people at the range knowing all the different legal options that are possible. The crap would hit the fan for everybody if Johnny Law hassled people at the only qualification practice range for 25 miles (carlsbad S.O. range was just made into a golf course). Whatever is bad for range business is bad for the dept in that regard.

FlyingPen
01-14-2008, 8:07 PM
I have a feeling the cops are probably as frustrated as we are about the situation.