PDA

View Full Version : additional details on 2008 offerings from S&W...

trashman
01-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Of interest to me :) The 27's in nickel...at least a 4" and 6.5" will tide me over until I find one of the older ones.

--Neill

S&W is extending its family of Classic Series revolvers with the 6 1/2" Model 24, chambered in .44 S&W Special; the 6 1/2" Model 25, chambered in .45 Long Colt; the 4" and 6 1/2" Model 27, chambered in .357 S&W Mag./.38 S&W Special; and the 4" Model 29, chambered in .44 Mag./.44 S&W Special.

Smith is also offering a midsize, 4" barrel version of its M&P45 in .45 ACP. The lightweight Scandium-frame Model 327PD, with 4" barrel, and the all-stainless Model 627 are now chambered in .357 Mag./.38 S&W Special. The company is also reintroducing the Model 610, with 4" and 6 1/2" barrels, chambered in 10mm/.40 S&W.

http://www.shootingindustry.com/Pages/Ftr0108b.html

bwiese
01-13-2008, 12:27 PM
OMFG.

Why do they do this to me?

vandal
01-13-2008, 2:07 PM
Smith is also offering a midsize, 4" barrel version of its M&P45 in .45 ACP.

This may get my attention!

trashman
01-13-2008, 2:26 PM
OMFG.

I only hope it's some sort of Kharmic payback for the F-ing Safe Handguns List in CA. My hope is that they make enough of these things that

1) By filling a gap in the product line (N-Frame production .357s) it slows down the manic rapid appreciation of existing Model 27's

*or*

2) Purists who hate MIM and locks will stay away in droves...keeping the availability/price of the new products reasonable.

Either way, I think we win. :)

--Neill

Ech0Sierra
01-13-2008, 2:38 PM
The 327PD is catching my eye. The 27 too. I don't have a wheelgun just yet.

Californio
01-13-2008, 2:41 PM
Of interest to me :) The 27's in nickel...at least a 4" and 6.5" will tide me over until I find one of the older ones.

--Neill

http://www.shootingindustry.com/Pages/Ftr0108b.html

I will take one of each, someone must be listening :)

bwiese
01-13-2008, 2:45 PM
I only hope it's some sort of Kharmic payback for the F-ing Safe Handguns List in CA. My hope is that they make enough of these things that

1) By filling a gap in the product line (N-Frame production .357s) it slows down the manic rapid appreciation of existing Model 27's

*or*

2) Purists who hate MIM and locks will stay away in droves...keeping the availability/price of the new products reasonable.

Smith & Wesson will have many fine intermediary FFLs throughout the country that make CA-exempt custom single-action revolvers :)

trashman
01-13-2008, 3:15 PM
Smith & Wesson will have many fine intermediary FFLs throughout the country that make CA-exempt custom single-action revolvers :)

Bill, if that bears fruit, I will owe you a bottle of the 21-year old single malt variety..

That is to say, if I have any money left to buy said drink once the whole of America is my S&W shopping mall...

--Neill

Parag
01-13-2008, 3:46 PM
OMFG.

Don't worry - they'll probably all have fluted cylinders. :)

-- Parag

dfletcher
01-14-2008, 8:04 AM

*or*

--Neill

I guess I'll be in that group - although "hate" is too strong a word. I just don't like the lock enough that when combined with the other things I'm not too crazy about on new Smiths (round butt, terrible "case hardening" and that black shoe polish finish) I guess I prefer hunting around for older Smiths. Now, I did buy a new Model 21 (retro fitted with diamond service grips & T grip) and if Smith ever does re - release a Model 58 I'll bite, but so far no go.

sargenv
01-14-2008, 8:11 AM
I'm absolutely stoked that the 610 in a 6.5" is available again. Now I can buy a backup to my 610-2 that I've been using for several years. I have a standing order to Frank as soon as they become available and on list :)

bruss01
01-14-2008, 8:13 AM
Do these "Classic Series" handguns ever end up on the approved roster?

I can't imagine they'd sell enough of them in CA to make it worth the price of admission, but I could be wrong on that point.

dfletcher
01-14-2008, 9:32 AM

I can't imagine they'd sell enough of them in CA to make it worth the price of admission, but I could be wrong on that point.

They are usually on the roster - Smith is pretty good about that. I've seen a few of the "1917s" floating around as well as the 40.

bwiese
01-14-2008, 9:40 AM

Why wouldn't S&W want to sell to the largest state in the Union also having customers with the highest discretionary income?

That's in fact why most all S&Ws do indeed end up Rostered.

In fact the Roster has quite a few S&W guns that are in their catalog.

I spoke w/'em a few years ago, and anything they're doing in a 500+ run they're likely gonna drop-test and file for CA approval. Maybe they skip a few very small runs at behest of a regional distributor and that are not particularly relevant to CA ("80th Anniv. of Missouri Highway Patrol", etc.)