PDA

View Full Version : Rudias To build or Not to build?

eightmd
08-27-2013, 11:28 AM
I have 2 rudias 1911 frames which I milled into 100% just a few weeks ago. I bought all the parts for both of them from Ed Brown (except for a 9mm barrel, still looking for that). I was going to build one in 45 ACP and one in 9mm.

Obviously the parts were very expensive and I'm wondering if I should get better frames for these projects. I'm wondering if anyone with smithing (and maybe rudias) experience has an opion they would like to share.

I'm looking at the frames and the gen 1 grips I have, and I'm wondering if it is really a good move to put all those expensive parts on these frames.

Will the grips give enought support the way they are designed and fit the frame?

Should I just buy some really cheap Sarco parts and finish a 1911 from one of these frames for experience and get a "better" frame for all my expensive parts?

Does anyone else make 80% 1911 frames?

nick
08-27-2013, 11:49 AM
KTO makes good 80% frames. They're expensive though. Then there's a member Limited Ten here, who makes STI-like 80% frames (which work with STI grips). They seem to get good reviews, as well.

The Sarco ones, I wouldn't call them high quality, and they don't have the steel ones anymore (if steel is what you want). Also, they're wide body (for double stack mags), so you'll have to decide whether this is what you want, and add a few parts (trigger, grips, mag release, and sear spring, which, in case of a P12 frame, you'll have to make yourself, unless you're lucky to find a Para one). And they don't have the P14 frames anymore, only P13 and P12s (the smaller kind).

Other than that, there are Caspian45 80% frames (nothing to do with Caspian, that's just a forum username). They're more traditional 1911 castings, but I've read both good and bad things about it. Seems like a hit-or-miss proposition.

WieDonE
09-01-2013, 1:43 PM
I did the same thing as you. After the grips BS, I choose to buy a used RIA and build up that frame. I am selling the internals and slide/frame. I just don't know if we will ever get grips for the Radius

wpage
09-05-2013, 2:45 PM
Keep doing your research there are plus and minus to all these parts...