PDA

View Full Version : URGENT -- ACTION NEEDED NOW NOW NOW -- TODAY! CONTACT SPEAKER PEREZ

Samuel Whittemore
08-26-2013, 9:43 AM
Speaker of the Assembly John Perez
Phone: (916) 319-2053
Fax: (916) 319-2153

URGENT URGENT URGENT!! DO THIS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!

EVERYONE needs to call Assembly Speaker Perez on MONDAY!!

Please share this message with EVERY GUN OWNER that you know. We must ALL work together on this effort to make sure that Mr. Perez hears our voice.

CALL -- EMAIL -- FAX -- CROSS POST -- RETWEET -- SHARE -- REPEAT

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2013/8/california-critical-committee-vote-soon-on-package-of-drastic-anti-gun-legislation.aspx?s&st&ps

NRA-ILA CALIFORNIA ALERT

It is essential that you voice your opposition to the bills that would only affect and punish law-abiding citizens. Please contact Assembly Speaker John Perez TOMORROW (MONDAY August 26th) and ask him to "keep ALL anti-gun bills in Assembly Appropriations suspense file and NOT move them to the Assembly floor for a vote."

fyi... the staffers have a matrix of every one call they assume represents 6 others. so your call counts as seven in total. These calls carry more weight than a vote

taperxz
08-26-2013, 9:45 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=813455

Samuel Whittemore
08-26-2013, 9:50 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=813455

Sorry.. but I don't feel too bad. :)

fyi... the staffers have a matrix of every one call they assume represents 6 others. so your call counts as seven in total. These calls carry more weight than a vote

so the more it gets out the better...

cpatbay
08-26-2013, 10:01 AM
Called.

glocksmith
08-26-2013, 10:05 AM
Just called. All i heard was phones ringing off the hook in the background..ha.

nastyhabts26
08-26-2013, 10:20 AM
I called and got an answering machine.
I left a message as a concerned citizen and firearm owner in southern California.

jpx0123
08-26-2013, 10:39 AM
keep getting a busy signal. will keep trying til i get through.

Granite
08-26-2013, 10:40 AM
I called just now. The receptionist said he's not part of it and I called the wrong office, but that she would tell him when the time would come for a vote.

SanPedroShooter
08-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Busy signal

jpx0123
08-26-2013, 10:44 AM
I called just now. The receptionist said he's not part of it and I called the wrong office, but that she would tell him when the time would come for a vote.

finally got through. and this is exactly what i wast old as well.

SanPedroShooter
08-26-2013, 10:48 AM
Doesn't the speaker control which bills come to the floor for a vote?

gregr266
08-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Just called and emailed here is his local los angeles field office Number1-213-620-4646

I tried the Sac office number and it was busy but the local number someone answered right away. Call, Call, Call

MorePewPew
08-26-2013, 10:53 AM
finally got through. and this is exactly what i wast old as well.

As I said in the other thread, I was told the same thing. That he's not on the committee and has no vote on whether or not they come out of suspense.

kf6tac
08-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Doesn't the speaker control which bills come to the floor for a vote?

I've been scratching my head trying to figure out the Speaker's role in conjunction with the suspense file as well (already called, but still don't really understand what it is we're doing). My understanding, which could be very wrong, is that once the Appropriations committee puts a bill into the suspense file, the committee later decides whether to bring the bill out and pass it out of committee - and if it passes out of committee, then it goes to the floor for a vote. The speaker is not on the Appropriations committee, so I'm not sure what exactly it is we're asking him to do - prevent the bills from coming to the floor for a vote if the Appropriations committee resurrects them and passes them out of committee?

stevedusa
08-26-2013, 10:56 AM
Called and sent an email as well.

SanPedroShooter
08-26-2013, 10:56 AM
(already called, but still don't really understand what it is we're doing).

Yes me too. I felt a little silly so I just asked that he oppose the listed bills, I didn't mention the suspense file issue.

P08
08-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Other numbers led to voice mailbox full, his home office led to a staffer and is good! Try this (213) 620-4646

voiceofreason
08-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Confirmed that Perez IS indeed the right person to be contacting, regardless of what his office is saying.

egslaw
08-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Done. Email sent and reply received. The reply was a form letter but it does show the email was received.

chris
08-26-2013, 11:59 AM
done just called his office in Sac. calling the governors office now on hold.

rvizzone
08-26-2013, 12:05 PM
Just got off a call with the Speaker's office and relayed the message. Thanks for the encouragement.

supermanuf
08-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Today's due diligence, done.

SanPedroShooter
08-26-2013, 12:10 PM
"Keep it up Everyone!!

Just spoke with our NRA leadership. The response from California gun owners has been tremendous!! They are freaking out in Perez's office!! It caught them totally by surprise. They had to borrow additional staff from other offices to answer the telephones!!

Today we are fighting together as one big team. Calguns.net members have responded extremely well.

Turner's Outdoorsman sent out an action request to ALL THEIR CUSTOMERS on their email list. We are all in this together.

And of course, we have been receiving messages from many of our members to let us know that they are emailing, calling, and spreading the word. One of our members found the Twitter ID for @SpeakerPerez. Please feel free to voice yourself there too. And you can also find him on Facebook.

However, they are in "denial" and they think this will all blow over shortly. He are sadly mistaken. Keep up the pressure. Multiple emails, faxes, and phone calls are okay.

Speaker of the Assembly John Perez
Phone: (916) 319-2053 Sacramento
Local Office: 1-213-620-4646
Fax: (916) 319-2153

Email: speaker.perez@assembly.ca.gov

Twitter: @SpeakerPerez
Facebook: John A. Perez

FIGHT ON!!

James Ma

President

SBMC-NRA"

desert dog
08-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Called 3 times. Busy signals first 2 times. Last call was answered by a woman who stated that their office has nothing to do with gun legislation, or bringing gun legislation to a vote.

Edit: Just called again on my work phone; another woman answered. I heard her typing as I communicated my concern. She then asked what city I was from and stated that she would relay the message.

mag360
08-26-2013, 12:20 PM
I would LOVE to see published data on how many calls they got in support of these gun bills vs opposition.

Even from my liberal area assembly person (Dickinson) that ratio must be greater than 10:1 in opposition. last time I checked they had 36 calls urging them vote NO on gun bills, and NOT a single yes.

chunger
08-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Called. . . will call again and ask if the speaker has a position yet. . . not that the staffer will likely know, but makes for good conversation :)

MustangSteveGT
08-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Left message through staff member who answered suggesting they leave the anti gun bills in suspense file and not vote them along.

CitaDeL
08-26-2013, 12:54 PM
{ring}..... "Speakers office... please hold"...

Sounds like they are busy... but no busy signals. About a 20-25 second wait.

unusedusername
08-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Yup, they are on answering machine now

stevedusa
08-26-2013, 12:56 PM
If his Sac. office phone number is too busy, call his local office.

However I strongly suggest you use phone numbers with area code that's either LA or part of LA (i.e. 213, 310, 323, 818, even 626) if they want to confirm you do live in his district.

His LA office number 213-620-4646

tpuig
08-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Just called and politely said I was against all the current gun control bills, and would like her to pass along my sentiments to the speaker. She asked my city, and then I said thank you and disconnected. Total time, less than 20 seconds.

GMG
08-26-2013, 1:16 PM
Just now called and was put on hold, I think that is a good sign about how many calls they are receiving! By the way they did take my call.

Big D
08-26-2013, 1:38 PM
Done. Hopefully it helped

GJC
08-26-2013, 1:40 PM
Done!

jccam
08-26-2013, 1:46 PM
Done. The call was answered immediately, no busy signal, no waiting. A woman staffer took the call. She asked what city I was from and said that she would relay the message.

stagar15dj
08-26-2013, 1:51 PM
called and e-mailed this morning

prometa
08-26-2013, 1:54 PM
Confirmed that Perez IS indeed the right person to be contacting, regardless of what his office is saying.

What's your source? AFAIK, the speaker does not have the power to set committee agendas. As Perez is not on the appropriations committee, the most he could do would be to stop the bill from coming up to a full assembly vote if the committee removes the bill from suspense and votes to pass it.

The standing rules for the assembly are listed here (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/rules/assembly_rules.pdf), with page 18 listing the powers of the speaker, which do include setting committee membership, but do not include setting committee agendas.

glocksmith
08-26-2013, 1:59 PM
Called again.

I'll buy a keg of beer and have a party if the bills die.

kf6tac
08-26-2013, 2:13 PM
What's your source? AFAIK, the speaker does not have the power to set committee agendas. As Perez is not on the appropriations committee, the most he could do would be to stop the bill from coming up to a full assembly vote if the committee removes the bill from suspense and votes to pass it.

The standing rules for the assembly are listed here (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/rules/assembly_rules.pdf), with page 18 listing the powers of the speaker, which do include setting committee membership, but do not include setting committee agendas.

Yeah, I'm still waiting for a clearer explanation of this as well. But I figure at worst, we freak out Perez's office and he has a chat with the Appropriations Committee members to see WTF is going on.

acolytes
08-26-2013, 2:13 PM
called!

RudyN
08-26-2013, 2:15 PM
I called and they answered right away. I left the message and they said thank you. By the way they asked which city I was from.

Dooligan
08-26-2013, 2:18 PM
In. Staffer answered. "I will give the speaker the message". Didn't ask my city.

OC Speedball
08-26-2013, 2:29 PM
I am 23 and I have never gotten involved in 2A activism before; besides buying guns. What exactly are you guys saying when you make the call? Are you giving them long speeches about the second amendment or just briefly stating what city you are from and that you oppose the new legislation?

Total newbie question, I know. But I want to get involved.

Cheers

Write Winger
08-26-2013, 2:55 PM
I just stated that I oppose the four bills (list them, no detail), no rant, no rave... they ask what city, and that's it. Arguing is a waste of time; they're just a lackey staffer taking tallies for yays and nays.

Sam .223
08-26-2013, 3:06 PM
called and emailed.

DrjonesUSA
08-26-2013, 3:08 PM
I am 23 and I have never gotten involved in 2A activism before; besides buying guns. What exactly are you guys saying when you make the call? Are you giving them long speeches about the second amendment or just briefly stating what city you are from and that you oppose the new legislation?

Cheers

Check this thread for more info: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=12163008&posted=1#post12163008

All you really have to do is call & urge him to keep gun control bills on the Assembly Appropriations suspense file and NOT move them to the Assembly floor for a vote.

That's it.

Then go here: https://www.firearmspolicy.org/the-issues/california/2013-2014/

and draft a short email. In the thread above, I posted an example of what I just sent today. I've got a lot more material saved, so if you really are afraid of writing, let me know & I'll post more stuff.....for free. ;)

Scream_4637
08-26-2013, 3:09 PM
called (213)620-4646 and got live person.

emtmark
08-26-2013, 3:15 PM
Done, diddnt ask my city just that they would get the msg to the speaker.

BBJohnnyT
08-26-2013, 3:17 PM

Cheers

Emails are better than nothing, but phone calls are MUCH more effective. Keep it short and sweet without all the details. At this point, they know why you're calling. Here's a sample, similar to what I used...

YOU: "Hello, my name is XXXXXX and I'm calling about the 4 firearms related Senate Bills that are currently in the suspense file. I oppose these bills and am just calling to urge the Speaker to keep them in suspense and not release them for an Assembly vote. Thanks."

CLERK: "What city are you calling from?"

YOU: "I live in XXXXXXX. I know you're getting a lot of calls on this issue. Hang in there and have a nice day!"

Hiking CA
08-26-2013, 4:01 PM
I called and they answered right away. I left the message and they said thank you. By the way they asked which city I was from.

This

toro1
08-26-2013, 4:37 PM

Cheers

Since these bills are in appropriations committee, I asking where the funding is going to come from to fund these bills. Especially since we are releasing convicted criminals early because we cannot afford more prison space.

HOGLEG
08-26-2013, 8:17 PM

Me too, Told them I was from L.A.

huntercf
08-26-2013, 9:08 PM
mailbox full, sent an email

rayrayz
08-26-2013, 9:33 PM
Wonderful that they are getting hammered later in he morning. Called about 9:45 am and the call was picked up on the first ring.... I was getting worried. Emailed also but I got the can'd response. Is this only for today for Mr. Perez?

emtmark
08-26-2013, 9:36 PM
Anybody know how this went?

32blownhemi
08-26-2013, 10:50 PM
I called...

CEDaytonaRydr
08-27-2013, 9:26 AM
Are we still calling them today? Just curious...

SOCAL-PRINCE
08-27-2013, 9:36 AM
I'm callin Gatto's office per NRA-ILA email and mail box is full. Called a second time and someone picked up and hung up immediately. So I decided to email. I will call again sporadically throughout the day....

ken5714
08-27-2013, 10:05 AM
I'm callin Gatto's office per NRA-ILA email and mail box is full. Called a second time and someone picked up and hung up immediately. So I decided to email. I will call again sporadically throughout the day....

I too called his office, could not get past the "full" voice mail. I have e-mailed him also. Keep calling and e-mailing, flood em all, be relentless!

1recluse
08-27-2013, 1:41 PM
Called yesterday Perez and today Gatto, both times early got full voice mailboxes recalled both at 10:30 am and got very nice very informed women on the Gun Bills made my plea and said Thank You!

I had also emailed both prior evenings when I read the NRA request!

Live Well
Ken