PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a Yugo M92 krink to gunsmith w/ FFL

delfino
08-16-2013, 4:10 PM
I've done some research on shipping firearms to out of state gunsmiths (with FFL) but couldn't find the answers to my questions. I need to have a barrel pressed in to my nodak reciever (w/ trunnions & trigger guard installed) and fake can installed (pin & welded) on my Yugo M92 krink. My questions are:

1) If I ship the populated barrel, fake can, and receiver to my gunsmith, can he ship it back to me with these 3 parts assembled (no other parts included)?

2) Does the barreled receiver need a bullet button / mag lock attached even though it is not a complete rifle?

3) Does Overall Length (OAL) apply to this even though its not a complete AK? I know legal OAL in CA is 30".

Thanks in advance.

buellster
08-16-2013, 4:23 PM
I just did one of these. Maybe you should just bring it to me and save yourself the hassle.

hellayella
08-16-2013, 4:24 PM
I shipped a parts kit to Jim Roberts Armory for a krink build, not no receiver...

complete receiver must be FFL to FFL...

CALIF bullet button needed

OAL length + fixed stock needed

delfino
08-16-2013, 9:01 PM

The nodak was already dros to me. My understanding was that you can ship receivers that are already in your possession to a gunsmith w/ FFL and he can ship it back to you. My concern was since it is NOT a complete rifle (just the barreled receiver (no BCG, FGC, or other parts), can the gunsmith ship it back to me that way or does it need to be fully assembled into a CA compliant rifle upon return ? (fixed underfolding stock, OAL of 30"+, mag lock, 10rd)

kcstott
08-16-2013, 9:20 PM
I shipped a parts kit to Jim Roberts Armory for a krink build, not no receiver...

Incorrect. You can ship your weapon all day long to a FFL or factory and they can ship back to you directly with no violations involved.

As to the OP

1) If I ship the populated barrel, fake can, and receiver to my gunsmith, can he ship it back to me with these 3 parts assembled (no other parts included)?
Yes he can

2) Does the barreled receiver need a bullet button / mag lock attached even though it is not a complete rifle?
So long as the pistol grip is not on the weapon no bullet button required.

3) Does Overall Length (OAL) apply to this even though its not a complete AK? I know legal OAL in CA is 30".

If it's semi auto and less then 30" yes it's needs to comply with the over length limit. thing is you have the bolt carrier so you can attach the stock when it comes in. then install your bullet button, then install your grip.

delfino
08-16-2013, 9:31 PM
If it's semi auto and less then 30" yes it's needs to comply with the over length limit. thing is you have the bolt carrier so you can attach the stock when it comes in. then install your bullet button, then install your grip.

I understand that it needs to be comply with OAL, but it technically is not a complete rifle yet. In my case it is just the fake can pinned, receiver, and barrel assembled. No other parts. I just need to know if it can be shipped back to me that way. Of course when I do get it back, I will assemble it into a CA compliant rifle.

hellayella
08-17-2013, 12:30 PM
what I meant is that my M85 will come back to CALI as a complete rifle and that needs to be FFL'd and OAL length and barrel extension in place...

kcstott
08-17-2013, 3:51 PM
what I meant is that my M85 will come back to CALI as a complete rifle and that needs to be FFL'd and OAL length and barrel extension in place...

Wrong again

If he uses a DROS'ed receiver he can ship it anywhere in the the USA to an FFL have them do what ever they want to it. and ship it directly back to his door no FFL needed on the receiving end.
If the rifle went out with a flat and comes back assembled then yes it would need to be properly marked and DROS'ed to you. But even if it was his home built from flat receiver he could still ship it out and have it come back with no issues.

OP it's my opinion that since the rifle is not in an operational condition it can come back to you with the stock removed. you would have to install the stock mag lock and pistol grip in that order. Keep in mind I'm no lawyer.

hellayella
08-17-2013, 4:42 PM
mine was sent to JBI and he will be making a receiver from the AK-BUILDER M85 flat...

delfino
08-18-2013, 4:13 PM
OP it's my opinion that since the rifle is not in an operational condition it can come back to you with the stock removed. you would have to install the stock mag lock and pistol grip in that order. Keep in mind I'm no lawyer.

kcstott,

I appreciate your advice and understanding on this topic . I'm surprised no one else can chime in on this. I guess it boils down to whether or not one interprets a barreled receiver as a complete rifle subject to CA AW laws or not. Unfortunately I cannot find a law pertaining to this.

Jayruta
08-18-2013, 4:58 PM
Why not just send to him with a bullet button installed and a 0 round mag installed. Without a stock its a pistol when it comes back it will be a pistol. Then convert to a rifle.

kcstott
08-18-2013, 5:12 PM
mine was sent to JBI and he will be making a receiver from the AK-BUILDER M85 flat...

Thats a different deal. He would be manufacturing and then yes it would need to be shipped to your FFL for a transfer to you.

kcstott
08-18-2013, 5:17 PM
kcstott,

I appreciate your advice and understanding on this topic . I'm surprised no one else can chime in on this. I guess it boils down to whether or not one interprets a barreled receiver as a complete rifle subject to CA AW laws or not. Unfortunately I cannot find a law pertaining to this.

Here's the deal. Receivers are firearms pure and simple. With or with out a barrel it's still a firearm.
Cal AW law that we are dealing with is solely based on configuration. If it is inoperable I say you're good to go. but there again I'm not a lawyer so do what you feel comfortable doing when it's not black an white.

delfino
08-18-2013, 5:40 PM
Why not just send to him with a bullet button installed and a 0 round mag installed. Without a stock its a pistol when it comes back it will be a pistol. Then convert to a rifle.

Because the Nodak was DROS'ed as a rifle / long gun.

Here's the deal. Receivers are firearms pure and simple. With or with out a barrel it's still a firearm.
Cal AW law that we are dealing with is solely based on configuration. If it is inoperable I say you're good to go. but there again I'm not a lawyer so do what you feel comfortable doing when it's not black an white.

Yes, it will be inoperable. No FCG, BCG, grip, stock, mag, & recoil spring. Just the populated barrel w. pinned can & top cover & receiver w. trunnions.

kcstott
08-18-2013, 6:20 PM
Now I'm not trying to drum up business for my self and i'd have to say I couldn't take a build right now with all the stuff i've got going on but why not find someone willing to build with you locally??

Jayruta
08-18-2013, 6:36 PM
Then send it with bullet button and stock? Isn't It the ffls responsibility to assemble and ship it back to kommiefornia legal. I know a few people who have sent their kits and nodak receivers out of state for assembly and the ffl sent it back legally assembled.

calaveras
08-18-2013, 9:05 PM
As far as "assault weapons" go, it doesn't matter if it's an operable firearm. Check out the penal code on assault weapons (http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/genchar2).

Since your gun won't have any of the features attached to it at the time of shipping, it won't have a bullet button. If he were to attach a flash suppressor, then that would be a different story. But as long as your fake can doesn't have any flash suppressing capabilities, and you don't have any other evil features attached at the time of shipping, then you're good to go.

I'm not a lawyer, I'm just reading the penal code.

calaveras
08-18-2013, 9:08 PM
As far as overall length is concerned, I'd probably attach the stock (but not the pistol grip!) before shipping it out. Again, not a lawyer.