PDA

View Full Version : Building from a Milled Kit?

Varg Vikernes
08-13-2013, 7:49 PM
Anyone built an AK from a milled kit?

Worth the headache of finding front/rear trunnions?

Im Broken
08-13-2013, 8:18 PM
not worth the Mayhem.

nicoroshi
08-13-2013, 9:11 PM
I have brought back to life many milled kits (and taught others to do the same).

But......I am guessing that you're talking about the milled Bulgarian kits that are out there without receiver stubs, and not the Yugo kits that had original barrels, and the milled stubs intact.

For the Yugos>>>>Certainly worth the time, and effort to bring them back (re-weld).
For the Bulgarians without barrels, and stubs>>>> more of just spare parts than a AK kit IMHO.
Personally never bothered with them. After you source a barrel, front, and rear trunnions or milled receiver then have the barrel head spaced, and populated you're over the cost of a decent kit with trunnions, and a barrel that has that work already done to it.

If you really have to have a Bulgy milled for the collection then by all means but not really cost effective.

buellster
08-14-2013, 12:52 PM
I did one back when those kits were cheap. Used a Yugo take-off barrel and AK74 trunnions. I did it from parts I had lying around so it wasn't that expensive. But at the end, it's a frankenstein.