PDA

View Full Version : Do I need glass bedding on a Bell & Carlson Stock??

Mr Blu
08-13-2013, 4:11 PM
Hey y'all.

I've gotten bits and pieces regarding bedding, what to do it with, and which stocks need it.

I have a Remington SPS Tactical 308 with a factory issue Hogue stock on it and I want to put the following stock onto it, but I'm no gunsmith and I don't know much about bedding. I know it's supposed to help with accuracy, but I'm not sure about which materials I need to have used or which stocks need it.

Here is a link to the stock. The one on the top is what I am looking at.

http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-185/bell-carlson-2958-tactical/Detail

Any help is appreciated.

Gunsmith Dan
08-13-2013, 5:30 PM
First rule is always install the stock first and shoot it before you do any work to the stock. If you can get a 1/2 MOA at 100 yards shot after shot when the rifle is cold then heats up a bedding job will not help you much with a synthetic stock.

Bedding is mostly used to give the rifle a stable platform so you have shots placement in the same spot shot after shot no matter the conditions (wet, dry, hot, cold). The "side effect" is that you also can improve accuracy as well when the rifle has a stable platform. Wood stocks benefit alot more from bedding as they are more sensitive to temperature and humidity

Mr Blu
08-13-2013, 6:18 PM
First rule is always install the stock first and shoot it before you do any work to the stock. If you can get a 1/2 MOA at 100 yards shot after shot when the rifle is cold then heats up a bedding job will not help you much with a synthetic stock.

So in short, if the new stock works great, don't bother????

Toptuna
08-13-2013, 6:20 PM
So in short, if the new stock works great, don't bother????

yup

Gunsmith Dan
08-13-2013, 7:08 PM
ditto

Henry Shooter
08-13-2013, 7:21 PM
Not to take anything from stocky'a but visit RedHawkRifles.com for BC stocks. Better prices and better selection. Fast service to. Agree that you should shoot it before you change it.

Mr Blu
08-14-2013, 9:09 AM
Awesome.

Thanks everybody. I was worried that I would have to put another $500+ into my rifle that's already $2,300+. I understand that good rifles cost money, but there comes a time when it may be too much.

Ahhh...........who am I kidding!!:D

I want an M24 and Schmidt & Bender combo!!!:43:

bigred76
08-14-2013, 10:05 PM
My old Howa 1500 shot 1/2" groups at 100yd all day long inside a Bell and Carlson. It was not bedded. Get the stock, toss the barreled action inside and screw it down tight, and have fun.