PDA

View Full Version : 1894 rear sight oops

kielbasavw
07-26-2013, 12:29 AM
I removed the rear sight from my win94 to install a leupold scope mount which fits into the rear sight notch. When tapping the adapter piece that fits into the notch,(right to left) I noticed a sliver of metal on the opposite side (nothing seemed wrong as I was tapping not needing exsesive force).
I knocked it back out, and the barrel notch had the sliver cut out of it. Thinking the scope mount piece was over sized, I checked it. Factory site is tapered and the new piece mic'd out to same spec as largest end of factory sight.
The only issue I think I can see is that the factory piece is spring steel stamped into shape, and when wedged into the barels notch, it actually compresses and keeps tension to hold it in place. And since the leupold mount is a solid block, it would have no give and most likely technacily oversized.

I took out the sliver, and can see where the the piece stopped in the barrel, put a drop of red loctite and tapped it back in with no problems and seemed to still fit tight.

I'm kind of upset this happend, I have an ocd with these kind of things, my gut feeling tells me everything will be fine and it won't come lose (it also screws into the rear barrel band after I drill and tap it)

Just looking for some reassurance or If I indeed have a problem.

ar15barrels
07-26-2013, 12:37 AM
Wait until you actually have a problem to worry about actually having a problem.

kielbasavw
07-26-2013, 12:44 AM
Is it something common? Something that can be easily fixed or modified to be okay if it does become a problem?

ar15barrels
07-26-2013, 8:04 AM
Is it something common? Something that can be easily fixed or modified to be okay if it does become a problem?

Anxiety is common in society.
They have drugs for it.

kielbasavw
07-26-2013, 9:24 AM
Hardy har har......