PDA

View Full Version : want to get into it..

Dsal_13
07-23-2013, 8:13 PM
Hello all... I want to get into reloading.. but have no idea what to do, how to do it etc.. anyone want to throw me a bone and guide me in the direction to get started? I would appreciate it!

Thank you

dogslayer1313
07-23-2013, 8:13 PM
YouTube

CAL.BAR
07-23-2013, 8:17 PM
The reloading community hereabouts has been VERY generous with their time and knowledge. Let us know where you are and we can find you a mentor or refer you to a CalGuns reloading clinic to get started.

stilly
07-23-2013, 8:46 PM
Damn straight.

Good for you for coming here. You are clearly one of the much sought after Jr. members that shows up and has legitimate questions. :)

The first thing you need to decide is what kind of a reloader do you want to be.

Pistol? Rifle? Accurate rifle? This might help you determine the best stuff to start with. Are you reloading to save money? Are you reloading because of these ridiculous prices for ammunition that all of these panic buyers have imposed?

Then, you need to start your learning by obtaining a book or two or three. There are several books that are published by different manufacturers. They are mostly easy to read. I started with the Book of Lee (BoLee) otherwise known as Modern Reloading 2nd Edition, by Richard Lee. I have heard that Lyman is also a good book and so is the Hornady. The reason why you want a book is because it gives you something tangible to reference when you have questions. We say books, but really there are only a few chapters that you need to read, the majority of the books are load recipes and stuff for all different kinds of ammunition that they have tested and built. I have that I read the BoLee and took it as gospel, and then ended up breaking rules left and right, but if you want a large variety, the Book of Lee has I think the MOST published loads in history. I think the load size and pages comes the closest to a real bible. I mean, 700+ pages, most of which are recipes... The books will all point you in the right direction, some maybe better then others, but only the BoLee has all of those loads.

But really, every reloader SHOULD read one of those books to start with, it will give you your core education in reloading and you will already know the whats and whys and then if you are still missing information, you can go out and ask those questions here or other forums and we will be glad to assist you. I think total reading time on the books are about 1-3 hours of your time. They are really very simple, but cover many basic principles and explain a lot of things in good detail, like why you should be aware of powder burn rates and stuff like that, and double charging and all.

After that you need to purchase a press for your needs and then components and it is off to the races for you. We dunno where you are located at but if you look at the stickies at the top of this forum we have several reloading groups that meet up here and there and you can join into a session and learn with hands on experience and decide if you want to go further.

Some people think they want to reload but then they spend all of their money on a press and stuff and then decide it is too much for them or they have no more interest, usually though they are just crazy or rich. If you have a budget to start with, like around $500 or more you will have it easy, if you have about $200 to $500 then you will still have it easy, but you will have less press selections.

Just remember this press: Lee Classic Cast 4 Hole Turret. I think it is the BEST press for starters. It allows you to make rifle and pistol rounds fairly fast and it is easy to setup and kind of hard to get lost in the load and make a big mistake.

So remember that, Lee Classic Cast... Good luck.

Enfield47
07-23-2013, 9:38 PM
Buy the Lyman and Hornady reloading books and read up. YouTube is good source as well but nothing replaces hands on experience you will get at one of the reloading clinics. I took the reloading class and it was a great experience with lots of helpful advice. It's also a good way to try different reloading equipment and see what you like.

I bought the Lee Classic Turret press kit and really am happy with it. It's a great versatile press that you can use as a single stage too.

stevec223
07-23-2013, 11:57 PM
what stilly said... x 2.....cheers...

gemoose23
07-24-2013, 7:03 AM
Read this subforum stickies: all of them.. You'll find info, recipes, competition ammo, even Reloading Workshops where you learn by doing.

If you decide to not do that.. at least Read this one: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=108907

Whiterabbit
07-24-2013, 7:25 AM
I am sure that someone in Rancho Cucamonga reloads here and would be happy to show you the ropes. I've had a few calgunners come through my shop and reload. I ask they bring their dies, primers, powder, cases, bullets, and I have all the equipment setup and ready to go. dies not needed if its something I reload.

You show up at my shop with metal, leave with ammo.

I'm not the only guy that does this. I'd offer for you, but San Jose is a long way away :)

Dsal_13
07-24-2013, 3:11 PM
Wow.. Thank you guys for all the help.. I am definitely going in the right direction now!

'ol shooter
07-24-2013, 3:54 PM
What a great bunch of fellows! All great recommendations. If I may, i would like to recommend the ABC's of reloading as a valuable read for a beginning loader.

John Browning
07-24-2013, 4:08 PM
The Speer Manual, which comes as part of the Rockchucker kit, has a great section on reloading. I'd caution you on relying too much on Youtube and the internet. Anyone can post anything, and you won't know if you're watching an idiot or a genius. Read at least one manual by a reliable source.

Good luck and welcome. Reloading is a very rewarding hobby when done slowly and safely.

Colt562
07-24-2013, 4:33 PM
Check out one of you local reloading chapters....look in this thread but in the stickies for the closest one to you.

Ferrum
07-24-2013, 4:35 PM
Well said Stilly!

And what Colt said....

jklittich
07-24-2013, 4:39 PM
I have also started down the path of trying to educate myself on reloading and happened to come across this thread. Thank you for the responses, and for the recommendations on quality reading material.

Dsal_13
07-24-2013, 5:11 PM
once again Thank you all for helping not just me out but other members that were wondering the same thing!

Germz
07-24-2013, 5:18 PM
Don't drink the blue koolaid (dillon) just yet!!!!

stilly
07-24-2013, 7:53 PM
I am sure that someone in Rancho Cucamonga reloads here and would be happy to show you the ropes. I've had a few calgunners come through my shop and reload. I ask they bring their dies, primers, powder, cases, bullets, and I have all the equipment setup and ready to go. dies not needed if its something I reload.

You show up at my shop with metal, leave with ammo.

I'm not the only guy that does this. I'd offer for you, but San Jose is a long way away :)

You sure bout that? I zoomed out on a map and saw it was only an inch or two...

And as far as Youtube goes, I would have said youtube but youtube is not for new reloaders. And before you say "SURE IT IS!" Let's not forget that there are many things that new reloaders do not know because they are well, NEW. And youtube, oh yes, aint that the place that has PHENOMINAL REAL LIFE ZOMBIE FOOTAGE OF ZOMBIE OUTSIDE MY FENCE! And let's not forget the other 3 million sensationalistic GRAPHIC REAL LIFE FIRST TIME EVER FULL AUTO 22 CB LONG MAGNUM MACHINE GUN! And whatever else these fools can throw in at you to get you to go watch their videos and then they can get money... I started my own youtube channel and my intent was to educate people on building computers and installs and what not, but then I found myself shooting stupid **** like me "adjusting" my Belkin Omniport Pro with my Deagle. And of course, the latest videos I filmed of me trying to mow my yard but the stupid dog keeps coming over and attacking the lawn mower because he has a problem with it or something. Stupid things like this is why I did not say to go to youtube. As an experienced reloader you can go to youtube because you will already know what might be BS and what might not be BS. But as a new reloader, youtube should NOT be considered a credible source of information.

Sorry for such a late response. My damn graphica card konked out on me and left the screen dead, I tried to hit save and all but since I had no video out I could not see anything. So anyways now I have a NEW Geforce MX210 or whatever it is. Hey works for me... I have had it sitting around for over a year, might as well use it.

Enfield47
07-24-2013, 9:34 PM
YouTube has its share of misinformation and just bad info in general for reloaders. However, I did find that the videos by some like iraqveteran8888 were really good at explaining reloading for beginners. It helped me to see the process in action so that when I pieced that together with the Lyman manual I had a clearer understanding of how everything worked.

Dsal_13
07-24-2013, 10:47 PM
I was browsing around YouTube today.. I think it will be a decent source after I get set up and actually doing it. There are also.some.horrible videos. It's a hit and miss, but you guys have been very helpful

stilly
07-25-2013, 9:04 AM
Yes there are some good guys on youtube, there are also some dull and incorrect guys on youtube. I do not care to sort through the videos but it certainly does help to find a guy that is decent and then watch, sadly though not all guys know what they are doing, they use cheap camcorders and you get poor lighting and hideous audio like they are talking through a can. At least I use a shotgun mic and have an extra light source. :)
My problem with youtube is that if I stumble across a dull video I see 20 other videos off on the right and decide to go drifting. Next thing you know I am watching car crash compilations or sloth crossing street or who knows what mood I am in and go drifting to...

I did enjoy the Lee Classic Turret Modifications that I have seen, some are cool.

Whiterabbit
07-25-2013, 9:22 AM
And you know what? Those people you disagree with are producing ammunition that shoots just fine FOR THEM.

So just because you disagree with them doesn't mean that its not a perfectly fine way to make ammo. This is the major problem with "doing things the 'right' way." It implies there's only one way to accomplish something.

Meanwhile, if I were to load the "right" way as per some people here, I'd never make accurate ammo. Equally, those same people would tell me (even after I make hits at, say, 700 yards) my methods would never yield accurate ammo.

What's the point? for someone inexperienced reading this thread, I implore the what I call the Truman Takeaway. "Trust, but verify". Because what someone might say is "wrong" might yield safe and wonderful results. You don't have to explain it to enjoy it.

---------

By the way the "you" in this post is not any one 'you' in particular, but all of us individually. I'm not picking on anyone.

stilly
07-25-2013, 2:15 PM
And you know what? Those people you disagree with are producing ammunition that shoots just fine FOR THEM.

So just because you disagree with them doesn't mean that its not a perfectly fine way to make ammo. This is the major problem with "doing things the 'right' way." It implies there's only one way to accomplish something.

Meanwhile, if I were to load the "right" way as per some people here, I'd never make accurate ammo. Equally, those same people would tell me (even after I make hits at, say, 700 yards) my methods would never yield accurate ammo.

What's the point? for someone inexperienced reading this thread, I implore the what I call the Truman Takeaway. "Trust, but verify". Because what someone might say is "wrong" might yield safe and wonderful results. You don't have to explain it to enjoy it.

---------

By the way the "you" in this post is not any one 'you' in particular, but all of us individually. I'm not picking on anyone.

True true. I learned after reading around in anyplace but the Book of Lee that reloading is more of an art, not really a science.

As for reloading on youtube, I have not watched many but I can easily agree with you in that they may be doing something "wrong" but they are getting great results, which kinda goes back to the not a science comment. Of course we know what is considered right vs wrong, where newer folks might not. A primer is a primer to me when it comes to 44 mag and blue dot vs h-110 since I have a hard time telling the difference in shooting the loads. Now I am wondering if I should just LPP or LPM my 50AE shells before I put them back in the tub...

I started a thread about a year ago asking what other rules were people breaking besides using srp for spp and if I recall there were a lot of things that folks do that the BoLee says never do... But who is right? No such, I think that is an opinion on who is right or wrong, but if it works and is safe and yields the results that are desired, then so be it.

Whiterabbit
07-25-2013, 3:07 PM
im sorry, let me be clear.

Reloading is a science, not an art. Artists use science and call it an art when they don't understand the science. But that doesn't mean it is not science. And I don't have to understand the science of internal ballistics to reload. But that does not make it art.

There are "reading" scientists and "doing" scientists. The reading scientists read and theorize on a chalkboard. And they get very upset when the doing scientist goes and does something that denies what the reading scientist says reality should be. The doing scientist is told he did it wrong.

My point? you say youtubers are doing it wrong? Why? Because you read it somewhere? When the theory does not match the (assume good) data, you re-evaluate the theory.

stevec223
07-25-2013, 11:41 PM
hey new guys... read a book or three.... go to a reloading class or two...watch your buds do it a few times and ask questions.. measure three times and cut once... like anything else,,take new things slo...do it right the first time--- and everytime.... painstaking and maddenng at times-- but well worth the results... you will know if reloading is for you.... its not for everyone,, and thats ok... cheers..

Pauliedad
07-27-2013, 7:26 AM
#1. YouTube.
If you have half a brain, you can tell what makes sense and what doesn't. Most of the time if the guy can't even get decent video or audio, game over.
IF you're still intrigued, see #2.

#2. Get books and read them. Make notes of questions for future reference. Go back to YouTube and fine tune your curiosity.
#3. Do tons of research on what to buy for machine. YouTube again.

At this point I got serious about reading this forum. All true newb questions have been answered here and I found that more experienced loaders will take time to answer questions when its obvious the OP (original poster) did some research PRIOR to asking the question.
I guess there should be a label system of newb.
Lazy Newb.= youngest generation who doesn't do research well or at all. Maybe expects spoon feeding.
Green Newb = apologetic but still willing to ask. Will search twice then give up.
Newb= has done a lot of research but wants to be sure.
Veteran Newb= has done so much research he knows he doesn't even know what he doesn't know. Will ONLY answer questions or chime in with his OWN experiences.
I'd like to think I'm in the VN area and figure ill be there for a while.
Enjoy your homework!

Dsal_13
07-27-2013, 12:12 PM
Started reading the Lynman reloading handbook.. great info so far.. gonna order my kit here.in the next week or so

Dsal_13
07-27-2013, 6:54 PM
I just couldn't resist.. I bought my kit online today... I bought the lee classic value 4 hole turret kit.. I went off of reviews from people and professionals alike.. what does everyone think about that kit?

Enfield47
07-27-2013, 9:00 PM
Congrats! I love mine! I like that it come with the auto disk powder dispenser and the safety prime system. Be advised the instruction suck for attaching the safety prime to the turret press. I went online and found a video that shows the correct way to install it. To me it's kind of opposite of what you would think by looking at the part.