PDA

View Full Version : Any excercising folks turned reloaders? ID this weight pretty please.

stilly
07-15-2013, 10:59 AM
My dad offered me some weight pack (3 lbs) it was mustard yellow and looked rather old, I took it thinking it was from the 70s or 80s and was filled with lead.

I got it home, cut it opened and poured out the contents and this is what I found, Copper coated wires?

WTF? It is not magnetic, but WTF is it? Copper plated lead wires cut up? Zinc wires cut up?

I guess I can get a blow torch on it and see how fast it melts, but I was hoping to just find little lead shot or pellets...
Maybe it is lead because the insides of the cells were kinda dirty, slightly...

Any ideas on what this stuff is?

http://www.stillyvision.com/files/cg/weight.jpg

Ferrum
07-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Looks like copper coated zinc. The same set up they use in bus bars for electrical cabinets... I am not 100% certain, but I believe copper and zinc are a pretty typical combination because of electrolysis.

Definitely not certain though!

klewan
07-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Grab some bullets and then a handful of the mystery metal, lead will be heavy, equal to the bullets. Zinc, that will feel like aluminum.

sargenv
07-15-2013, 3:00 PM
You could also try to cut one with some side cutters.. if it slices right through, it is likely lead, if it is hard as steel, it is likely zinc or some other metal..

Flyin Brian
07-15-2013, 3:09 PM
looks like double-ended wad cutters to me :)

GeoffLinder
07-15-2013, 3:51 PM
You could also try to cut one with some side cutters.. if it slices right through, it is likely lead, if it is hard as steel, it is likely zinc or some other metal..

This ^^^^

Huntsprig
07-15-2013, 6:25 PM
Squeeze it with some pliers. If it crushes easily it is lead.

tiller
07-15-2013, 6:31 PM
Looks like copper coated zinc. The same set up they use in bus bars for electrical cabinets... I am not 100% certain, but I believe copper and zinc are a pretty typical combination because of electrolysis.

Definitely not certain though!

They use aluminum never heard of zinc as it isn't as conductive

C3nt3rMa55
07-15-2013, 6:45 PM
They use aluminum never heard of zinc as it isn't as conductive

Yep buss bars are either pure copper or alluminum.

stilly
07-15-2013, 6:52 PM
I was thinking of squeezing some, I will go out and do that now. I got some pissants that have moved into my garage and have been sizing up my reloading bench today while I was trying to fix a scale I had but damn, they did their job effectively because after ten minutes I got really pissed and left, but they have 7 less members of their tribe.

Spyder
07-15-2013, 7:56 PM
Weird. Why would weights be made out of something as light as aluminum or zinc?

stilly
07-15-2013, 8:35 PM
SUCKS. They are not soft, they are hard and go flying if you catch them at an angle.

So these things are good for nothing then but little weights it looks like...

Damn anyways. At least I was able to solder my scale back together and have it turn on. And I can not find where these damn ants are coming from. Maybe tomorrow if I see more I will terro bait them, until then I will consider them part of an expeditionary force that took heavy casualties in initial contact.

orangeusa
07-15-2013, 8:47 PM
Use in your blunderbuss.

stilly
07-15-2013, 9:36 PM
Or maybe pack some in the hollow points of my pellets when I shoot small game...