PDA

View Full Version : AKMS lost half a gas block pin. Now what?

chead
07-14-2013, 10:33 AM
One of the gas block pins in my AKMS seems to have broken in half and one of halves fell out (and is lost). The remaining half seems solid but there was some surface rust inside the channel and on the exposed face of the remaining half of the pin. The rust was pretty light and seems like it probably developed after the pin left the metal inside exposed. The gun has a few thousand rounds through it so I guess it's possible it was just fatigue and a weak pin.

What's next? Leave it alone and just let the remaining half-pin do its job? Punch out the remainder of the broken pin and replace it? Can I do this without a press?

Pictures:

http://i.imgur.com/ZTXo7Qvl.jpg

Lookin' good..

http://i.imgur.com/UvpIgmwl.jpg

Uh-oh!

gunRfun
07-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Punch out. And replace.

CK_32
07-14-2013, 10:43 AM
Replace it? :shrug:

chead
07-14-2013, 10:45 AM
If replace is the answer, can I just do it with a brass hammer? Do I have to size up the pin from the standard 3mm?

SOAR79
07-14-2013, 10:53 AM
What kind of finish is that?? parts look great

6mmintl
07-14-2013, 11:11 AM
If that pin broke upon installation I would hate to see what the inside (bulged?) of the barrel looks like.

chead
07-14-2013, 11:37 AM
What kind of finish is that?? parts look great
Duracoat from Poway Weapons and Gear.

If that pin broke upon installation I would hate to see what the inside (bulged?) of the barrel looks like.
The bore is good, it shoots well.

Dhena81
07-14-2013, 11:41 AM
Punch out. And replace.

Replace it? :shrug:

Yup

OP what do you mean by saying you might need to up size it?

MrPlink
07-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Oversized pin I'm guessing

bigbob76
07-14-2013, 11:56 AM
I'm still a beginner with AKs but here is what I suspect. When populating the barrel some builders may be drilling a little bit from both sides and putting 2 short pins in rather than drilling all the way through and running the risk of ending up off center with one long pin. But then again I've been wrong about a lot of stuff.

chead
07-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Yup

OP what do you mean by saying you might need to up size it?

Because a 3mm pin was already driven through. Another 3mm pin may not hold.

chead
07-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Is it reasonable to punch a pin in by hand or does it require a press?

bigbob76
07-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Is it reasonable to punch a pin in by hand or does it require a press?

You could put a short pin in the side where one fell out. It could even be a cut off drill bit shank. You can tap it in with a hammer at first and then a drift/punch to keep from leaving pecker marks. To keep it from coming out again you could stake it (punch the material closest to the pin until there is solid contact). If you accidentally put in a pin that is too long carefully Dremel it flush.

chead
07-14-2013, 12:34 PM
I saw someone mention the drill bit trick on another forum. Are they all 3mm? That sounds like a good plan at least in the interim to get it shootable again.

kalieracer
07-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Just get a new pin and punch it in. Do you have a set of calipers?

chead
07-14-2013, 1:08 PM
Just get a new pin and punch it in. Do you have a set of calipers?

A not very good set so this is a good opportunity to pick some up ;)

SVT-40
07-14-2013, 9:36 PM
No big deal just find a nail which is a tad bigger than the hole... Drive it in and cut off both protruding ends....

Mamluke
07-14-2013, 10:39 PM
No big deal just find a nail which is a tad bigger than the hole... Drive it in and cut off both protruding ends....

.... I like this guy ^^^^

:D

Pryde
07-14-2013, 11:14 PM
The correct pin is 3mm and it should fit in there fine, punch out the old one.

Don't use a nail, that just sounds like a recipe for disaster where you will either elongate and stretch the pinholes or get the nail permanently wedged behind the pin half.

Right tool for the right job, find someplace online and order one so you have no regrets.

hellayella
07-14-2013, 11:57 PM
.... I like this guy ^^^^

:D

kyber pass ingenuity! WAh lah!!!! :D

bigbob76
07-15-2013, 4:24 AM
The correct pin is 3mm and it should fit in there fine, punch out the old one.

Don't use a nail, that just sounds like a recipe for disaster where you will either elongate and stretch the pinholes or get the nail permanently wedged behind the pin half.

Right tool for the right job, find someplace online and order one so you have no regrets.

Correct? Is that making an assumption that when the barrel was populated the builder used a 3mm pin? Is that also assuming the builder drilled all the way through so a single pin could be used?

nicoroshi
07-15-2013, 4:32 AM
Punch out and replace.
Can punch by hand although a press is a better option if available.

SVT-40
07-15-2013, 8:15 PM
Once the piece is removed it's simple to use a round file or slightly larger drill bit to smooth the hole... As far a using a nail..... I've found the original pins used on most AK's are similar in hardness to most nails....It would be foolish to use a metal which was to hard, as that would lead to the pin snapping. (which may have caused the pin in this case to snap in two) In fact a softer metal will conform to the hole better, and by compressing slightly will fill voids better than a harder pin....

Jayruta
07-15-2013, 8:36 PM
Chead I have pins and can replace it for the cost of the pin and a small tip :) . I'm in san diego

chead
07-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Chead I have pins and can replace it for the cost of the pin and a small tip :) . I'm in san diego

That would be amazing, thabks! I'll follow up on a PM.

chead
07-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Big thanks to Jay for helping me out with this!

CSACANNONEER
07-19-2013, 10:18 AM
I'd leave it alone. But, if I was anal, I'd punch the other half out, chase the hole with a drill bit of the appropriate size and then make a pin from the next size up wire gauge drill bit shaft.

SJgunguy24
07-19-2013, 6:46 PM
There's a reason why I keep heat treatable rod in 3mm, 4mm, 7mm, and .125" dowel pins.