PDA

View Full Version : Scope Going From Pellet Gun to Mini 14

raws
07-12-2013, 4:48 PM
Hey I just put a Bushnell Banner 1-4.5x32 from my old pellet gun on my new (to me) mini 14 but I just heard that having the scope on a pellet gun ruins it. Whats the deal with this? My pellet gun is a Benjamin 397 pa and its multi-pump if it matters. I was going to go try to sight it in tomorrow. Any suggestions? Am I wasting my time?

Bravodigger
07-12-2013, 4:55 PM
Go sight it in.

axhoaxho
07-12-2013, 5:00 PM
In a nutshell... airgun recoil goes forward, rifle recoil goes backward.

Scopes 'usually' are designed for one or another, hence 'could' be damaged by the different direction of the recoil.

StraightShooter
07-12-2013, 5:53 PM
In a nutshell... airgun recoil goes forward, rifle recoil goes backward.

Scopes 'usually' are designed for one or another, hence 'could' be damaged by the different direction of the recoil.

Um...... No

Thorax
07-12-2013, 6:10 PM
Um...... No

Um.....yes.
That is the correct short answer.

The long answer is that the scope that came on your 75$ pellet gun is garbage at best and not worth the space it takes up in the trash can.

Just shoot the thing with iron sights....jeez.

G21Shooter
07-12-2013, 7:26 PM
First, the type of pellet gun you have, a multi pump pneumatic WILL NOT damage a scope.

The types of the pellet guns that can damage scopes are spring piston break barrel guns. The two direction recoil can wreck scopes not designed for them.

In your case, your good to go with that scope on your Mini 14. Enjoy!

StraightShooter
07-12-2013, 8:32 PM
Um.....yes.
That is the correct short answer.

The long answer is that the scope that came on your 75$ pellet gun is garbage at best and not worth the space it takes up in the trash can.

Just shoot the thing with iron sights....jeez.

Ok, explain to me the physics of how propulsion can occur without an equal and opposite reaction. This should be interesting.

Break barrel piston guns will move forward after recoiling backward but the OP's rifle is not a spring piston rifle. Even then semi auto rifles like AR's have the same dual recoil phenomenon when the heavy bolt carrier slams back into battery. The real issue is that most air gun scopes are poorly made to begin with.

Thorax
07-13-2013, 6:31 AM
Exactly how would anyone be able to explain physics to you ?

You're right, we're wrong and with that being your opinion it cannot possibly change.

CSACANNONEER
07-13-2013, 6:53 AM
First, the air rifle in question does not produce the same "reverse recoil" as a spring piston gun does. Secondly, any cartridge rifle with a decent muzzle brake will produce the same "reverse recoil" as a spring piston airgun will. So, some rifle scopes will fail on both spring piston air rifles and cartridge guns with MBs and other optics are built to handle the recoil these guns produce.

As far as the OP's scope is concerned, if it holds a zero on his pump air rifle, it'll hold a zero on his mini.

StraightShooter
07-13-2013, 7:13 AM
Exactly how would anyone be able to explain physics to you ?

You're right, we're wrong and with that being your opinion it cannot possibly change.

Just a simple explanation of why Newton's third law of motion doesn't apply to air rifles would suffice. I guess it's just too much to ask.

Altahick
07-13-2013, 11:08 AM
First, the type of pellet gun you have, a multi pump pneumatic WILL NOT damage a scope.

The types of the pellet guns that can damage scopes are spring piston break barrel guns. The two direction recoil can wreck scopes not designed for them.

In your case, your good to go with that scope on your Mini 14. Enjoy!

ding ding ding