PDA

View Full Version : Assault weapons or Rifles if new la passes.

Pmoore87
07-04-2013, 2:30 PM
Hey fellow Calgunners,
I am usually pretty good at reading legal jargon but these bils keep getting more and more confusing each time they go through a committee. As far as I understand my rifles should all be non assault weapons.

N0.1 Marlin Model 60 tube fed .22lr because it is tube fed. Or will I have to install some kind of a plug to keep it at or below 10rds instead of the 14 it takes now.

No. 2 91/30 Mosin Nagant because it does not take a detachable magazine and it bolt operated.

No. 3 the M1 Garand I am going to acquire this weekend because it takes ecbloc clips and cannot hold more than 8.

The rest of our firearms are handguns and should already be ok. My wife has basically given on of them to me because she has a fused spine with rods and as time runs its course it has become to painful for her to shoot. I recently found out we have to send in some paperwork for that. But I cannot seem to figure out if that is going to change.

Also this new lending law attached to the magazine or rebuild kit law (I can't remember which atm) seems to me to make it so that if either of us goes to the range carrying the others gun we are supposed to go through and FFL and do a loan with a DROS if this law passes. I say this because they seem to have not expressly exempted it. Completely silly law if that's the case and just some way to take more money from us, as if the state does not get enough.

Hopefully none of this passes because it seems to me that they will just end up having to waste more time and money of ours correcting the shortcomings of hastily passed laws that these fools whom know nothing of firearms should never have tried to make laws from a place of ignorance to begin with. I wont ramble too much here but this legislature is completely FUBAR!

Quiet
07-04-2013, 3:08 PM
There are multiple proposed assault weapons bills currently in the legislature and, if any do, it depends on which of the bill(s) get passed into laws.
Because each bill has a slightly different definition of what an "assault weapon" might be.

unusedusername
07-04-2013, 3:24 PM
Also, they can still ammend the bills so we won't know what they mean until after they pass, unless we are successful at killing the bad bills.

Pmoore87
07-04-2013, 3:34 PM
I hope we are. I have just been pouring myself into writing letters sending faxes, calling, etc. I really hope we succeed, and that they listen. Otherwise they will have to learn after the fact when they no longer have jobs. I am trying to keep up on all the amendments however I am not a lawyer.

I have a feeling quite a few of them will end up tabled. A few have been already, and its looking like the assembly is much closer to center than the nutcase senators we are fighting against. The hardest part I am running into is getting people to actually get involved and to drop the defeatist attitude.

otteray
07-04-2013, 4:46 PM
Hey fellow Calgunners,
As far as I understand my rifles should all be non assault weapons....

N0.1 Marlin Model 60 tube fed .22lr because it is tube fed. Or will I have to install some kind of a plug to keep it at or below 10rds instead of the 14 it takes...

WHAT? :eek:

Pmoore87
07-04-2013, 5:22 PM

This is all if it passes, and what passes. But its written very confusing. Ridiculous if a Model 60 is an assault weapon. Maybe if your assaulting squirrels and rabbits right? I love my 60, best .22lr ever devised.

Quiet
07-04-2013, 6:25 PM
This is all if it passes, and what passes. But its written very confusing. Ridiculous if a Model 60 is an assault weapon. Maybe if your assaulting squirrels and rabbits right? I love my 60, best .22lr ever devised.

Last amended from SB374...

SEC. 2.
Section 30515 of the Penal Code is amended to read:
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, “assault weapon” also means any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, rimfire or centerfire rifle that does not have a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept no more than 10 rounds.

The Marlin Model 60 is a semi-auto rimfire rifle that has a fixed magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds, therefore it meets this proposed legislation's definition of an assault weapon.

Meplat
07-04-2013, 6:27 PM

Wake up and smell the coffee! That's the way I read 374! That means almost all tube fed .22 autos will be AW's and have to be registered as such. It also means that if you hand one to a person under 18 you are a felon! Then you have to deal with what will be defined as a round of ammunition. How many shorts will the Model 60 hold? Is it restricted to a tube no longer than will hold 10 shorts? This is a nightmare!

I submit that the most ubiquitous rifle in the United States today, is the tube fed .22 RF automatic. Generations of Americans have learned to shoot with them. There will be millions of accidental felons if 374 passes. If we had the money to mount even a minimal advertising campaign we could stop that one, I'm sure.

BTW: I share your love and respect for the Model 60. You can pay twice as much for a 10-22, then send it off to a prestigious shop in Texas and pay them another $300 or more to accurize it; and when you get it back it might, just might, shoot with a Marlin. :D

NOTABIKER
07-04-2013, 7:08 PM
1. savage bolt action 22lr 5 round mag
2. mosin nagant bolt action 5 round fixed mag
3. SKS fixed 10 round mag no pistol grip .
this is the future in CA, this is what i am keeping.

radgokart
07-04-2013, 7:30 PM
Let's wait to see what happens. The last thing we all want is for someone to troll this thread and see a “GTG" response which will give them an idea for a new amendment. Even if the bills pass and you're forced to register, you will get to keep your rifles on day 1.

tpc13
07-04-2013, 7:44 PM
Quit trying to figure which rifles are going to be illegal! It's only a matter of time and all your guns will be illegal. Are u going to give into their commie way of thinking. If u are then your submitting to their rule. Last I checked I did not vote for them cronies. What they are doing is chipping away at your rights little by little. Stand up and fight. Join Cal guns, NRA, call your congressman, Assemblymen email and simply fight. Registration leads to confiscation or haven't you heard!

Knife Edge
07-04-2013, 7:59 PM
I'm out of state but people are actually laughing at us in CA. My plan is to simply ignore the laws that go against the 2A.

Pmoore87
07-04-2013, 9:39 PM
Quit trying to figure which rifles are going to be illegal! It's only a matter of time and all your guns will be illegal. Are u going to give into their commie way of thinking. If u are then your submitting to their rule. Last I checked I did not vote for them cronies. What they are doing is chipping away at your rights little by little. Stand up and fight. Join Cal guns, NRA, call your congressman, Assemblymen email and simply fight. Registration leads to confiscation or haven't you heard!

Excuse me, the "commie" way of thinking. I do hope you are not talking to me. We are just talking here. Not giving into giving up our guns by any means. And I am a member of NRA, Calguns, NAGR, thank you very much. And yes Ca is one of the only examples of actual confiscation. I have been e-mailing, faxing, calling. Literally all day every day. I am disabled and this fight we have on our hands has been my primary focus for months now. I have to admit though I had to turn of the Senate public safety committee because the pure ignorance was making me that angry.

I still do not think the Model 60 is subject to the law here though.
SEC. 2.
Section 30515 of the Penal Code is amended to read:
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, “assault weapon” also means any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, rimfire or centerfire rifle that does not have a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept no more than 10 rounds.

My case in point is that this proposed law deals with firearms that DO NOT have a fixed magazine. The law goes further in SB374 to outline how a firearms ownership card (registration) shall have to be submitted for certain weapons and that part of the law expressly exempts firearms that have a fixed magazine and shotguns purchased prior to Jan 1st, 2014. it is sec B.

Either way this is not the law as of now and we have to just keep fighting. We have to get every gun owner we all know off the bench and into the ring. Too many people I have met already decided that we lost and their was no point, yet they still complain. We need to get all of them in the fight as well regardless of their poopy attitudes. We can beat this, look at the lead ammo ban that was tabled earlier this week. They are now on legislative recess until the 5th of August with the 16th and 30th being the last days for these bills to be voted and continued by the fiscal and policy committees before the bills essentially die and wont be re-introduced for some time. Most of the bills will die here.

We have a month now to get the people to submit their objections while the legislatures are on recess and in district. We need to send them our message so loud and clear they will be afraid to even convene on the proposed bills again.

.30-06
07-05-2013, 1:21 AM
I highly doubt it will pass. The last thing the DOJ wants is to be swamped because everyone and their grandmother's 10/22's are now considered AW's. Just my two cents, take it for what it is. These stupid politicians can propose these new laws all they want, but their "noble quests" run on money, not sunshine and unicorn farts. I almost hope they pass this new law so it can get repealed the s*** out of to the point where the politicians won't be able to touch the matter again.

tpc13
07-05-2013, 11:42 AM
No I'm not talking about u. Didn't mean it that way. I meant the cronies are all the politicians who think that passing new gun laws will deter crime. They are the cronies the uneducated pukes in our state

chris
07-05-2013, 12:20 PM
I highly doubt it will pass. The last thing the DOJ wants is to be swamped because everyone and their grandmother's 10/22's are now considered AW's. Just my two cents, take it for what it is. These stupid politicians can propose these new laws all they want, but their "noble quests" run on money, not sunshine and unicorn farts. I almost hope they pass this new law so it can get repealed the s*** out of to the point where the politicians won't be able to touch the matter again.

khamala harris doesn't care.

Pmoore87
07-05-2013, 12:40 PM
I with you on the getting it repealed to the point that they can never try again. And that it defines the Federal law to the point that even the old style Ca AR's become legal because the ruling sets precedent and cancels it. Much like what has happened to Prop 8. Which I was glad to see because its stupid in the first place. It has no bearing on my life, it does not change the legitimacy of my marriage or anything about it, and who really cares what they do.
But I digress, I do not want to register any firearms, but it would also be great to see our civil rights restored and the registries destroyed.
However I agree, I do not think they will pass, at the most I expect a veto from Gov. Brown and the law dying there. I saw a Calgunner state that Jerry does not want to be the guy who enacts sweeping gun control as his legacy, he wants to be the guy who balances the state out financially and who bettered our schools. But I still expect it will die in committee after the Aug 16th deadline. And of course Steinberg will try again with a far less sweeping ban and it will fail once more. Just like the now 4 attempts to put .05 cent per round tax.

AeroEngi
07-05-2013, 1:09 PM

This!

Instead of thinking which of your guns will become assault weapons, look at the bigger picture. Their eventual goal is complete disarmament and without our unified efforts, they'll get exactly that. Email, write, fax and call to express your opposition to these bills.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

QQQ
07-05-2013, 2:33 PM
I don't care what they call legal and illegal; it's all the same to me. I'm not going to do squat in terms of registration whether they pass these laws or not. Most gun owners won't register anything, either.

tpc13
07-05-2013, 3:01 PM
Class action law suits will follow! "Shall not be infringed" means what it says! Feinstein, Bloomberg, skinner, ect.

G21Shooter
07-05-2013, 3:09 PM
unless we are successful at killing the bad bills.

This is our only option, we need to get these bills killed ASAP.

totus44
07-06-2013, 8:50 AM
Until the CA legislators realize that dire consequences will follow their actions, they will happily Sheppard the flock of lemmings over the cliff.

2nd Mass
07-06-2013, 6:26 PM
This is our only option, we need to get these bills killed ASAP.

Agreed, we need to call, fax and email our reps regarding these bills. We can also help Vidak (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=787392) (he only needed 116 more votes last time) get elected this July to get a pro 2A NRA member in the State Senate! That's right folks, we can start breaking their stronghold this month! Stop the bills by writing our reps and by getting pro 2A politicians elected!

ImprezaSTI
07-07-2013, 3:34 PM
3. SKS fixed 10 round mag no pistol grip .
this is the future in CA, this is what i am keeping.

Good luck with the SKS. Feinstein had it on her list as Type-56 rifles and similar. And all guns with a bayonet mount are on the chopping block as well.

SOAR79
07-08-2013, 8:46 AM
^^^horrible

Pmoore87
07-08-2013, 9:12 AM
Good luck with the SKS. Feinstein had it on her list as Type-56 rifles and similar. And all guns with a bayonet mount are on the chopping block as well.

Bayonet mounted on or bayonet lug? I really don't wanna pipe saw my bayonet lug off my Garand.

Pmoore87
07-08-2013, 9:15 AM
This!

Instead of thinking which of your guns will become assault weapons, look at the bigger picture. Their eventual goal is complete disarmament and without our unified efforts, they'll get exactly that. Email, write, fax and call to express your opposition to these bills.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Especially while they are on recess in district. Get an audience and give them the best damn lobby you can muster. We just gotta keep flooding the phones, inbox's, and fax que's. Right now I have all my spare $ funneling into our allies.

NOTABIKER
07-08-2013, 9:35 AM
Wake up and smell the coffee! That's the way I read 374! That means almost all tube fed .22 autos will be AW's and have to be registered as such. It also means that if you hand one to a person under 18 you are a felon! Then you have to deal with what will be defined as a round of ammunition. How many shorts will the Model 60 hold? Is it restricted to a tube no longer than will hold 10 shorts? This is a nightmare!

I submit that the most ubiquitous rifle in the United States today, is the tube fed .22 RF automatic. Generations of Americans have learned to shoot with them. There will be millions of accidental felons if 374 passes. If we had the money to mount even a minimal advertising campaign we could stop that one, I'm sure.

BTW: I share your love and respect for the Model 60. You can pay twice as much for a 10-22, then send it off to a prestigious shop in Texas and pay them another $300 or more to accurize it; and when you get it back it might, just might, shoot with a Marlin. :D

sure glad i bought a SAVAGE MARK 2 FV HEAVY BARREL BOLT ACTION 22LR.

tuolumnejim
07-08-2013, 12:04 PM
I'm out of state but people are actually laughing at us in CA. My plan is to simply ignore the laws that go against the 2A.

That would be all of them.

uhlan1
07-08-2013, 9:00 PM
khamala harris doesn't care.

Smart man.

-hanko
07-09-2013, 8:16 AM
Class action law suits will follow! "Shall not be infringed" means what it says! Feinstein, Bloomberg, skinner, ect.
:rolleyes:
California gun owners still can't figure out how to sue TheExpertish for the abortive Nagant group buy. What makes you think they can organize enough to sue the state?

...I saw a Calgunner state that Jerry does not want to be the guy who enacts sweeping gun control as his legacy, he wants to be the guy who balances the state out financially and who bettered our schools.
And the governor has told him this, or that's just something the Calgunner imagines or heard on the web?

Until the CA legislators realize that dire consequences will follow their actions, they will happily Sheppard the flock of lemmings over the cliff.
Until California gun owners get off the computer and go vote, they'll get the same or worse.

Look at the turnout for the recent LA District Attorney election. :eek:

Y'all should hang your heads in shame...a large part of the current weapons legislation is your own fault.

-hanko

stix213
07-09-2013, 1:28 PM
This should still be legal to posses, but you can't carry, and you can't bring it to school otherwise your kid will get suspended.

http://truthinreligionandpolitics.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/finger-gun.jpg?w=610

Pmoore87
07-09-2013, 2:16 PM
:rolleyes:
California gun owners still can't figure out how to sue TheExpertish for the abortive Nagant group buy. What makes you think they can organize enough to sue the state?

And the governor has told him this, or that's just something the Calgunner imagines or heard on the web?

Until California gun owners get off the computer and go vote, they'll get the same or worse.

Y'all should hang your heads in shame...a large part of the current weapons legislation is your own fault.

-hanko

To your first statement I say In reply to this I say I am perfectly willing to put my name on a class action to support the cause. However I only know enough about the law to get us into hot water so I am gonna need some help. Are you in California??

To the second one I say, It was just his opinion, I thought that much was obvious. However I lean towards agreeing with him by judging the man, and how he behaves politically.

And to part three I say, that is why Nor Cal rules!

I must ask though, have you given up the fight? Your negativity and obvious cynical pessimism would lead one to believe that you are not being active in the fight because you have decided its a lost cause. Not trying to be insulting its just what I deducted from your statements. Either that or you have made the exodus out of Ca.

otteray
07-09-2013, 2:33 PM
This should still be legal to posses, but you can't carry, and you can't bring it to school otherwise your kid will get suspended.

http://truthinreligionandpolitics.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/finger-gun.jpg?w=610

I had a pal in grammar school with only those two fingers on his hand due to his mom taking thalidomide, m80 firecrackers or something.
Today, would he have to have a CCW licence and keep his hand in his pocket?

-hanko
07-09-2013, 6:26 PM
To your first statement I say In reply to this I say I am perfectly willing to put my name on a class action to support the cause. However I only know enough about the law to get us into hot water so I am gonna need some help. Are you in California??

Only between ~mid-January and mid-April. ;)

And to part three I say, that is why Nor Cal rules!

No lie. Same as Fort Worth > Dallas, The City > San Jose, etc.

I must ask though, have you given up the fight? Your negativity and obvious cynical pessimism would lead one to believe that you are not being active in the fight because you have decided its a lost cause. Not trying to be insulting its just what I deducted from your statements. Either that or you have made the exodus out of Ca.
I never gave up the fight...registered a single "assault" weapon in 2001, might have had more, but I forget.

Hypothetically could have ignored pistol registration upon returning to California.

Tossed the confiscation letter regarding SKS's due to the grenade launcher.

Give $$$ to the NRA every year, and did starting at the age of 18 in California.

I vote in every election possible, dog catcher on up.

The "fight" in California is not winnable with the current Legislature. Were it, California's laws would not become more burdensome to gun owners each year. E.g., when I was in high school a long time ago, I and a couple of friends would bring guns to school and drive to the coast to shoot after school...Surfer's Beach just a little south of Maverick's. Occasionally a SM sheriff's deputy would stop by, give us some tips, admire our .22's, and tell us to be safe.

One thing about being a pessimist is that you're never disappointed.:D

Other than getting married and raising kids, best thing I've done so far is to gtf out of California and move to Idaho...

-hanko

chris
07-09-2013, 7:43 PM
Until the CA legislators realize that dire consequences will follow their actions

there are no consequences for these buffoons.

chris
07-09-2013, 7:50 PM
-hanko

we are totally outnumbered here. there are more people who view guns in a negative way than positive. so voting really means nothing here. in the last 20 years I have seen this state go completely the other way and in a bad way at that.

yeah ok keep thinking that way.
-hanko

the last election in LA was a joke unto itself the candidates are the same. they have the same views and voting records both are endorsed by the same unions that are raping the city, county of LA and the state as well. this state is not of the people it is of the unions that control the legislators period.

best thing I've done so far is to gtf out of California and move to Idaho...

-hanko

you said the best thing you did was move out of state. so what do you care.

pluke the 2
07-09-2013, 8:06 PM
IBT

I WILL NOT COMPLY

Ford8N
07-09-2013, 8:14 PM
we are totally outnumbered here. there are more people who view guns in a negative way than positive. so voting really means nothing here. in the last 20 years I have seen this state go completely the other way and in a bad way at that.

the last election in LA was a joke unto itself the candidates are the same. they have the same views and voting records both are endorsed by the same unions that are raping the city, county of LA and the state as well. this state is not of the people it is of the unions that control the legislators period.

Yes.

-hanko
07-09-2013, 10:12 PM
I care because I still have family, many friends, and property there.

Plus, I hate to see it go down the drain, not only with guns but taxes and the general philosophy of a super nanny state.

-hanko

Pmoore87
07-10-2013, 12:22 PM
I care because I still have family, many friends, and property there.

Plus, I hate to see it go down the drain, not only with guns but taxes and the general philosophy of a super nanny state.

-hanko

I understand still caring, but scolding when you have already left is kinda pig headed IMO. If you wanna scold than you ought to move back and vote. Deal with the laws like the rest of us, not scold and then gloat that you left and don't have to deal with it anymore.