PDA

View Full Version : Lee's unbrakeable decapping pin and a hammer

Munny$hot
07-04-2013, 8:19 AM
Lee's unbreakable decapping pin is a great idea since it doesn't break the pin if it's not aligned with the flash hole, but its a pain in the pattudy to have to loosen the tension but to reset it. Have you ever used a hammer to lightly tap it back into place?

Solus
07-04-2013, 8:23 AM
Unbreakable? No its breakable I broke mine on my original 223 set. I have used a hammer to tap it back in but it wears out the grove in which it is tightened on. You can tighten it up more but eventually itll fail. Best not to hit it with a hammer.

jameshenry
07-04-2013, 8:51 AM
I had to slow my motions to make sure the case got indexed fully. You might get bounce out of position if you'r going too fast. Happy 4th. :patriot:

uhlan1
07-04-2013, 9:07 AM
Trust me, they break. Always have some extras.

Bumslie
07-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Trust me, they break. Always have some extras.

Yup, new reloader broke mine last OC class. Which reminds me, I have to order some more :p

kylednf
07-05-2013, 3:58 AM
I have used a hammer before :/

stilly
07-05-2013, 1:05 PM
Lee's unbreakable decapping pin is a great idea since it doesn't break the pin if it's not aligned with the flash hole, but its a pain in the pattudy to have to loosen the tension but to reset it. Have you ever used a hammer to lightly tap it back into place?

It is not unbreakable. I had mine so tight that instead of pushing the pin up, it DID break when I tried to decap a berdan 7.62x54 shell.

I broke two of them as a matter of fact...

Then I realized it was not a boxer primed shell.

Using a hammer to reset them? No. Not a good idea. Why do you have a problem finding two wrenches? Harbor freight is your friend.

milotrain
07-07-2013, 12:29 PM
I use a hammer to reset the pin all the time. But once you do you need to tighten the collet again so it's a wash. I use the universal decapping die and it's saved me an expensive decapping rod on my dillon die so it's totally worth it.

However, dillon pistol dies have a floating decapping rod which finds the hole even if it's offset. And since berdan primed pistol brass is fairly rare I don't bother decapping pistol brass in a separate step.

Fishslayer
07-07-2013, 1:22 PM
Have you ever used a hammer to lightly tap it back into place?

Nope. It's not really that hard to reset if you own wrenches...:rolleyes:

spencerhut
07-07-2013, 5:26 PM
When installed just right the Lee decapping pin will back when misaligned or when you hit a berdan primer. I have for years whacked it back in place with a hammer once I make sure the case in question is not berdan and I have everything lined up properly. I've broke one .308 and one .223 decapping pin over the years, both when I was doing something stupid. The Lee dies really are a good deal.

bohoki
07-07-2013, 5:29 PM
i broke a 9mm one once it was my fault because somehow a spent primer ended up in a case and caused the pin to skew and snap

h0use
07-08-2013, 5:13 AM
If you break it just call lee and they will send you a new one for free!