PDA

View Full Version : HELP, Dillion 650 crimping

pirate1655
07-02-2013, 8:31 PM
Problem with crimping 223 on Dillion 650.
I've got everything else set up just fine but the crimp doesn't seem to want to hold no matter where I set it.

I'm using all Dillion dies and I've done everything the instructions say, so now what. Frustrated.
Pirate1655

Dark Mod
07-02-2013, 8:41 PM
Not sure i completely understand, but let me throw a few things at you and tell me if any sound relevant.

1. What do you mean by crimp doesnt hold? Is crimp being applied and its not holding the bullet in or is it not applying any crimp at all?

If its not applying crimp at all, back the bullet seating plug out, screw down the seating die until you get the crimp desired, then screw the bullet seating plug down until it touches the bullet and your set.

If you are applying a crimp and its not holding the bullet in, its probably because the case wasnt sized properly.

I typically dont even crimp .223 since a properly resized case has enough neck tension to hold the bullet in place.

Colt562
07-02-2013, 8:48 PM
Not sure i completely understand, but let me throw a few things at you and tell me if any sound relevant.

1. What do you mean by crimp doesnt hold? Is crimp being applied and its not holding the bullet in or is it not applying any crimp at all?

If its not applying crimp at all, back the bullet seating plug out, screw down the seating die until you get the crimp desired, then screw the bullet seating plug down until it touches the bullet and your set.

If you are applying a crimp and its not holding the bullet in, its probably because the case wasnt sized properly.

I typically dont even crimp .223 since a properly resized case has enough neck tension to hold the bullet in place.

this although, I crimp 223 just because I can. Not necessary if you size cases correctly.

jj805
07-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Problem with crimping 223 on Dillion 650.
I've got everything else set up just fine but the crimp doesn't seem to want to hold no matter where I set it.

I'm using all Dillion dies and I've done everything the instructions say, so now what. Frustrated.
Pirate1655

If your bullets are pressing in really easily and can be shoved in by a light bump on the bullet, you have the same issue I had at the workshop on Sunday. The Dillon die set that has the crimping die included is said to have a larger than normal expander ball. So does the Lee Pacesetter set. If you want to borrow my Lee factory crimp die to see if it will fix your crimping problem, send me a PM, and I will get it to you.

Supposedly, the root of the problem is the expander ball is ground to 0.225" instead of 0.222". You could take the expander ball out of the sizing die, and measure it to be 100% sure. I polished my Lee expander ball down to 0.222" yesterday so I don't have to worry about crimping. On Sunday, the brass that was sized to 0.225" definitely needed to be crimped. I could tap on the nose of the bullet very lightly, and the bullet would almost fall into the case.

pirate1655
07-03-2013, 2:22 AM
I measured the diameter of the bullets and they are 22.35- 22.40. And the expander ball is also 22.35. So now I know what the problem is but I've heard you can't sand down the expander ball in Dillion dies because they are carbide.
Let me know if anyone has an Idea on that issue.

Thanx,
Pirate1655

ExtremeX
07-03-2013, 10:26 AM
Are you sure you are using the right bullets...? .224 is for .223 Ammo

If you are getting variation reading bullets… you may need a new set of calipers, they may lack the resolution you need for finer readings.

pirate1655
07-03-2013, 1:04 PM
All the bullets I've used say they are .224 right now the ones that slip through into the case are 52 gr. Vmax hornady. Are these not the right ones? they say .224

Dark Mod
07-03-2013, 2:00 PM
All the bullets I've used say they are .224 right now the ones that slip through into the case are 52 gr. Vmax hornady. Are these not the right ones? they say .224

Those are correct unless out of spec.

Best option is to just call dillon, they will replace the oversized expander ball.

Bumslie
07-03-2013, 2:53 PM
Those are correct unless out of spec.

Best option is to just call dillon, they will replace the oversized expander ball.

I'm telling ya, they are doing it on purpose.

jj805
07-03-2013, 4:40 PM
I'm telling ya, they are doing it on purpose.

I don't think they will catch on.