PDA

View Full Version : What markings are legal to remove/relocate on AR-15?

virulosity
07-02-2013, 6:31 PM
Let's say I have an off list lower, that has IMO ugly markings that I wish to either relocate or remove completely, and replace with engraving. My understanding is that federal law prohibits removing the original serial number, but everything else is fair game. Are there any state laws against removing the manufacturers name, location, caliber, and model number? I know this is true for pistols, wasn't sure about long guns. If they can't be removed, can they be re-machined in a different font and location?

Thank you!

Stewdabaker23
07-02-2013, 7:48 PM
I believe as long as serial number is there you should be good. May be wrong.

SanPedroShooter
07-02-2013, 8:05 PM
How would you do it? I always wondered. Could you fill them in with bondo or something and refinish?

Given the penchant for some pencil dick lawyer to scribble garbage all over firearms slides and barrels these days, I have wondered about covering some of it up.

MrPlink
07-02-2013, 8:06 PM
Serial, name and location of manufacturer unless a 07FFL iirc

xibunkrlilkidsx
07-02-2013, 8:06 PM
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/importation-verification/firearms-verification-overview.html

ATf requirments

virulosity
07-03-2013, 5:50 PM
How would you do it? I always wondered. Could you fill them in with bondo or something and refinish?

Given the penchant for some pencil dick lawyer to scribble garbage all over firearms slides and barrels these days, I have wondered about covering some of it up.

On a lower, you simply plunge an endmill .005" deep and make a window of what ever shape you want. Then you can engrave over, or just cut a window completely. I kinda want to machine down a lot of places that seem overly beefy. This is a billet AR 308 lower I am talking about. Lot's of weight can be removed.

virulosity
07-03-2013, 5:54 PM
So it seems like serial is all that matters, federally. Still can't find any state info.

Quiet
07-03-2013, 6:28 PM
So it seems like serial is all that matters, federally. Still can't find any state info.

CA laws....

Penal Code 23900
Any person who changes, alters, removes, or obliterates the name of the maker, model, manufacturer's number, or other mark of identification, including any distinguishing number or mark assigned by the Department of Justice, on any pistol, revolver, or any other firearm, without first having secured written permission from the department to make that change, alteration, or removal shall be punished by imprisonment pursuant to subdivision (h) of Section 1170.

Penal Code 23915
(a) Any person may place or stamp on any pistol, revolver, or other firearm any number or identifying indicium, provided the number or identifying indicium does not change, alter, remove, or obliterate the manufacturer's name, number, model, or other mark of identification.

virulosity
07-03-2013, 9:45 PM
okay, it was the pistol, revolver, other firearm part that got me hung up. Basically they mean any gun, not just a handgun. Got it now! Thanks!

radgokart
07-15-2013, 3:07 PM
Does anyone know of a place in CA that will do this? I found a few places out of state, but am interested in getting it done locally. I'm planning on putting something together for my father out of a spare lower I have, and want something more sentimental than the maker's logo.