PDA

View Full Version : How much is fair for a service grade H&R M1 garand?

AK all day
07-01-2013, 9:46 PM
I have a deal lined up for a rifle, and I'm excited but I really would like to know what is a fair price on the private market for a rifle as the title describes. Thanks!!!

brianm767
07-01-2013, 10:09 PM
Well it depends on what you are willing to pay, for some, since you can buy a CMP SG for $645 delivered, a fair price would be that and not a Penney more.

For some who don't want to go through the CMP requirements or the wait, they are willing to pay more, I've seen people pay up to a grand for a nice SG rifle.

You can look at Gunbroaker to see what they are going for, I think the norm is $100 up to $200 above CMP prices.

If you do not have a C&R license, you could order a SA right now through Dupage, it's $675 plus shipping so lets say $695, then your FFL transfer, let's say $75 plus state tax $54, your at $824.

Often you'll find them here in the classifieds for $750-$800

AK all day
07-01-2013, 10:15 PM
Thank you. I have vouched to buy a really nice service grade H&R with (1) muzzle and (2) throat with original stock for $950. I really am one of those people who want to avoid CMP... Is $950 insane? or is it relitivly normal for a nice M1 from CMP never fired?

TRICKSTER
07-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Thank you. I have vouched to buy a really nice service grade H&R with (1) muzzle and (2) throat with original stock for $950. I really am one of those people who want to avoid CMP... Is $950 insane? or is it relitivly normal for a nice M1 from CMP never fired?

Never fired? A true never fired is not a service grade and will be a few thousand dollars.

lorax3
07-01-2013, 10:19 PM
That is less than I have seen them go for. Since the CMP wait is quickly closing in on 6 months, I have seen H&R Service Grade Garands go in the marketplace for $1,000 to $1,200+. The price will only increase if and when they run out of H&Rs.......

That being said, I am glad I paid $675 or close to that for mine :D

AK all day
07-01-2013, 10:20 PM
Never fired? A true never fired is not a service grade and will be a few thousand dollars.

unfired by him from CMP... I mean hahaha

still in cosmo..

AK all day
07-01-2013, 10:21 PM
That is less than I have seen them go for. Since the CMP wait is quickly closing in on 6 months, I have seen H&R Service Grade Garands go in the marketplace for $1,000 to $1,200+. The price will only increase if and when they run out of H&Rs.......

That being said, I am glad I paid $675 or close to that for mine :D

That is what I have been seeing...... I feel pretty good about the deal... sorta.. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't like WAYYYYYYY insane to pay $950...

brianm767
07-01-2013, 10:33 PM

Well to me it is, but its worth what ever your willing to pay, I've paid insane prices for stuff I really wanted and others thought I was nuts, but I didn't care, I had what I wanted, I didn't mind paying the price and I don't care what other people think.

I recently bought 4 Garands through Dupage, I requested all to be WWII SN's and one pre war, and that's exactly what I got, only negative for me is they are all in new black walnut stocks, they are absolutely beautiful stocks, but I'd prefer GI, I'm going to pick the best two and sell off or trade the others, I have a C&R so they cost me about $700 each, not as good as CMP but I ordered on a Friday and received the next Friday, and i got a six digit pre war rifle, I could probably sell each one locally on backpage for $850-$900. The Dupage rifles are gauging 2 ME and 3 TE.

Is the rifle local so you can inspect it, and see it gauged, is it a CMP with docs? I don't think there are any unfired Garands, it may be a low round count, but I doubt it's unfired, you say original stock, have you looked at the cartouches to make sure it's correct for a HRA in that year? Many have SA stocks on them.

If it was me I'd shop around, also remember, a Cali resident can mail a C&R Garand directly to you with no FFL involved if you are also a Cali resident.

lorax3
07-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Well to me it is, but its worth what ever your willing to pay, I've paid insane prices for stuff I really wanted and others thought I was nuts, but I didn't care, I had what I wanted, I didn't mind paying the price and I don't care what other people think.

:iagree:

If you are willing to pay it, it's a fair price. Even at $950, it's at current market prices. If you want it, take it.

Like the poster above, I have paid over market for stuff I want *now*. In your case, it's still a decent price. Just be aware you can get it for less if you are willing to wait 6 months. If you don't want to deal with it, take it.

Paltik
07-01-2013, 10:43 PM
CMP sets the low price (currently $625 for HRA's, but other manufacturers went for more, plus your costs for notarization, affiliated club membership, proof of marksmanship or other firearms related activity, and shipping and handling--say $75 or more), the going rate for shooters seems to be $800-1200, and special features or collectible parts can mean the sky's the limit. Even CMP's base price for a SG HRA in excellent condition with new furniture is $950.

Lone_Gunman
07-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Right now? $650 and a long wait. In November? I'll get back to you, but it won't be cheap, cause as long as you live in CA you will never get another chance at a paperless C&R. Not after 1/1/14, that is.

AK all day
07-01-2013, 11:21 PM
Well.... i think i will get it...

What is the cheapest you can get a kind of sort that was possibly used in WWII? Or made in the 40s?

David55Indiana
07-02-2013, 2:02 AM
As others above have mentioned I would just go the Dupage Trading way. I recently bought four M1 Garands from Jim at Dupage. I requested an early WWII SA and got a six digit rifle. The other three consist of two HRA's from '53 and a '52 SA. They are beautiful rifles.

All came in Boyd's walnut stocks that I will have to do a BLO treatment on but I'm happy with them at $675 each. My local FFL is a super guy and did not charge me any transfer fees. But this was in Indiana so we may not have any cost that other States may have.

mj1
07-02-2013, 7:41 AM
Everything was cheaper yesterday. The price will go up 1/3 in January from new tax/fees and having to C&R through brick and mortar FFLs.

Jarhead
07-02-2013, 7:24 PM
Buy CMP or pay 1K for the same exact rifle .............probably with CMP Papers

Eljay
07-03-2013, 7:04 AM
You might factor in ammo as well. The only really good source for cheap surplus .30-06 is the CMP... at the very least make sure you have a source and know what it's costing you for that as well.

andy75
07-03-2013, 7:49 AM
I paid 800 for a beat up, barrel shoot out garand.
but to me it was worth it at the time, so at 950 it is a good deal for a Sg.
Right now I have a SG on order with the CMP.

AK all day
07-03-2013, 7:56 AM
Well, the deal fell through for the H&R, but I think now I am going to go with the dupage rifles and try to get a 6 digit serial number.

Anybody have anything bad to say about the dupage rifles?

emcon5
07-03-2013, 8:14 AM
The photos of the Dupage rifles look nice, but I am still really curious where they came from.

Eljay
07-03-2013, 8:30 AM
The photos of the Dupage rifles look nice, but I am still really curious where they came from.

If they don't have import marks they probably traded with the CMP for something - probably stocks.

David55Indiana
07-03-2013, 9:41 AM
Well, the deal fell through for the H&R, but I think now I am going to go with the dupage rifles and try to get a 6 digit serial number.

Anybody have anything bad to say about the dupage rifles?

I have four Dupage Garands now. I requested and received a six digit SA last time. Number is 885XXX.

One of the Garands is a 5.6 mil HRA and has the original barrel.

They are in nice shape with a new Boyds stock.

I'm pleased but I'm still going to go after a CMP FG SA or HRA soon. I think everyone needs to have a USGI stock M1.

ThemBastards
07-03-2013, 3:44 PM
Yeah I have been seeing 1-2k. Even Field grades for up to 1k.

AK all day
07-03-2013, 3:49 PM
I ordered a rifle from dupage, and requested a 6 digit number, hopefully it comes soon and is nice!

aghauler
07-03-2013, 7:07 PM
Cabela's sells Garands in the $1200-$1400 for rebuilds, nothing special and people keep buying them at those prices.

AK all day
07-03-2013, 8:07 PM
Yeah, total WITH SHIPPING AND FEES, it will be about $775. No 10 day wait because I'm adding it to an existing mosin that I have already started DROS on