PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed - Primer Seating Problem

Enfield47
06-30-2013, 1:35 PM
I am seating CCI #41 primers into swaged 5.56 LC cases using my Lee Turret Press, but only one out six has actually seated properly. It is taking a lot of force to get them to seat and the primer isn't going in all of the way. It requires a second run through the press to get them to seat flush but they look flattened and two are slightly canted. The second run also seems to cause the rim of the case to get caught in the shell holder and I have to use some force to get them out. I am concerned that this will damage the rim of the case because I can feel the rough spots where it was caught in the shell holder.

I found three small brass, ring shaped slivers in the primer seater. Is this from the crimp that was supposed to have been removed by the RCBS swager?

I have seated Winchester LRP into .303 cases on my press and those went in easily - not nearly the amount of force I am having to use on the CCI SRP. Is this normal?

waawaaweenie
06-30-2013, 1:38 PM
it sounds like they weren't swaged good enough

you may try another brand of primers or try those into a non crimped case

I gave up on the Lee primer feed attachment and use a hand primer, either the Lee or RCBS universal

the Lee primer arm seems to give me lots of trouble

Grnjeep1
06-30-2013, 1:42 PM
Sounds like the crimp wasn't swaged enough. The primer pockets may need to be deepened a bit with uniformer also if the CCI #41's aren't seating deep enough. I have to deepen the pockets a hair with Winchester brass when using CCI primers.

Enfield47
06-30-2013, 1:44 PM
If the primer pockets weren't swaged enough, wh can I do to remove the crimp? Would a drill bit work?

chknlyps2
06-30-2013, 1:45 PM
Do you have a chamfer tool? I would try to chamfer a couple primer pockets and see if they seat then.... some people use a phillips screwdriver to get a crimped primer pocket chamfered.

Enfield47
06-30-2013, 2:03 PM
Yes, I have the Lee chamfer tool. I also have a cordless drill I can use for the Phillips head. Do you know what size to use? I have sizes 1, 2, and 3.

Divernhunter
06-30-2013, 2:08 PM
Adjust your sawger correctly first and you should be good to go. Better yet get a Dillon super swager. I have both and only use the Dillon. I also have cutters but do not use them either.

chknlyps2
06-30-2013, 2:08 PM
Yes, I have the Lee chamfer tool. I also have a cordless drill I can use for the Phillips head. Do you know what size to use? I have sizes 1, 2, and 3.

Try a #2, it does not take much to get the crimp out.

Grnjeep1
06-30-2013, 2:19 PM
Yeah, go easy on the crimp. A sharp chamfer tool will do it in a few twists, but it's kinda hard on the wrist if your doing alot of them.

Enfield47
06-30-2013, 2:28 PM
I have about 180 to do so I'll try the #2 phillips head. I do have the RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Tool-2 coming in a shipment next week. Should I just wait until it arrives and re-swage the primer pockets?

Here is what I ordered.
https://shop.rcbs.com/WebConnect/images/rcbs/cat/FullA/9481.jpg

Grnjeep1
06-30-2013, 3:21 PM
I have never really cared for swaging, but a lot of people do. a sharp chamfer/deburring tool, or phillips screwdriver, is all you really need. If you process different manufactures brass, it can be a pain to set up a swager to run consistently through different headstamps.

Enfield47
06-30-2013, 3:55 PM
Sorry for the noob question here, but isn't there an industry standard that all primer pockets the same size (small or large size of course)?

waawaaweenie
06-30-2013, 4:02 PM
the primer pocket is the correct size,it is just the very edge of it that has been crimped. you need to remove that slight lip to get the new primer past it to get it to seat

gemoose23
06-30-2013, 4:41 PM
counter sink bit.... chuck in drill $4.00 crimp primer solution..quickly touch tip on to the brass primer pocket, call it done.

Grnjeep1
06-30-2013, 7:55 PM
Sorry for the noob question here, but isn't there an industry standard that all primer pockets the same size (small or large size of course)?

For some reason CCI #41's are a bit different, and it's a well known fact that Winchester brass quite often needs to be uniformed to seat the #41's fully. As far as LC, it's not usually a problem but the pocket may need to be squared off at the bottom to fully seat them if they are flattening when you are trying to seat them slightly below flush, where they should be. Try making sure the crimp is fully removed first, it may solve all of your problems.

Enfield47
06-30-2013, 8:12 PM
I'll try to reswage them to see if I can get rid of the the remaining crimp. Once the crimp is removed, will I still see the crimp indentation? It seems so small and yet that it is causing me this much trouble. I guess it's all part of the learning experience (frustrating as it may be).

If the primers are flattened, are they still safe to shoot?

BigBronco
07-01-2013, 6:21 AM
Yes the they are safe to shoot. As for the primer seating issue the alignment of the primer seating may be just a bit off. Yesterday at the the work shop one student was having a heck of a time with the hand priming tool. He would hand it to me and it worked smoothly. Hand it right back to him and trouble again. Went back and forth several times with his issues to smooth entry when I had it. Very frustrating for the student.

I highly suggest using the hand priming tool. I so hate priming on a non progressive press. Yes even on a Rockchucker.

Enfield, I am not available much of this week but I would love to help figure out your issues. If you still have my number give me a call and lets get together and figure this snag out.

BB

mark501w
07-01-2013, 9:08 AM
I ream the the pockets with a Lyman tool , cut depth uniform flash holes. Hand priming helps you check to see if you have any problems with individual cases. You only have to do this process once. You can't leave any primers sticking above the case & risk a slam fire with a auto loader or inconsistent firing of your primer.

wxl
07-01-2013, 9:37 AM
If the primer pockets weren't swaged enough, wh can I do to remove the crimp? Would a drill bit work?
When I run across a crimped primer pocket I hit it with a portable drill that has a drill bit that is larger than the pocket and shave a little off. I only reload 223 so i don't run across too many crimped primers. Also, Winchester primers run a little smaller than CCI and are easier to seat, but I've read some people have problems with them falling out because they don't fit as tight. I've neve had this problem.

yellowstealth
07-01-2013, 2:25 PM
I have the same setup as you, RCBS swager and lee press. I quit using the on press primer in favor of a hand priming tool for the same reason you describe.

Initially I thought I must not have had the swager set correctly, realized that wasn't the case when I tried to prime a non crimped case on the press and had the same issue. No problems using the lee hand priming tool.

Enfield47
07-01-2013, 8:03 PM
Thanks for all the help and advice. I will try all of the tips here for getting rid of the crimp and using a hand priming system to see if I have some better luck with it than with the safety prime system on the press.