PDA

View Full Version : Chilean Mauser.

pitfighter
06-25-2013, 4:17 PM
I am seeing a lot of these in the $300 range.
All matching, with the exception of the bolt itself.
Often the rifle will come with SS# matching cleaning rod, too.

They are in the awkward 7X57 caliber but otherwise seem extraordinarily clean and well made rifles, usually Austrian or German made and for the most part not messed with - and not too shot out - see harder to find caliber above, I guess.

A couple i have encountered look totally original almost pristine condition, hot blue coloring still visible on bolt removal lever.

They would appear to be good value for money compared with many other items out there.

What is the catch?

Crunch130
06-25-2013, 5:21 PM
I don't personally have one, but 7X57 is a SWEET cartridge. Handload for it, like I do for my 6.5X55 Swede. With a very good bore, the accuracy will impress you.

Crunch

Milsurp Collector
06-25-2013, 5:24 PM
No catch and nothing awkward about the 7x57 mm round. It was popular in Latin America and it is a good sporting and hunting round.

The 7×57mm has been deservedly described as "a ballistician's delight". Many sporting rifles in this calibre were made by British riflemakers, among whom John Rigby was prominent; and, catering for the British preference for calibres to be designated in inches, Rigby called this chambering the .275 Rigby, after the measurement of a 7 mm rifle's bore across the lands.

The ballistics of the 7×57mm became popular with deer and plains game hunters. The relatively flat trajectory and manageable recoil ensured its place as a sportsman's cartridge. The 7×57mm can offer very good penetrating ability due to a fast twist rate that enables it to fire long, heavy bullets with a high sectional density. This made it popular in Africa, where it was used on animals up to and including elephants, for which it was particularly favoured by noted ivory hunter W. D. M. Bell, who shot 1,011 elephants using a 7×57mm rifle, when most ivory hunters were using larger-caliber rifles. Bell selected the cartridge for moderate recoil, and used 11-gram military full metal jacket bullets for reliable penetration. Bell sectioned an elephant skull to determine the size and location of the brain, and used careful aim to ensure bullet placement in the brain.

The 7×57 was also the favored cartridge of Eleanor O'Connor, wife of famous hunter and author Jack O'Connor. Eleanor accompanied her husband on multiple hunting expeditions all over the world, killing small and large game with the 7×57mm. Though not as popular today, the 7×57mm is still produced by most major ammunition manufacturers and many modern rifles are available chambered for the cartridge.

The 7x57mm round was also used by the Indian hunter and conservationist Jim Corbett to put down the infamous man-eating Leopard of Rudraprayag besides some of the other Man-Eaters of Kumaon. His writings mention using the .275 Mauser-Rigby rifle to despatch the leopard while employing it as a secondary weapon for other man-eaters, especially tigers (an Express 450/400 double-barrelled rifle being the primary).

The $300 price is because it is non-matching. Matching examples are a little more expensive.

This is one of two all-matching ones that I have. SVT-40 has one that is even nicer.

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt337/milsurp_collector/1895%20Chilean%20Mauser/30c0158b.jpg

pitfighter
06-25-2013, 5:31 PM
That is a nice one - I am tempted.

Just picked up my first 7.62X54, so hoarding ammo for that.

Thanks for the info. very helpful, insightful.

Emdawg
06-25-2013, 5:56 PM
7mm an awkward caliber? Where have you been since the 1890's?

That caliber has influenced the developement of military and sporting rounds for over one hundred years.

It's the reason why we went to the 1903 Springfield and the 30-06.

Hell, Rigby took a hot 7mm catridge and shot elephant with it for years.

I have an 1895 Chilean Mauser (Loewe) Long Rifle and it is a sweet shooter. Add the bayonet and it is a fancy spear!

pitfighter
06-25-2013, 7:54 PM
Ha ha, Emdawg - awkward to find in stores... - I should have finished the sentence.
Although I know a place that has a few bags of Argentine 7X57 for sale.

It was not a critique of the ballistics of the caliber, I haven't shot it so I can't comment in anyway.

Thank you for the history lesson, I love it. As I implied and wrote, I do not know much about this variant of Mauser or it's caliber - my books all cover the K98 and it's variants.

Good shooting to all.

I am heavily armed and I am...

Milsurp Collector
06-25-2013, 8:08 PM
As I implied and wrote, I do not know much about this variant of Mauser or it's caliber - my books all cover the K98 and it's variants.

I recommend these two books.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61oePSQ%2BuML.jpg
http://s.s-bol.com/imgbase0/imagebase/large/FC/1/1/7/9/1001004010619711.jpg

Mustang
06-25-2013, 8:09 PM
Hell, Rigby took a hot 7mm catridge and shot elephant with it for years.

Karamojo Bell?

Mustang
06-25-2013, 8:13 PM
Many people believe the 1895 Chilean Mauser, not the 1896 Swedish is the finest small ring Mauser. I think it is too close to call myself. But both rifles and both cartridges are fine indeed.

I've got several each of the Chilean small and large ring Mausers, as well as several Brazilian large ring Mausers and the 7x57 is a great cartridge.

smle-man
06-25-2013, 8:29 PM
I especially like the 1895s marked OVS or Orange Free State for the Boer republic. Many of these can be found in nice condition, contracted rifles that didn't make it to South Africa in time for the conflict.

Emdawg
06-25-2013, 8:40 PM
Ha ha, Emdawg - awkward to find in stores... - I should have finished the sentence.
Although I know a place that has a few bags of Argentine 7X57 for sale.

It was not a critique of the ballistics of the caliber, I haven't shot it so I can't comment in anyway.

Thank you for the history lesson, I love it. As I implied and wrote, I do not know much about this variant of Mauser or it's caliber - my books all cover the K98 and it's variants.

Good shooting to all.

I am heavily armed and I am...

Where do you live? I can find 7x57mm at my Big 5... and in the ones in the neighboring cities.

It is a nice compact cartridge, easy on the shoulder, can reach out and touch something and drop it. As Teddy's Rough Riders found out.

Hell, it was the caliber that the first year of the Remington 700 Classics were produced in.

Oh and check that Argentine stuff. Probably in 7.65 Argentine. That is much more like .308 Winchester.

Karamojo Bell?

Speaking of that, have you ever read Death in the Long Grass. :cool2:

Many people believe the 1895 Chilean Mauser, not the 1896 Swedish is the finest small ring Mauser. I think it is too close to call myself. But both rifles and both cartridges are fine indeed.

I've got several each of the Chilean small and large ring Mausers, as well as several Brazilian large ring Mausers and the 7x57 is a great cartridge.

Swedish are better made. Chilean is in a better caliber. My two cents.

I especially like the 1895s marked OVS or Orange Free State for the Boer republic. Many of these can be found in nice condition, contracted rifles that didn't make it to South Africa in time for the conflict.

I have seen and held two. One was sportered and the other looked like it got in a fight with a lawn mower and lost. :64:

pitfighter
06-25-2013, 8:46 PM
Thank you Milsurp collector,

Those two books look very useful.

I'm trying to keep my "modern; pre-1945" collection to one country (Germany), and failing dismally.

So probably should invest in those books.

Emdawg - you've made your point, you are a fan of the wonderful shooting, historically significant and easy to find cartridge - I look forward to trying it out - thank you for all the info.

I am still...

Emdawg
06-25-2013, 8:48 PM
If you can make it to the Santa Barbara Historical Arms and Blades Show, I am sure you can find something that is German and pre-1945.

One of my buddies had a couple of Banner (Commercial) Mausers.

pitfighter
06-25-2013, 9:01 PM
Yes - those shows can be hazardous to the girth of your wallet.

Struggling with it, but still...

Mustang
06-25-2013, 9:19 PM
Oh and check that Argentine stuff. Probably in 7.65 Argentine. That is much more like .308 Winchester.

Here, here. A great cartridge. I started using it in a scoped '09 Argy and I think it has great potential.

Speaking of that, have you ever read Death in the Long Grass. :cool2:

Sorry to say that I haven't

Swedish are better made. Chilean is in a better caliber. My two cents.

Some would argue the opposite. I have examples of both and it is rare to find much better build quality than a Ludwig Loewe built Mauser. Swede's are very nicely built also, however.

Gryff
06-25-2013, 9:48 PM
I have a '95 Chilean that I bought at Big5 25 years ago. Worn, but all matching parts. Not familiar with Mauser variants but mine appears to be some form of carbine and (oddly) has a turned-down bolt handle.

Mustang
06-25-2013, 9:53 PM
That is not odd at all. There was both a short rifle and a carbine version of the 1895 Chilean Mauser.

Does yours have "ears" protecting the front sight?

Emdawg
06-25-2013, 10:46 PM
I have a '95 Chilean that I bought at Big5 25 years ago. Worn, but all matching parts. Not familiar with Mauser variants but mine appears to be some form of carbine and (oddly) has a turned-down bolt handle.

Like Mustang said they made them in three forms.

Is your still in 7mm or in 7.62?

Gryff
06-26-2013, 8:53 AM
That is not odd at all. There was both a short rifle and a carbine version of the 1895 Chilean Mauser.

Does yours have "ears" protecting the front sight?

Yes, I believe so. What I meant is that it is odd to have the turned-down bolt handle. Every picture I've seen of the '95 Chileans has a straight bolt handle.

Like Mustang said they made them in three forms.

Is your still in 7mm or in 7.62?

7mm Mauser

Emdawg
06-26-2013, 9:23 AM
Yes, I believe so. What I meant is that it is odd to have the turned-down bolt handle. Every picture I've seen of the '95 Chileans has a straight bolt handle.

7mm Mauser

Short rifles and carbines will have the turned down bolts. Full length infantry rifles will have the normal straight bolt.

Mustang
06-26-2013, 9:24 AM

Most of the South American Mauser short rifles and carbines have turned down bolts. It was the standard configuration for them.

SVT-40
06-26-2013, 9:37 AM

Between the 1895 Chilean and the 1896 Swede (1894 action) I would have to give the "edge" to the 1894/96 Swede as it had the bolt guide rib which allowed a smoother and more reliable action of the bolt.....

Both beautiful and well made rifles.

Both cartridges are excellent though. My preference is with the 6.5 Swede....Although I really enjoy shooting my 7mm rolling block rifle!!!

Mrbroom
09-06-2013, 7:12 AM
Just picked up a Chilean 1895, chambered in 22-250. It has the bent down bolt. Thing is in very poor shape as it has been sitting in a closet for the last 40 years. When I first went to check it out, the lady (mother of a good friend of mine) told me she thinks it might be loaded. Her late husband kept all their guns loaded all the time. Well it was. The round in the chamber took a few raps with the cleaning rod to push it out with all the corrosion.

Now my question, it seems the 22-250 was not a common caliber as most seemed to be 7mm. Is it possible to make it 7mm?

Emdawg
09-06-2013, 8:20 AM
Just picked up a Chilean 1895, chambered in 22-250. It has the bent down bolt. Thing is in very poor shape as it has been sitting in a closet for the last 40 years. When I first went to check it out, the lady (mother of a good friend of mine) told me she thinks it might be loaded. Her late husband kept all their guns loaded all the time. Well it was. The round in the chamber took a few raps with the cleaning rod to push it out with all the corrosion.

Now my question, it seems the 22-250 was not a common caliber as most seemed to be 7mm. Is it possible to make it 7mm?

First time I have heard of one being converted to that caliber.

Not sure about a re-conversion. I am sure there are spare barrels floating around. I have seen one or two on Gunbroker.

6mmintl
09-06-2013, 8:46 AM
My first surplus rifle in 1967! was brand new old stock for $28.00

knucklehead0202
09-06-2013, 12:46 PM
7 mauser pretty much set the standard for smokeless rifle cartridges and most every military cartridge in one way or another, was based on it since about 1892 or so. there's a reason you can make various mauser brass out of 30-06, because 30-06 was based on IT, not the other way around. 7mm was and still is one of the best designed and best-performing cartridges in the world. 6.5x55 is also a great round and I would never be able to compare them because I love both dearly.

SVT-40
09-06-2013, 2:20 PM
They are beautiful rifles!!!!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/South%20American%20Mausers/DSC01251-01.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/SVT-40/media/South%20American%20Mausers/DSC01251-01.jpg.html)

Bobby Ricigliano
09-06-2013, 2:27 PM
They are beautiful rifles!!!!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/South%20American%20Mausers/DSC01251-01.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/SVT-40/media/South%20American%20Mausers/DSC01251-01.jpg.html)

Some day we are going to find a c&r gun that SVT does NOT have a mint condition specimen of!!!!!!

knucklehead0202
09-06-2013, 6:35 PM
I know right? I have one of those but it isn't nearly as pretty. got it as a numbers-matching cut-stock sporter. managed to get it in another stock, as well as got a stock forend to repair the matching-number original, it'll still never be as nice as THAT though. only thing I might have nicer than somebody else is my SKS or my MAS36/51, that looks brand-new. I don't have nice things, which kinda works out ok, don't have to worry about bangin' stuff around as much. i'm a careful but kinda clumsy person.

Enfield47
09-06-2013, 8:23 PM
Some day we are going to find a c&r gun that SVT does NOT have a mint condition specimen of!!!!!!

I don't know if that is possible.:p

v/dBrink
09-07-2013, 2:57 PM

The OVS and Zuid Afrikan rifles are 1893 models.

And they made it in time but were turned back by British blockades. Returned to Germany and rollmarked with the Chilean crest and sent off to Chile.

v/dBrink
09-07-2013, 3:07 PM
Between the 1895 Chilean and the 1896 Swede (1894 action) I would have to give the "edge" to the 1894/96 Swede as it had the bolt guide rib which allowed a smoother and more reliable action of the bolt.....

The 1893 (and 1895 Chilean) model Mauser has the bolt guide rib in the left-side wall of the receiver. In practice and in rapid fire the 1893 bolt guide design is superior to the m/1894 Swedish expedient design. The Swedish design eliminated the 1893 bolt guide rib. It was cheaper and easier to produce using a simple guide rib on top of the bolt body. It was not "better" than the 1893 design.

What makes it superior? With a straight handled bolt the impetus of thrust is straight down and forward in the loading & chambering operation. The Swedish guide rib is on top of the bolt and does nothing during this loading operation while the 1893 design does an excellent job of increasing smoothness during rapid loading/firing.

You have to actually do it (rapid fire) with both rifles and you'll feel the difference...

v/dBrink
09-07-2013, 3:20 PM

The problem with comparisons is those doing the comparisons are not looking at rifles from both mfgs in equal condition. You would be beyond fortunate to find a Swede in un-rebuilt condition as-manufactured that was unused, unissued, unfired. Generally they don't exist, especially in the American collecting community.

However, thousands of 1891 Argentine, 1893 OVS, 1895 Chileans, 1908 Brazilians and 1909 Argentines were imported into the US in "new" condition pre-1968. They were still in the 10-rifle wooden crates as they were when they left Germany. I owned 1893 OVS 8776 in 1968. Stone mint rifle.

Ludwig Loewe, IMO, had the highest quality control of anybody anywhere building any kind of military rifle. I've seen erroneous claims that the Czech Persian 98/29 are as fine as any of the German rifles. Not true. While the Czech rifles are "as good as" when it comes to metallurgy, strength, quality, they do not meet the same standard when it comes to fit and finish of the German or FN Mausers.

SVT-40
09-07-2013, 11:01 PM
The problem with comparisons is those doing the comparisons are not looking at rifles from both mfgs in equal condition. You would be beyond fortunate to find a Swede in un-rebuilt condition as-manufactured that was unused, unissued, unfired. Generally they don't exist, especially in the American collecting community.

Swedish Mauser rifles in new un-rebuilt condition are uncommon, however there are a few examples here in the US. There are no "un-fired" examples of military Mauser rifles anywhere, as ALL Mauser rifles were test fired before leaving the factory......

A few pics of a un-rebuilt, as new M/96. A very late production rifle with a 1948 dated receiver.... Normal production ended in 1925
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/Swedish/SW0090-03a.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/SVT-40/media/Swedish/SW0090-03a.jpg.html)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/Swedish/DSC05412.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/SVT-40/media/Swedish/DSC05412.jpg.html)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/Swedish/SW0090-04a.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/SVT-40/media/Swedish/SW0090-04a.jpg.html)

And a un-rebuilt, as new M/38. Also a late production rifle....
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/Swedish/HUSK3844012.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/SVT-40/media/Swedish/HUSK3844012.jpg.html)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/Swedish/DSC05171.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/SVT-40/media/Swedish/DSC05171.jpg.html)

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/Swedish/DSC05161-002.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/SVT-40/media/Swedish/DSC05161-002.jpg.html)

Bobby Ricigliano
09-07-2013, 11:15 PM
And he continues to prove my theory!

Emdawg
09-08-2013, 12:03 AM
Dang SVT! I picked up a M38 made in the same year and shape, but I sold it. :(

Capybara
09-08-2013, 7:22 AM
Wow SVT. Truly a beautiful rifle, makes me want one very badly