PDA

View Full Version : .308 bolt action scooe

atdski07
06-16-2013, 6:32 PM
Any suggestions on a decent scope for a .308 bolt action.the details are, browning a-bolt no rails or iron sights. It gas the screw for the either 2 or1 piece weaver rail.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weaver-Top-Mount-Scope-Base-Pair-for-Browning-A-Bolt-Silver-48463-/181092437972
Im looking fir a decent scope for it. This is my sister's rifle and she lives in Montana so I was thinking of surprizing her with a unexpected shipment, not looking for top of the line, just something that will hold its zero good and withstand the recoil of the .308.

sent from my tin foil tent via d.o.s. using a sppke computer with a floppy drive

atdski07
06-16-2013, 6:35 PM
Sorry for all the typos still learning to type on this digital keyboard :D

sent from my tin foil tent via d.o.s. using a apple computer with a floppy drive

Cummins_Powered
06-16-2013, 6:42 PM
What does she do with said rifle? Hunting? Target shooting?

Fjold
06-16-2013, 8:25 PM
What does she do with said rifle? Hunting? Target shooting?

And what type of hunting? Size of animals , in the timbers or open range? How far does she shoot and what load?

atdski07
06-18-2013, 5:24 PM
She doesn't do much hunting yet, shes probably gonna do more distance shots than anything else. Im just looking for something basic to get her started then later she can get sonething better if she wants. As of right now there are no sights on it what so ever so her aiming is limited to pointing in a general direction. I was thinking of something along the lines of a nikon m 308, but I dont really wanna spent over 600 on a scope and all the mounting hardware. The m 308 should give you a general idea of what im looking for, a 4-16 power scope. As for what loads shes shooting, the only bullets she has for it right now are some milsurps I sent to her. This is her first 308, the only hunting shes done do far is picking off prairie dogs from her back porch.

sent from my tin foil tent via d.o.s. using a apple computer with a floppy drive

jasonnorcal
06-18-2013, 5:32 PM
I would stick with a scope in the 3-9 category for big game. Have you looked at Leupold vx-2?

ar15barrels
06-18-2013, 11:23 PM
My recommendation would be a Nikon buckmaster 4-14 mounted in a dednutz one piece mount.
Will run around $300 for the scope and $75 for the mount.

dfletcher
06-19-2013, 1:11 PM
She doesn't do much hunting yet, shes probably gonna do more distance shots than anything else. Im just looking for something basic to get her started then later she can get sonething better if she wants. As of right now there are no sights on it what so ever so her aiming is limited to pointing in a general direction. I was thinking of something along the lines of a nikon m 308, but I dont really wanna spent over 600 on a scope and all the mounting hardware. The m 308 should give you a general idea of what im looking for, a 4-16 power scope. As for what loads shes shooting, the only bullets she has for it right now are some milsurps I sent to her. This is her first 308, the only hunting shes done do far is picking off prairie dogs from her back porch.

The Burris Fullfield 5 to 15X with 42mm AO is a pretty good buy. Sportsmans Warehouse had them on sale for $199.00, even @ regular price of $299.00 they're a good buy and versatile. Not too big and bulky, nice glass all around.

Redfield & Nikon make similar scopes in the 2 to 12X range, Leupold costs a bit more in general. Nikon Buckmaster is a great choice.

I'd be certain to get an AO model so she can adjust for clear viewing at any range.