PDA

View Full Version : best folding sights for AR?

Norsemen308
06-14-2013, 3:51 PM
Normally I run MBUIS's, however the last build was short on cash so I bought some cheap gunshow no name folder's, and I am not pleased (be kind), very hard to pick up targets with them. I have run the troy's and Mbuis's, just wondering if anyone has any other good sights to recommend?

sffred
06-14-2013, 4:00 PM
Best irons are made by troy, and the best polymer are made by magpul.
I even tried troy HK sights and I still prefer the original troy sights.

I dunno about those magpul mbuis coming out soon. So more than likely there should be a review up soon.

Heiko
06-14-2013, 4:07 PM
Troy. Kind of pricey but very nice. They look good, work well, and are well made. I found them at Primary Arms for $90 each for front and back.

Those new Magpul metal MBUS Pro look funky and unfortutely are not what I would consider inexpensive at about $105 for the rear and $85 for the front. I'd buy Troy for that price.

negolien
06-14-2013, 4:08 PM
Yeah it depends how much you really want to spend on something you're probably not going to use much. Maybe in a war zone they might be super important. I'd rather spend the money on optics and just use my MBUS. I wouldn't spend over $200 on a set of BU sights myself but if you have money to burn..http://troyind.com/back-up-iron-sights/folding/micro-sets

CessnaDriver
06-14-2013, 4:11 PM
Google drop tests for MBUS, the results are surprising, seem to hold up better then metal.

http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html

"The first BUIS dropped was the Diamondhead. At first, damage appeared cosmetic only; however, the apertures could no longer be rotated, windage could not be adjusted, and there was a definite cant to the BUIS. Point of impact shifted approximately 16 MOA. We contacted Diamondhead with this result. They replied that a newer version was available which was more durable. We offered to test the new model but production issues meant they could not ship one to us.

Next came the Troy sight. Cosmetic damage was apparent, but the sight could still be operated normally. Point of impact shift was approximately 3 MOA.

The last set of BUIS was the Magpul MBUS. Damage was purely cosmetic and the sight remained fully functional. Point of impact shift was less than 1 MOA. Unlike the other sighting devices, a second drop was performed. Results did not change, and the sight remained functional."

SB1964
06-14-2013, 4:13 PM
Troy

G60
06-14-2013, 4:18 PM
Troy or MBUS.

MUKAK
06-14-2013, 4:46 PM
utg all the way

Varg Vikernes
06-14-2013, 5:03 PM
You could wait to see how the Magpul metal BUIS turn out.

Jet Setter
06-14-2013, 5:24 PM
Poly - Magpul MBUS Gen 2
Metal - Troy

Just my opinion.

sholling
06-14-2013, 5:31 PM
Troy sights are my favorite but GG&G aren't bad.

stevie
06-14-2013, 5:33 PM
Poly - Magpul MBUS Gen 2
Metal - Troy

Just my opinion.

I agree

Surfingbuddhist
06-14-2013, 5:52 PM
troy tritium

Arkangel
06-14-2013, 6:25 PM
Poly - Magpul MBUS Gen 2
Metal - Troy

Just my opinion.

Another +1.

tal3nt
06-14-2013, 7:04 PM
Mbus is "best" for me because they have been time tested now to be rock solid despite being polymer, and they are affordable.

Dhena81
06-14-2013, 7:16 PM
I like KAC 600m micro rear and M4 Troy's.

I don't care for HK fronts especially when your talking about a fixed elevation rear sight. It defeats the whole purpose of having an HK front when you have to adjust for elevation by moving the sight post YMMV.

G21Shooter
06-14-2013, 7:20 PM
Troy's are one of the best options but not the only good sight out there.

Nothing wrong with MI and GGG flip ups.

DD makes nice fixed sights, too.

twohi2play
06-14-2013, 9:29 PM
The Knights Micro Front and Rear Flip Sights! After upgrading to these, I threw my Magpuls in the trash.

mobil
06-14-2013, 9:42 PM
Troy

MUKAK
06-14-2013, 9:59 PM
UTG

MUKAK
06-14-2013, 10:00 PM
http://www.manventureoutpost.com/products/Global-Military-Gear-GM%252dFRFUS1-AR15%7B47%7DM4-Front%7B47%7DRear-Flip-Up-Sight-Combo.html?google=1

great sights

duc748bip
06-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Any comment regarding Midwest industry?

negolien
06-14-2013, 11:42 PM
Some of the sights on the market remind me of the price gauging seen in the shotgun extensions...The manufacturing companies know the item is popular so the charge insane prices. No way I' am gonna pay that much money for an item that's super easy to produce.

Press Check
06-15-2013, 12:11 AM
...I threw my Magpuls in the trash.

Another mans treasure...

tjg
06-15-2013, 4:57 PM
If your really going to use them Diamondhead make the best IMO. If not then MBUS.

DDRH
06-15-2013, 5:03 PM
TROY FTW!

LBDamned
06-15-2013, 5:46 PM
I recommend Troy - but if you are local and interested in GG&G (which is also good), I have one for sale $75: http://www.gggaz.com/a2-back-up-iron-sight-buis.html

I use Troy on AR15 and have the GG&G on M&P10 (never fired with it) - the GG&G is slightly higher profile when folded and I barely have clearance for scope... I'm going to replace it with Troy which is why I'm selling it.

Let me know if interested.

proraptor
06-15-2013, 5:49 PM
Ive had troy and mi and they work just as well as each other

penguinofsleep
06-15-2013, 5:57 PM
I think it really depends on what you are shooting and your own eyes. I can't tell you about your own eyes, so:

Shotguns: Typically I like a bead or bead on a rib, but if I need sights, big HK style sights, both front and rear (with the drum) are ideal IMO.

Front sights: I wish GG&G, Troy, Midwest Industries, DD, or some other big manufacturer of irons would make a front sight shape that was similar to the Magpul ones or had the ears just stick straight up - I don't like the bunny ears that flare out nearly as much. Also don't find the small HK sights useful with round rear sights. Hence I mostly use Magpul front sights unless its something that won't allow polymer sights (heat) or for w/e reason they just aren't appropriate (haven't encountered this yet).

Rears sights:
Overall, for say a close quarters gun, I've found the slightly larger rear sight objective of the GG&G to be useful while still being able to get on target at a close distance. They also have a slightly smaller long range objective that I also find helpful at longer ranges.

Other than that, I really like the Troy rears that are diamond shaped.

G21Shooter
06-15-2013, 6:03 PM
Any comment regarding Midwest industry?

Solid sights. Using both, I'd give a nod to Troy in terms of quality though.

xwingred5
06-15-2013, 9:40 PM
One I haven't seen mentioned so far is Yankee Hill Machine's QDS. I'm thinking about a set of these to go with my YHM-based build. Is anyone using these now? Any thoughts?

kusoiyaro
06-15-2013, 9:46 PM
magpul is coming out with steel BUIS and it should be out sometime this summer.

LBDamned
06-15-2013, 9:55 PM
One I haven't seen mentioned so far is Yankee Hill Machine's QDS. I'm thinking about a set of these to go with my YHM-based build. Is anyone using these now? Any thoughts?

it's funny how you find the lone product not mentioned...

In the whole of things, an iron sight really isn't all that intricate... there's not much that one manufacturer does that another can't...

As stated throughout the thread - Troy is a standout... primarily because it is the lowest profile. Some users have no need for low-pro but will choose and "vote" for Troy because it's a proven performer.

The reality is - Troy, GG&G, MI (Midwest Industries) are all perfectly fine choices... I put Magpul on my GF AR and really don't like it (peep is WAY too small) - I know there a lot of Magpul fanbois, but MBUS is crap (seriously)... it's light and cheap, but nothing more.

If you want to get a folding sight that you won't consider replacing... get Troy - you'll understand after you've used 'em all.

Whitefang
06-16-2013, 8:39 AM
My vote is for Troy sights

NorCalXJ
06-16-2013, 11:10 AM
Nothing better than good ol' troys

762.DEFENSE
06-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Troy, KAC, and GG&G.

Full Clip
06-16-2013, 11:34 AM
I've used MBUSs, MIs and YHMs, all to good effect.
ARMSs 40L-P was nice as well.

Cnynrat
06-16-2013, 11:35 AM
We have Troy diamond heads on all our AR's.

CessnaDriver
06-16-2013, 11:44 AM
it's funny how you find the lone product not mentioned...

In the whole of things, an iron sight really isn't all that intricate... there's not much that one manufacturer does that another can't...

As stated throughout the thread - Troy is a standout... primarily because it is the lowest profile. Some users have no need for low-pro but will choose and "vote" for Troy because it's a proven performer.

The reality is - Troy, GG&G, MI (Midwest Industries) are all perfectly fine choices... I put Magpul on my GF AR and really don't like it (peep is WAY too small) - I know there a lot of Magpul fanbois, but MBUS is crap (seriously)... it's light and cheap, but nothing more.

If you want to get a folding sight that you won't consider replacing... get Troy - you'll understand after you've used 'em all.

Did you miss my post about the MBUS holding 1 MOA after being wanged on twice where the Troy went 3 MOA off target after drop test once?

There are other tests out there, I thought they were a cheap solution too but I've converted with such test evidence that it's a sound logical choice.

peter95
06-16-2013, 2:37 PM
google is your best friend when searching for information...

http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html

Dee_Dub
06-16-2013, 2:49 PM
Mag pul MBUS Flip up sight

jbk
06-16-2013, 3:04 PM
I have a set of dpms magonels. I haven't seen them for a while but they are great sights

Arnelcheeze
06-17-2013, 2:44 PM
KAC Micros are the best.

LBDamned
06-17-2013, 2:56 PM
Did you miss my post about the MBUS holding 1 MOA after being wanged on twice where the Troy went 3 MOA off target after drop test once?

There are other tests out there, I thought they were a cheap solution too but I've converted with such test evidence that it's a sound logical choice.

like I said in my post - there a lot of Magpul (MBUS) fanbois (always have been, always will be)... and that's perfectly fine... but of the ones I've used, MBUS is at the bottom.

Difference of opinion will always happen. There are as many flip up site options as there are opinions... one will certainly fit each person.

lehn20
06-18-2013, 1:45 AM
Diamond head sights

4Defense
06-18-2013, 2:39 AM
I recommend Troy - but if you are local and interested in GG&G (which is also good), I have one for sale $75: http://www.gggaz.com/a2-back-up-iron-sight-buis.html

Let me know if interested....

:Ivan:

For Botach Ebay price earlier in the year.

Spawn
06-18-2013, 2:55 AM
Troy Battlesights. Best on the market still

mrc44
06-18-2013, 1:30 PM
Kac micro sights with the 200-600meter rear sight. The front sight post is nice and skinny. Great for long range shots if you are running an aimpoint or eotech.

mrc44
06-18-2013, 1:33 PM
Kac micro sights with the 200-600meter rear sight. The front sight post is nice and skinny. Great for long range shots if you are running an aimpoint or eotech and magnification isn't available

APV
06-18-2013, 1:42 PM
I have YHM front and rear sights with a quick release tactical scope. It works fine for me.

SNCaliber
06-18-2013, 1:51 PM
+1 for troy battlesights!