PDA

View Full Version : I have my Mega maten 308 but..

nestle19
06-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Will close a house in a few months and can't start my build yet :( In the meantime, I was planning on some parts. What do you think?

1) Barrel: I am deciding between a 18-20. Probably a Mega barrel, Fulton Arnory or from Rainiers.
2) Rail: Troy 308 TRX 13.8 inch/12
3) Stock: PRS .308
4) Optics: Probably a Vortex or Nikon.
5) Ill definitely install a Geiselle trigger(SSA E) ; love the triggers on both my ARs.
6) brake/flash: haven't decided yet.
Then I am deciding as well if I should stick with all black rifle or a two tone with burnt bronze. My other 2 rifles are FDE and OD green.

Here's the Maten! Next time you'll see it it will be a built rifle(I hope).

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/nestle_john19/null-9.jpg

Jeymz
06-14-2013, 11:10 AM
I got the mega 20" as it has rifle length gas. Their 16" and 18" are both medium gas length.

nestle19
06-14-2013, 11:15 AM
Did you shoot yours yet? I have nit seen a lot of Mega barrels review since its fairly new in the market.

Jeymz
06-14-2013, 11:20 AM
Yup only with iron sights though. Still saving up for an optic. I have no complaints so far. I was holding out for a rainier arms barrel since they were OOS during my build but could not wait that long. I was up near riflegear and they had the mega barrels in stock so I took the chance.

Haplo
06-14-2013, 6:06 PM
The PRS is a bit heavy but I enjoy using it.
And considering you're using a PRS I'm guessing you intend to use this for more precision-type shooting, so I'd go with a Geissele 2 stage adjustable trigger because I've never used anything better.
Go with a lightweight rail because this rifle is getting heavy.

-This is all from personal experience.

Steve1968LS2
06-14-2013, 6:25 PM
I got the mega 20" as it has rifle length gas. Their 16" and 18" are both medium gas length.

Yea, I'm building my Maten right now.. Mine is the one with the "monolithic" key-mod rail..

I'm going with a 16" Mega stainless barrel and Surefire brake.. also the SSA-E trigger and Magpul UBR stock.

Dying to get it finished and to the range..

Cnynrat
06-14-2013, 7:07 PM
Another MATEN builder here. I have the regular length Key Mod, and have an 18" Superior barrel. I'm also using a PRS stock.

Just need a few more parts and I'm ready to go.

elemenope
06-14-2013, 11:42 PM
I've got the 12" keymod. I have everything but the trigger and grip and some decent mags.

JPE 16" stainless barrel, low mass bcg and comp
Magpul UBR stock

crazyucbr
06-15-2013, 3:53 AM
I say dump the house and build the rifle now... I'm sure the wifey will understand

MilSpecMonkey
06-15-2013, 2:20 PM
Looks like you have some top quality components there. I look forward to seeing your finished build. Have you thought about doing a Magpul CTR stock with Larue Tactical RISR and POD + Versa Pod monopod. That would give you a Larue Tactical OBR style setup since your components seem more geared toward long range precision. If you do have high scope rings or a 20MOA riser, the Larue RISR will help you get a better cheek weld.

nestle19
06-15-2013, 2:37 PM
I say dump the house and build the rifle now... I'm sure the wifey will understand

Hahaha I wish ! Lol but the rifle has to wait I guess. Instead of barrels, I'll be on a hunt for washer/dryers and some appliances.

nestle19
06-15-2013, 2:38 PM
Looks like you have some top quality components there. I look forward to seeing your finished build. Have you thought about doing a Magpul CTR stock with Larue Tactical RISR and POD + Versa Pod monopod. That would give you a Larue Tactical OBR style setup since your components seem more geared toward long range precision. If you do have high scope rings or a 20MOA riser, the Larue RISR will help you get a better cheek weld.

Thanks ! I will look into that as well. Anyone has an opinion on some muzzle brake?

AKSOG
06-15-2013, 3:23 PM
I went through the same thing last year and a short sale. Tough not being able to put as much towards your hobby as you would like but worth it in the long run. Nice receiver