PDA

View Full Version : DIY Bolt Action AR-10

virulosity
06-10-2013, 8:21 PM
I really want to build a side-charging AR-10 (Reaper or LRP-07 knockoff) that has no gas system. I will instead run it as a straight-pull bolt action, with detachable magazines. Do you know where I can find a suitable upper for this? As far as I know, all of the companies that make side charging rifles do not sell the parts separately. I am on a budget and want to trick it out with my own parts anyways. Ideas? Just to clarify, I want the charging handle to be non-reciprocating. I already know you can drill and tap the bolt and have a handle out the ejection port. Thanks!

MrPlink
06-10-2013, 8:35 PM
Its a free country, but as always I can't help but ask, why?
A traditional bolt action for the same amount of cash would probably kick the snot out of what you want to build, and there are plenty of ways to make your bolt action look tacticool these days.

That aside, are you 100 percent intent on building said upper? You could always just buy whatever system you want and install an adjustable gas block and simply shut it completely and Viola!

Or if you are lazy and dont mind doing something you will probably regret down the road just cut the gas tube. If not so lazy you could just remove it.

virulosity
06-10-2013, 8:49 PM
Why would a traditional bolt action kick the snot out of it? Part of the point of using an AR-10 is that you can use preban mags. There is no bolt action rifle that can do that, plus it will be faster to cycle than even a 60 degree bolt. The SR-25 can do 1/2 MOA according to knights armament. If you have a matched bolt and barrel extension, you can run tighter clearances than the standard semi-auto can (because there is no gas system to foul it), increasing accuracy to bolt gun levels. Plus it's got a floating barrel and the ergonomics are better than any bolt gun chassis that I have fired.

smittty
06-10-2013, 9:04 PM
Here's one,
http://www.armslist.com/posts/1357611/colorado-springs-colorado-gun-parts-for-sale--side-charging-lr-308-dpms-ar-10-upper-receiver

Not sure if this is a 10 or 15?,
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1657

I've thought about converting my AR15 if the AW ban passes but just having a detachable mag makes it an AW so I would be screwed either way!

Varg Vikernes
06-10-2013, 9:10 PM
Pretty sure PoF makes one too.

virulosity
06-10-2013, 9:13 PM
smitty: both of those have a reciprocating charging handle (slot needs to be on the left side)

didn't see anything on POFs site

Fjold
06-10-2013, 9:31 PM
Why would a traditional bolt action kick the snot out of it? Part of the point of using an AR-10 is that you can use preban mags. There is no bolt action rifle that can do that, plus it will be faster to cycle than even a 60 degree bolt. The SR-25 can do 1/2 MOA according to knights armament. If you have a matched bolt and barrel extension, you can run tighter clearances than the standard semi-auto can (because there is no gas system to foul it), increasing accuracy to bolt gun levels. Plus it's got a floating barrel and the ergonomics are better than any bolt gun chassis that I have fired.

The Mossberg MVP bolt action uses the AR 15 magazines.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/05/09/mossberg-mvp-varmint-rifle-with-5-56mm-ar-15-magazine/

FresnoCNC
06-10-2013, 9:36 PM
It's easy to make your own. Just buy a side charger bolt and stripped upper from somewhere like Fulton armory and do not install a gas system. Plug your gas port and its done that quick and easy.

smittty
06-10-2013, 9:38 PM
The Mossberg MVP bolt action uses the AR 15 magazines.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/05/09/mossberg-mvp-varmint-rifle-with-5-56mm-ar-15-magazine/

And the MVP is coming out in 308 any time now. It will use AR10 mags.

virulosity
06-10-2013, 9:39 PM
that Mossberg is pretty cool!
Looks like I found a way to do it. ASA will sell you the upper by itself, but they want $750 for it. Im debating whether I could machine my own for that much.

smittty
06-10-2013, 9:54 PM
I have the MVP Predator and it's the single most accurate rifle I ever owned and more accurate than any rifle my shooting buddy has. If Mossberg can repeat what their are doing but in 308 it's going to be AWSOME!

atolax25
06-10-2013, 10:33 PM
I know Mega makes an upper that has a slot cut out for a side charger.

ar15barrels
06-11-2013, 12:26 AM

The biggest issue of using a semi-auto design in a manual operation mode is the lack of camming power in the bolt.
It is much harder to hand-cycle an AR-10 bolt than a proper bolt-action rifle.

FMJBT
06-11-2013, 8:30 AM
I'm curious: why the need for a non-reciprocating bolt handle, on a bolt that doesn't cycle automatically after each shot?

The thought of building a bolt gun using AR parts is pretty interesting though. I've thought about doing this over the years, but always had other projects that took priority.

Without the need of a forward assist, charging handle or dust cover, you could probably make the upper out of a simple piece of pipe. Replace the gas key with a lower profile pin that would serve to keep the BCG aligned. Without the weight of the BCG being a factor in how the rifle cycles, you could also trim a lot of it away, making a much shorter and lighter bolt assembly. Could even build it up as a bullpup design to make an extremely compact rifle. Bolt guns only need to be 26" OAL IIRC.

virulosity
06-11-2013, 7:43 PM
Now you are thinking! Plus no buffer tube, so It can have a folding stock.
Randall: What you are saying is true, but you can definitely cycle it easily by hand, as that is what operators must do when using the full suppressed setting on an adjustable gas system correct?

Euphoria526
06-11-2013, 8:11 PM
I have the MVP Predator and it's the single most accurate rifle I ever owned and more accurate than any rifle my shooting buddy has. If Mossberg can repeat what their are doing but in 308 it's going to be AWSOME!

I completely agree, if they made it in .308 I might have to sell mine to it! :D hahah not really. Don't think ill ever sell it.

MrPlink
06-11-2013, 8:47 PM
Mossy is supposedly coming out with a 308 version next year. Dont know what kind of mags it will take

Varg Vikernes
06-11-2013, 9:05 PM
smitty: both of those have a reciprocating charging handle (slot needs to be on the left side)

didn't see anything on POFs site

Oh woops it was Fulton Armory:

http://www.fulton-armory.com/FAR-308-Upper-Parts.aspx

ar15barrels
06-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Randall: What you are saying is true, but you can definitely cycle it easily by hand, as that is what operators must do when using the full suppressed setting on an adjustable gas system correct?

Take your gas tube out and try it yourself.

middleofnowhere
06-12-2013, 2:02 PM
I am looking at the Ruger Gunsite rifle in .308.
http://ruger.com/products/gunsiteScoutRifle/models.html

Justintoxicated
06-12-2013, 2:12 PM
You will have to fully size your brass if your going to rely on the spring to load the next round. You would be better off using a bolt gun. High cap mags are not important in a bolt gun configuration IMO, and will probably just get in the way.

russ69
06-12-2013, 3:15 PM
The best way to do what you are doing is to just plug the mag well with a single loading sled. It will be a single shot but it will shuck the shell and the bolt will be held back for the next shot. You can screw the mag in place with multiple screws if you wish. The only way that will be illegal in the future would be if there is a total semi-auto ban.

If that's not good enough, take a look at a tube gun. http://www.tubegun.net/

saki302
06-12-2013, 6:06 PM
Umm..

It won't work without the buffer tube.

The bolt carrier still needs to go somewhere :D Unless you make up a custom bolt carrier- that would be cool.

If I were to do it- I'd simply pull the gas block and tube (use a clamp or set screw block). When you go shoot in a free state, it takes minutes to reinstall :)

Also, if you shoot single rounds fed by hand, you'd be surprised at the groups you can achieve. An AR10 can match a lot of bolt guns.
Fed in semi auto through the mag- it depends how beat up the bullet tips get :D

-Dave

G21Shooter
06-12-2013, 8:31 PM
And the MVP is coming out in 308 any time now. It will use AR10 mags.

Holy ****! I am going to have to buy one!

G21Shooter
06-12-2013, 8:33 PM
If I were to do it- I'd simply pull the gas block and tube (use a clamp or set screw block). When you go shoot in a free state, it takes minutes to reinstall :)

Also, if you shoot single rounds fed by hand, you'd be surprised at the groups you can achieve. An AR10 can match a lot of bolt guns.
Fed in semi auto through the mag- it depends how beat up the bullet tips get :D

-Dave

Haha I bet if the current bills pass into laws some genius will come out with a QD gas system, for quickly changing the rifle from a bolt action to a semi auto for use in a free state.

Knife Edge
06-12-2013, 9:25 PM

Itll still be slower than a Sig Blazer II. Furthermore, there is nothing fast about engagements at 1,000 yards.

Dattebayo
06-12-2013, 10:39 PM

Well traditionally, how many rounds you can throw down range is not often something that is looked upon for precision rifles.

I personally think you will be better off with a Remington 700 project or a Savage 10 project.

duc748bip
06-12-2013, 10:42 PM
I see gunsmith cut slots for left side charge and also drill tap the carrier for charging handle.
Don't know where but might take a week week turn around time.

ar15barrels
06-13-2013, 12:00 AM
Umm..

It won't work without the buffer tube.

The bolt carrier still needs to go somewhere :D Unless you make up a custom bolt carrier- that would be cool.

If you are not using the gun as an autoloader, you can cut the back 2/3 of the carrier off and you won't need a buffer tube, spring or buffer.
The carrier rails are only on the front 1/3 or so of the carrier and the rear is just there to reach back to the rear of the receiver and move the buffer and spring...

Thorax
06-13-2013, 9:04 AM
If you are not using the gun as an autoloader, you can cut the back 2/3 of the carrier off and you won't need a buffer tube, spring or buffer.
The carrier rails are only on the front 1/3 or so of the carrier and the rear is just there to reach back to the rear of the receiver and move the buffer and spring...

So exactly how do you purpose moving the bolt forward into battery ?

Luck and wishful thinking ?

The feck....stay away from my guns, it's obvious now that you haven't a clue.

ar15barrels
06-13-2013, 9:53 AM
So exactly how do you purpose moving the bolt forward into battery?

You would need a side charging handle screwed into the carrier.

ar15barrels
06-13-2013, 10:02 AM

It's ironic that you are telling the guy that authored one of the best internet explanations of how the AR gas system operates that he does not have a clue...

www.ar15barrels.com/prod/operation.shtml

uxo2
06-13-2013, 10:07 AM
Apr 2010

It's ironic that you are telling the guy that authored one of the best internet explanations of how the AR gas system operates that he does not have a clue...

someone tried to get you Ar15barrels.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_XNlu9vNoWl8/TIVh7QXWVHI/AAAAAAAAAQk/QfsZ1rp1jXE/s1600/633584945109156823-trolling.jpeg

and you acted nice..........

tanakasan
06-13-2013, 11:40 AM
someone tried to get you Ar15barrels.

and you acted nice..........

Randall = seasoned "troll proof" professional!

Robert

Davidwhitewolf
06-13-2013, 11:47 AM
I think what you may be looking for is a tube gun. (http://www.softgreenglow.com/wp/2012/01/a-firearms-odyssey-hunting-for-boomers-gunning-for-prairie-rats-my-introduction-to-22-br-tube-guns-shooting-‘the-great-white-buffalo’-and-the-sporting-rifle-match-where-i-met-m-2/)

http://www.shooting.com.au/forum/uploads/monthly_01_2011/post-34-067927500%201294196891.jpg

http://www.softgreenglow.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/IMG_4592a-1024x682.jpg

ojisan
06-13-2013, 11:55 AM

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Says the man who does not have a clue who he is talking to.

AR15 Barrels' write up on gas operation is a must read for all AR owners.
:oji:

xoutxkastx
06-13-2013, 11:57 AM

:oji: later sunny. think before you post.

virulosity
06-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Tube gun is cool, I have seen those. The point of what I am doing is that I may want to go back to semi auto, depending on what the laws are where I end up a year from now. I think having the versatility to do both is cool. I had a Yugo SKS with a selectable gas system and manually cycling it with brass cased ammo wasn't that difficult, that's why I didn't think it would be a big deal in this case. 308 is a larger case though :)

crazyucbr
06-24-2013, 12:33 AM

Just bookmarked the site... Ill make sure to read and comprehend. Thanks