PDA

View Full Version : Polymer lowers

DLBullyz
06-10-2013, 12:35 PM
cam some one give me there experience on polymer lowers? thank you

wavelengthsf
06-10-2013, 1:04 PM
I have a New Frontier Armory Gen 2 lower - I've put about 500 rounds through it with no issues shooting 223 or 556. (I've shot a variety including steel-cased, re manufactured HSM, and of course new brass.)

MrPlink
06-10-2013, 1:32 PM
Do a search, this comes up a lot here and elsewhere.

nestle19
06-10-2013, 1:43 PM
Stick with Aluminum. You'll be happy.

BigPimping
06-10-2013, 1:46 PM
My ATI lower seems durable. Haven't tried it yet. Glock seems to be working ok in polymer.

nestle19
06-10-2013, 2:03 PM
My ATI lower seems durable. Haven't tried it yet. Glock seems to be working ok in polymer.

My Sig sp2022 works well too. I haven't seen a Glock and a Sig break, but I can't say the same with a Polymer lower.

db42
06-10-2013, 2:07 PM
My SR9 is polymer, and it doesn't have any issues.
Just picked up an ATI Omni, so we'll see how it shoots later.

MrPlink
06-10-2013, 2:11 PM
Glocks, Scars, and whatever other plastic framed firearm you want to mention do not have an incredibly weak point in their structure that AR15 lower receivers, which is in the area where your buffer extension attaches. Just so happens to be, that's where the poly lowers tend to break

Altahick
06-10-2013, 2:27 PM
ive seen enough break that dont want one. maby after a redesign

Ripon83
06-10-2013, 2:31 PM
I have plum crazies from almost 2 years ago. One has about 600 223 and about 2500 22LR thru it, still going. Another has about 300 223 thru it. Most of the 223 was cheap Herters stuff. Did I have FTF yes, but I also had them in the non polymer Colt lowers too. I'm a fan of the polymer, I'm getting old and like a lightweight AR for hiking.

yuccales
06-10-2013, 2:47 PM
Glocks, Scars, and whatever other plastic framed firearm you want to mention do not have an incredibly weak point in their structure that AR15 lower receivers, which is in the area where your buffer extension attaches. Just so happens to be, that's where the poly lowers tend to break

How true! New out of the box, un-touched Carbon 15, 30 rnds later...............:mad:

Arkangel
06-10-2013, 2:51 PM
NFA lowers seem to be holding up ok. Mine has been good so far...

DBADRAT
06-10-2013, 3:00 PM
Discussed polymer lowers with a 3 gun shooter. he had one break at the from hinge pin when he moved before completely pulling the gun from a window opening and hit the end of the barrel on the window opening. his match was over at this point.

Drivedabizness
06-10-2013, 3:19 PM
I had a NFA lower that I pinned to a Delton upper and later sold as a complete rifle to fund another build. That lower was part of the original 2000 that supposedly had a FCG problem but it worked great for me.

I have an order in for another polymer lower (beefed up where the buffer tube hits and other key points). Now all I need is an affordable upper!

I like having a light, affordable, "patrol" rifle I can pin my Aimpoint or my other red dot to.

GunHo
06-10-2013, 4:16 PM
Leave plastic parts for magpul.

Josh3239
06-10-2013, 4:36 PM
98% of the haters have never used one. I've seen just as many broken aluminum as polymer ones. If they are made tight the buffer tube area is not weak. Those that broke there had a qc issue. I had an ar pistol and rifle on polymer/carbon fiber, never had a problem. I did manage to break an aluminum one. That being said, aluminum is absolutely preferred.

BrassCase
06-10-2013, 5:08 PM
I have some on order from a local Nor Cal manufacturer http://polymer80.com, they should be ready in about 2 weeks. They have beefed up the buffer tube connection and the take down and pivot pin areas. I know they post in the Commercial sales section, $85.oo including a one use jig. http://http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=752698

Jet Setter
06-10-2013, 5:39 PM
NFA complete lowers are great. I have used one for over a year and have had no issues. The torture test seem to show it as a solid and durable lower. Plus, it is very light weight. Using it with a dedicated .22lr upper, it is quite amazing.

IMO, people who say that aluminium lowers are the only thing you should buy are ignorant.

Daydrmr999
06-10-2013, 5:42 PM
I have two NFA gen 2 lowers. About 500 rounds on one, and just put the first 340 rounds through the second this weekend. So far so good, been looking close at the breaking point I've seen on other poly lowers, no signs of fatigue yet. And that spot is beefed up compared to the aluminum lowers I've seen. Used both with the same PSA upper, no ftf, FTE, jams, etc. Yet with three kinds of Russian ammo. I would by another.

joker70
06-10-2013, 9:36 PM
http://imgur.com/tCp90.gif

BigPimping
06-11-2013, 11:47 AM
^^^^^ That was random^^^^

doh31672
06-11-2013, 12:12 PM
I have a couple NFA. Like one of the other posters, mine cracked near the front pivot pin (where the detent and spring is housed), after I used an allen wrench to help push the pin out. Granted, probably used too much force, but it was definitely one of those "would never have happened with aluminum" kind of moments. I reported the problem to NFA and sent if in for inspection, and they shipped me out a new one without cost (I think I paid the $5 to ship mine in a USPS flat rate box. The plus is, you don't need to disassemble the lower, and they will move your LPK over to the new lower and drill out the holes for you).

The lower fits tight - tighter than a forged Seekins that I bought for another build. Too tight tho, actually. I think a lot of people have problems with the mag catch opening being too tight, and I had to take a dremel to mine to open it up a bit. I didn't do a great job at it, but oh well, it works just fine now. For the lower that I sent back to NFA, they drilled out the mag catch opening on the new lower, so it looks and fits great.

ad6mj
06-11-2013, 6:45 PM
How much lighter is a poly lower? Just trying to understand the why?

Checkk
06-11-2013, 6:58 PM
I haven't used it myself yet, I've been pretty active on this forum in the pass year and I can recall about 5 different times different individuals posted about their polymer lowers breaking. That's enough for me to stay away from polymers. I had a NFA complete lower before but ended up selling it because I came across a good deal for 5 Spike's stripped Punisher lowers @ $85 a piece.

Euphoria526
06-11-2013, 7:11 PM
That's why I got carbon fiber :D
It's just a lighter material for a lighter KISS setup

joker70
06-11-2013, 7:34 PM
I don't know how prices are now but before Sandy Hook, NFA complete lowers were $100 and ATI stripped lowers were $40, so there was a huge cost advantage to polymer lowers.