PDA

View Full Version : CMMG quality?

G21Shooter
04-19-2013, 9:05 AM
Guys buddy of mine is selling a CMMG M4 upper NIB.

How would you rate the quality of CMMG uppers/rifles?

Looking for feedback from people who have them, thanks.

RickRyder
04-19-2013, 9:15 AM
CMMG is decent. 1 thing to pay attention to is just about every manufacturer has a top shelf line and a lower quality "affordable" line...That being said, ask your buddy what the model number is and then google that model number, read reviews, watch youtube videos on it and then draw your own conclusion.

proraptor
04-19-2013, 9:28 AM
Ive owned one of their complete rifles, very nice and good quality

G21Shooter
04-19-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the input all!

G21Shooter
04-19-2013, 6:21 PM
Anyone else have a CMMG rifle or upper they care to comment about?

Ever have any issues?

17+1
04-19-2013, 6:36 PM
Have one of their 20" gov't profile uppers with a detachable carry handle. Has always run great for me for a few thousand rounds. I can't remember any rifle related malfunctions off the top of my head. When I first started reloading I had a batch of cases that were causing it to jam just shy of full bolt lock, but that was my fault for not sizing the brass down enough.

Have one of their lower part kits in that rifle...my only complaint was the terrible trigger, but I think that's pretty standard for an off the shelf AR trigger kit. Had a friend lighten it up and it's much better now.

I also have a CMMG lower on my HP service rifle. Has worked fine for thousands of rounds. When I first assembled it, everything went together easily. Finish is holding up good.

prometa
04-19-2013, 6:46 PM
I have one of their uppers I bought new and direct from them. It had a manufacturing defect (upper was forged out of spec-not their fault) and an assembly defect (FSB was off by 10 degrees-definitely their fault). Net result was that it shot ~50MOA left out of windage with the rear sight all the way right. (Trying to get it on paper at 50yds was fun)

Now, that sounds terrible, but no QC is perfect. What matters more is what happens when you call them up with a problem. The FSB was obvious and I had that fixed by a local smith rather than wait the extra 2 weeks for shipping both ways. It was still 5MOA out of windage, so I had it sent back to CMMG.

A few weeks later they called and said, well, we put our carry handle on it and it shot just fine--we think your rear sight is out of spec. I said, no, my sight works fine on another upper. I think your upper you sold me is out of spec. To their credit they listened to what I said and grabbed a micrometer and found the upper rail was ~0.003" too wide, replaced it, and sent it back to me. (Their carry handle was so worn from use it fit okay)

Long story, but my point is that they make quality products, and when they accidentally don't, they stand behind them and listen to customers.

MrPlink
04-19-2013, 7:27 PM
You wont win any cork Sniffer contests with them, but they make quality stuff.
If the price is right, go for it.

G21Shooter
04-19-2013, 8:56 PM
Thanks for the replies! :)

dragon7
04-20-2013, 3:37 PM
I have a CMMG lower I bought for my last build. Mil spec all the way. All parts used to complete the lower from other well known makers. No problems during assembly. Finish is nice and even, machining cleanly done.

xxINKxx
04-20-2013, 5:35 PM
I had a cmmg m4 upper. Shot flawless, and quality was great. Only regret was selling it to a friend who needed to complete his first AR.

FailedAngrMgmt
04-20-2013, 5:39 PM
Won't be getting rid of my CMMG anytime soon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G21Shooter
04-21-2013, 7:00 PM
Well guys I got the CMMG M4 LE upper, pinned it on a JD Machine lower, added some extras I had for fun. I will replace the Burris AR332 with a Aimpoint Pro and magnifier, and the Streamlight probably not staying.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm245/jcole_08/IMG_0019.jpg

RickRyder
04-22-2013, 7:38 AM
Very nice! Try putting your TLR-2 on the right side rail, then move your gripod forward. You will be able to active the light/laser with your thumb while gripping the gripod.

HK Dave
04-22-2013, 7:52 AM
CMMG makes great stuff. Great American Christian company. Awesome customer service.

TZL
04-22-2013, 8:16 AM
CMMG is gtg

They make some of the best packaged LPKs to boot

MrExel17
04-22-2013, 10:29 AM
CMMG is decent. 1 thing to pay attention to is just about every manufacturer has a top shelf line and a lower quality "affordable" line...That being said, ask your buddy what the model number is and then google that model number, read reviews, watch youtube videos on it and then draw your own conclusion.

+1...

Sunday
04-22-2013, 5:22 PM
what material is the bolt made from?
what is the material the barrel made from?
Read what makes a good AR from the BCM website then compare to the cmmg. IMO cmmg is a low end AR . For a range toy is won't matter but if you are going to shoot the snot out of it there are better choices . Colt Daniel defense or BCM would be a way better choice.

CWM4A1
04-22-2013, 6:35 PM
I won't say CMMG is low end, I would categorize them in mid-end along with STAG, Bushmater and S&W and consider that these rifles are very much sufficient for regular shooter/hobbyist.

The reason is very simple. Most gun owner do not shoot enough to feel the difference between higher-end and mid-end gun. You will need to shoot a lot, and by that I meant a lot of rounds, which would be very costly given today's hyper-inflated ammo price. Just like pistol, the only time you can feel the difference in reliability between a Beretta, SIG and Glock is when you shoot at least 500 rounds on a weekly basis.

I've shot at least over 20K rounds of 5.56/.223, burnt out two barrels, broke a bolt, a hammer spring with combination of Wolf ammo, quality factory brass ammo (Federal/Winchester) and factory reloads, mostly done while they were cheap (used to buy 1K Wolf for less than $100 and factory reload for $130/K). Those days are long-gone. Right now I don't have time nor the money to shoot like I used to do.