PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Bolt on a Mosin M44

Low Light
04-18-2013, 8:25 PM
Last weekend while out shooting my M44 for the first time I was only able to put about twenty rounds through before the bolt became too difficult to open and eject/re-chamber the next round. Seemed like it got progressively worse over the course of the twenty-something rounds and on the last two with quite a bit of force I was able to twist the bolt loose. I noticed the extractor was not grasping the case (leaving the spent shell casing half-way out of the chamber) on the way out.

Is this a problem with the extractor? Mis-aligned bolt? I cleaned the entire rifle and got all the cosmo off before re-assembling.

Thanks, in advance; for any insight.

Bhobbs
04-18-2013, 8:26 PM
Try heating everything up with a blow dryer. Any extra cosmo will melt and run out of the little crevices. That's probably why it got harder to open as the rifle warmed up.

ThemBastards
04-18-2013, 8:32 PM
Iraqwarveteran8888 has a video on how to get burnt on Cosmo out of the chamber on YouTube. Not positive this is your issue but if others more experienced say it is then you should check it out.

Divernhunter
04-18-2013, 8:42 PM
Could be the lacquer from mil ammo. Get a brush to fit the chamber and attach it to a drill. Then some solvent and Brake clean spray and work it out. I have seen a number of mosins with this problem. Run the drill and work the brush back and forth using the solvent/brake clean.

glennsche
04-18-2013, 8:50 PM
Could be the lacquer from mil ammo. Get a brush to fit the chamber and attach it to a drill. Then some solvent and Brake clean spray and work it out. I have seen a number of mosins with this problem. Run the drill and work the brush back and forth using the solvent/brake clean.

came here to say this. take the drillbrush to the range, shoot of a stripper clip so everything's nice and hot, then clean. you'll be right as rain in no time.

Chaos47
04-18-2013, 8:52 PM
Sticky-Bolt Syndrome

Divernhunter
04-18-2013, 8:53 PM
That is what I thought

metalliman545
04-18-2013, 8:57 PM
Its broken. Sell it to me I need parts lol

Vlad 11
04-18-2013, 11:31 PM
Dont use brake cleaner unless you want to ruin your stocks finish

Put up a photo of the extractor so we can see if it looks ok

paratroop
04-19-2013, 5:51 AM
I had the same issue with my 44. I did the bronze brush in a drill trick, But I heated up the chamber with a heat gun, and wrapped steel wool around the brush and some gun oil. Got that chamber shiny and smooth.

6mmintl
04-19-2013, 7:01 AM
About hard turning bolt if chambers are clean/lacquer free:

A little tune up of the bolt body and cocking piece is all it needs.

If you look on the top of the cocking ramp/cocking piece you'll see a little ridge, if you look on the bolt body you will see a corresponding V groove in the bolt body that the cocking piece sits in the cocked/open position.

If you stone down the top of the V in the cocking piece and touch up smooth the edges of the V groove in the Bolt body you will have a much smoother break/closure during the initial turning down of the bolt.

Another area to look at is for Chamber burrs in the 2:00 o’clock to 5:00 o'clock from the extractor rubbing against the chamber end (closing bolt on empty chamber) and rolling a burr into the chamber, check for scrapes in that area from extraction, if you have them you will need to deburr and or polish chamber edges.

You do not need to cut any coils off of the firing pin spring to get a smoother less effort bolt lift to load the Moison 91 rifle.
The Moison 91/30 and all its variants already have a very slow lock-time due too the heavy mass of metal/parts (cocking piece) attached to the firing pin and spring, removing firing pin coils only slows down the lock time more and may cause misfires (light striker hits) in cold weather.

Timthetwin
04-19-2013, 11:04 AM
You need to get all the Cosmo out of your stock, because it bleeds into the gun after it heats up from shooting it. Try mineral spirits or tapping into your hot water heater and soaking it in very hot water.