PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in OC want to "rent" me your garand handguard clip pliers?

Citadelgrad87
04-15-2013, 12:49 PM
I have one beloved Garand. I am replacing the wood, and need to swap the spring clip from my old handguard to my new one.

I am buying a gas tube holder to permit me to work on the gas system without tweaking the splines, i have a gas plug wrench, but I would rather rent a clip wrench than buy one. I'd gladly pay $5 to someone if they let me come to a location convenient to them and use the tool in their presence. I just figure I will never use is again, I know never say never, but I just cleaned the garage again and I need to simplify some things. Alternatively, I'd buy someone a beer, and ideally I will bring cigars.

I live in Fullerton and work in Santa Ana right by John Wayne. I threw the new and old rear handguard s in my car just to be flexible.

Thanks.

Orlando
04-15-2013, 2:10 PM
Get 2 pieces of strong thin wire about 18 inches long. Take each piece and loop it through the hole at each end of the clip. Anchor the other end of one wire to something solid. Pull on the other wire ,clip will open and you can rotate the clip out.
I did it this way many times before I bought the proper tool

beerman
04-15-2013, 5:04 PM
I've done it using 2 steel scribes,but Orlando.s tip seems safer

pro-nra
04-15-2013, 5:56 PM
Although I have a handguard clip pliers I hardly use it. I use a snap ring pliers as IMO it works better.

Twystd1
04-16-2013, 1:45 AM
I have what you need. I can meet you near JWA.

PM me with a phone number.

Twystd1

Citadelgrad87
04-17-2013, 9:45 AM
Twysted1 saves the day. After a couple calls, we met and had a cup of coffee, I met both Twysted and another shooter, and pulled the clip off the old handguard and popped it on the new one.

Great guy, I hope to get together with him and do some shooting soon, it's been too long.

Thanks again, Twysted. I do remember your name, but not sure you want it out there.