PDA

View Full Version : Question about having a black powder revolver shipped from vendor

Sdmccart91
04-03-2013, 3:41 PM
Hello,

Being a huge history buff, and loving older firearms, I have finally decided to look into purchasing a black powder revolver. Before doing so, I would like to know if this hypothetical situation is legal. Say I was to buy a replica from a site like Cabela's, is it legal to have the firearm shipped directly to me? Does it need to go through an FFL transfer or have a waiting period placed on it? Been looking into this but cant seem to find a definitive answer. Any help would be appreciated. I guess the question would also extend to ammo, caps and powder.

Thanks.

shy 7th
04-03-2013, 3:45 PM
Directly to your door, no wait, no FFL. All in 1 box too.

Though, paying hazmat on caps and powder will kill your wallet, best to buy locally.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-03-2013, 3:56 PM
Replica muzzle loaders aren't even considered firearms by the Feds. They are considered firearms in California, but California law exempts them from having to be transfered through a dealer.

Eljay
04-03-2013, 4:48 PM
Repeating it three times makes it true, right? The other guys are right - treat it like a firearm (or a deadly weapon) in general but for transfers it might as well be a book. Nobody cares.

You'll notice that if you look on Cabela's website next to every black powder gun they have a list of problem states and California isn't on it for once.

There have been some good recent threads about getting started with the cap and ball revolvers - some helpful hints in there.

Do be aware that California has a barbaric 1 pound limit on black powder and most people use 777 or Pydrodex which aren't legally black powder but can be used in black powder guns. They're treated as smokeless powder (20 pound limit). 777 in particular works very well in the revolvers and cleans up easily but doesn't smell quite right - no sulfur.

Sdmccart91
04-03-2013, 5:03 PM
Well, I am glad that my hunch was correct. I figured this was the case, but figured Id inquire to people who actually have experience in this field. One other question, in reference to the second post, where could you normally find powder and caps? I assume that most of the FLGS's are unlikely to stock these supplies. Even more appreciative if someone has info concerning the OC area.
Thanks again.

Mssr. Eleganté
04-03-2013, 5:09 PM
...but for transfers it might as well be a book...

Well, more like a Playboy magazine. Make sure the buyer is at least 18. :)

arnie19
04-03-2013, 6:08 PM
Years ago when i had an ffl i spent 30 minutes talking to a guy at the Justice Dept .He confirmed my interpretation of a certain statement in the big red book all ffl dealers get.Even cap and ball revolvers are supposed to be registered and at that time the 15 day wait .Same goes for the single shot Tower type if there complete .In kit form no.I had him send me a confirmation letter and also ask him how come if all this is true ,how is it i can go to almost any store and buy a cap and ball revolver and take it him home no questions ask .He said that enforcing laws is not there job ,thats local law enforcement and they dont know the law as well as they should . Arnie

shy 7th
04-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Well, I am glad that my hunch was correct. I figured this was the case, but figured Id inquire to people who actually have experience in this field. One other question, in reference to the second post, where could you normally find powder and caps? I assume that most of the FLGS's are unlikely to stock these supplies. Even more appreciative if someone has info concerning the OC area.
Thanks again.

Most all gun stores should have the synthetic stuff. Real BP is harder to find. I get mine from Angeles Range. I know that's a bit far for OC. Sorry I don't know any OC stores.

Also, when the civil war reenactments come to town, there's always a vendor who sells the stuff. You've got a hundred guys there shooting BP and a couple cannons too. They all need powder. The only downside to this plan is that you're going to have to factor in the cost of the ticket. But, since you're a self-proclaimed history buff, you were probably already going anyways. ;)

Also, since you're shooting a revolver, you're going to want FFFg powder ("3F"s) or the synthetic equivalent.

If you start to branch out to other BP firearms, it gets tricky when buying powder because of the CA 1lb limit.
For my FFg (2F) needs, I use synthetic stuff.
For my FFFg (3F) needs, I buy 1 lb at a time of the real stuff.
For my FFFFg (4F) needs, I use a mortar & pestle to grind up the 3F.

Eljay
04-04-2013, 7:51 AM
You want to visit Walker 47 in Anaheim. Real black powder.