PDA

View Full Version : Mosin Nagant Help - Tips for removing the handguard with minimal damage

TrexTracker
04-02-2013, 4:32 AM
Do you have any tips or tricks for removing the handguard on a Mosin Nagant? Do you use any special tool or technique to make it easier?

Removing the handguard on a Mosin Nagant is the most challenging and damaging part of disassembly. The metal bands get scratched, the wood finish is scraped off when sliding the bands, and my fingers are ready for surgery. Is there a better way to take it apart without damaging the wood and metal each time?

CDFingers
04-02-2013, 5:12 AM
You didn't say which model you have, and that affects taking off the barrel bands.

If you have an m91, don't forget that the threads on the barrel bands are reversed: you turn the screw clockwise to loosen it.

If you have the 91/30 with the split bands, the split may be widened with a screwdriver, then you can slip a business card under the band to slide it off easily.

Some folks put wax on the hand guard.

Pics?

CDFingers

NOTABIKER
04-02-2013, 5:14 AM
those bands can be a pain. do not use a sharp tool to depress the ban springs. i use a flat base center punch. make sure the rifle is secure and not moving around. use something to make the wood slippery so the bands slide off without damaging the finish. that 60 year old shellac on the hand guard is very hard to deal with. my last Mosin a 1934 TULA had nice enough wood and shellac that all i wanted to do is clean it. but the hand guard was so bad i refinished only the hand guard. i mixed red paint coloring and amber shellac until it was close to the old finish. it came out close but not perfect. mainly the new finish is just to clean. i rubbed it down [hand guard] with black shoe polish and used motor oil to age it some. would it pass the collector test NO. does the rifle look nice yes. this way i have a stock that is mostly un touched and no flaky shellac on the hand guard. i am not saying to do this to your mosin. i have only owned 1 mosin that had very nice wood with shellac good enough that all i did was rub it down with WD-40 which did not hurt the shellac.

TrexTracker
04-02-2013, 5:59 AM
You didn't say which model you have, and that affects taking off the barrel bands.

Tips for any or all the Mosin Nagant and variants - regular and carbine Mosins. I think everyone can benefit.

I love to shoot surplus ammos, but the take down for cleaning ruins these timepieces.

emcon5
04-02-2013, 8:32 AM
I love to shoot surplus ammos, but the take down for cleaning ruins these timepieces.

Why would you remove the handguard to clean the bore? The inside of the barrel is the bit you need to worry about.

TrexTracker
04-02-2013, 8:39 AM
Why would you remove the handguard to clean the bore? The inside of the barrel is the bit you need to worry about.

I douse all the metal parts with hot water, including the chamber.

I want to be thorough. :shrug:

C&Rtrader
04-02-2013, 8:58 AM
Use dish soap (non-diluted) as a lube. It will not harm the stock. Wipe dry afterwards.

Huh... good idea. I will start doing that. thank you sir.