PDA

View Full Version : More thoughtful eloquence from the Bradys

Patriot
10-25-2007, 9:34 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,304806,00.html

Students Strap On Empty Holsters to Protest Gun Restrictions on Campus

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

College students across the country have been strapping empty holsters around their waists this week to protest laws that prohibit concealed weapons on campus, citing concerns over campus shootings.

"People who would otherwise be able to defend themselves are left defenseless when on campus," said Ethan Bratt, a graduate student wearing an empty holster this week on the campus of Seattle Pacific University.

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, a group of college students, parents and citizens who organized after the deadly shootings at Virginia Tech University in April, launched the protest.

A national debate over gun laws on campus began in the wake of those shootings, in which a deranged student killed 32 people in a classroom building before committing suicide. It was the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history.

Campuses are prime targets for people intent on harming others because laws prohibit concealed weapons there, Bratt said.

But others believe college is no place for firearms.

"You don't like the fact that you can't have a gun on your college campus? Drop out of school," said Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

When someone pulls out a gun and starts firing in a crowded environment, it's more likely that additional victims will be harmed, Hamm said.

"Let's be grateful that those holsters are empty," he said.A group of 12 students chose to wear empty holsters to class this week at the University of Idaho as part of the nationwide protest.

Aled Baker, a junior, said he loses his constitutional right to protect himself and others when he steps on campus.

"It's null and void when you go on campus," the mechanical engineering student said.

Baker, a sportsman and hunter, has a license to carry a concealed handgun and hopes the protest will get people talking about the issue.

Many universities, like George Washington University, prohibit carrying concealed handguns on campuses.

"We do not allow weapons on campus for the safety and security of our student body and faculty," said Tracy Schario, spokeswoman for George Washington University in Washington, D.C.

Justin Turner, a senior in criminology and history at Florida State University, also wants the ability to carry a concealed handgun on campus.

"I'm hoping that people actually realize that this is something that college students are serious about moving forward and realize that it's not about taking the law into your own hands; it's about taking personal responsibility for yourself," said Turner, chairman of the Florida State chapter of Students for the Second Amendment.

Congress is considering legislation that would tighten background checks and give states funding to submit information to a national database that would prevent guns from being sold to dangerous buyers. House lawmakers passed the legislation, but it remains in the Senate.

"It fixes the problem that the states are not submitting the necessary records of people who have been found by a court to be dangerously mentally ill," Hamm said.

Family members and survivors of the Virginia Tech shootings recently visited members of Congress to urge lawmakers to pass the legislation they believe could help prevent future tragedies.

Such tact! It would appear, to put it mildly, that the Brady Campaign considers CCW to be incompatible with pursuing an education. :mad:

Rob P.
10-25-2007, 9:53 PM
Actually, the Brady's don't believe in higher education for anyone anyway. The stupid tend to do what they're told while the educated like to think for themselves. As a leader of a group determined to rule the free world, which group of people would you rather have standing in your way?

aileron
10-26-2007, 5:37 AM
So let me get this straight.

When someone pulls out a gun and starts firing in a crowded environment, it's more likely that additional victims will be harmed, Hamm said.

So if I manage to miss my target, hit an innocent bystander who is about to be shot anyways, before I manage to kill the bad guy. Thats bad. Because had I not been there, then all is well, because only the bad guy killed that person? Therefore there is no innocence and thats the way it should be?

Or is it by body count? Had I not accidentally shot someone before killing the bad guy then the body count would of been higher because no one was there to stop the shooter? Which is good?

Or is it that I will be emotionally scared for life for having killed or shot an innocent person?

Did it ever cross his mind that most likely people will be on the ground or cowering so I probably have a clean shot at the bastard?

berto
10-26-2007, 8:52 AM
You don't like the fact that you can't have a gun on your college campus? Drop out of school," said Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.

Don't like guns? Don't buy one.

cartman
10-26-2007, 11:13 AM
They don't want you to stop a bad guy from killing people because it goes against thier argument. They care more about their existence(Brady group) then actually stopping anything. They probaly secretly want gun violence to justify the waste of space they are.

Charliegone
10-26-2007, 11:17 AM
So let me get this straight.

So if I manage to miss my target, hit an innocent bystander who is about to be shot anyways, before I manage to kill the bad guy. Thats bad. Because had I not been there, then all is well, because only the bad guy killed that person? Therefore there is no innocence and thats the way it should be?

Or is it by body count? Had I not accidentally shot someone before killing the bad guy then the body count would of been higher because no one was there to stop the shooter? Which is good?

Or is it that I will be emotionally scared for life for having killed or shot an innocent person?

Did it ever cross his mind that most likely people will be on the ground or cowering so I probably have a clean shot at the bastard?

I don't even think someone with a CCW will even fire if there's a risk another person would get shot. Rules man! Rules! The CCW holder will wait for the opportune time to fire. Hamm sounds like Perata when he said Olympic shooters should just go shoot elsewhere other than California when SB15 passed. What a d***!

N6ATF
10-26-2007, 12:47 PM
They don't want you to stop a bad guy from killing people because it goes against thier argument. They care more about their existence(Brady group) then actually stopping anything. They probaly secretly want gun violence to justify the waste of space they are.

Yep. Or they're aliens and are trying (and failing) to soften up the U.S. for an invasion.

aileron
10-26-2007, 3:56 PM
I don't even think someone with a CCW will even fire if there's a risk another person would get shot. Rules man! Rules! The CCW holder will wait for the opportune time to fire. Hamm sounds like Perata when he said Olympic shooters should just go shoot elsewhere other than California when SB15 passed. What a d***!

His worst case scenario not mine.

I cant say what one person would or wouldn't do while being shot at. But it just seems stupid to suggest someone who could stop a mass murderer from further mass murder somehow would be contributing to the problem by his/her conceived potential negligence.

Patriot
10-26-2007, 4:29 PM
http://www.upitall.com/Private/u/50/73/1045

M. Sage
10-26-2007, 4:45 PM
His worst case scenario not mine.

I cant say what one person would or wouldn't do while being shot at. But it just seems stupid to suggest someone who could stop a mass murderer from further mass murder somehow would be contributing to the problem by his/her conceived potential negligence.

This is going to sound bad, maybe but.....

If someone forces you to fire a gun in defense of yourself or a whole lot of people like in a college shooting, wouldn't any injuries from a defensive shooter who took all precautions possible be the moral responsibility of the BG? Seems that way to me. Don't shoot at me, I won't shoot back... Without a BG, those bullets wouldn't be there.

lawnrevenge
10-26-2007, 4:56 PM
Hey Peter Hamm,
You don't like the fact that you can't ban all guns and remove our rights? Drop out of America, I hear the UK is a gun free utopia now.

five.five-six
10-26-2007, 5:06 PM
Hey Peter Hamm,
You don't like the fact that you can't ban all guns and remove our rights? Drop out of America, I hear the UK is a gun free utopia now.

or better yet austrailia... freaking moron!

N6ATF
10-26-2007, 11:19 PM
Free government healthcare and gun free utopia... yeah, the UK is so great.

The NHS is not without tons of valid criticisms, in and out of government.

And childrens' and PCs' blood still flows in the streets whether it be from ^gasp^ guns or knives.