PDA

View Full Version : AK drum problem

swift
10-24-2007, 2:29 PM
What can be done about a chinese drum spring release plunger not releasing the spring? It seems to be wound up pretty tightly and I can barely move the follower clockwise. As I move it clockwise, there seems to be increasing pressure against my fingers, to the point where it is not too comfortable to attempt to rotate the 'spider'.

Does it sound like I am doing something wrong or does it sound like there is something wrong with the drum?

soopafly
10-24-2007, 4:00 PM
If you can barely turn it clockwise anymore, that means that the spring is wound up tight-almost to its limit. Now, when you push down on the spring release plunger, does it physically depress down and the spring tension does not release? Or is the plunger stuck and will not depress? Either way, it sounds like the spring is just wound way too tight and is stuck.

I had the same problem when I first got my 100 round drums way back when I was a young'n. I wanted to make sure there was enough tension to feed the rounds and ended up winding the drum's spring too tight and it got stuck. My solution? I banged the magazine on the floor and the spring unstuck itself. I don't know about this method now, since these magazines are like gold in this state. Back then, there were no restrictions, and if I destroyed the mag, I would have just bought another for $20.

Maybe you could try this: set the mag sideways so you can depress the spring release plunger on one side and firmly tap the opposite side with a rubber mallet at the same time. Good luck. Take care of those mags.

swift
10-24-2007, 6:57 PM
Soupafly,
Thanks for the fix! I decided that the plunger wasn't moving enough, and I applied more pressure on it. The mechanism spun nicely. I oiled the heck out of it and worked it in a bit.

That thing was fully wound up for quite a few years. Whenever I finally do get an AK, I'll see if it still works.

soopafly
10-25-2007, 10:44 AM
Glad you were able to fix it. After seeing this thread, you had me function testing my drum mags last night...

Whenever I finally do get an AK, I'll see if it still works.You don't need to have an AK readily accessible. Just load up the mag, wind up the spring tension, and use a spare cartridge or other tool to strip rounds from the mag. That should let you know if the magazine itself is operational.

wksun88
10-25-2007, 9:09 PM
if that drum mag gets too bothersome for you, I will gladly take it free of charge
:)

Full Clip
10-25-2007, 9:36 PM
The problem with my AK drum mag is that I don't have one.

jandmtv
10-25-2007, 9:55 PM
The problem with my AK drum mag is that I don't have one.

+1:D