PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about low priced handguns

rohare
03-02-2013, 4:25 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm been shooting rifle and shotgun for a little while now and was looking at a low cost entrance to handguns. To be totally up front, price is going to be the absolute #1 determining factor here. This is so much the case that I was seriously considering a Hi-Point for a while but eventually decided against it. I'm looking at 9mm because it's a cheaper round so I'll be able to practice more, plus this will be doubling as the gun my wife will be learning on and she's recoil sensitive. In the new-gun area I think a Ruger P95 is the highest I could go financially but I've also seen people recommend a tokarev or makorav. Are these chambered in 9mm Parabellum or are they one of the more obscure 9mm varients? I think I should avoid anything not likely to be found in the average sporting good store because I live in LA and as far as I know I can't mail order ammunition. So my questions break down to:
1) Is there anything available new that is cheaper than a P95 but not a Hi-Point?
2) Am I being snobby because I'm avoiding a Hi-Point?
3) Can a Makorav or Tokarev be found in 9mm Parabellum?
4) Am I being rediculous because I'm avoiding a non-parabellum 9mm cartridge?
5) If I did buy a Mak or Tok, how does one go about that? I don't imagine they would be in the local gun store on a regular basis.
6) Any other suggestions?

Thanks a bunch guys!

Virus55
03-02-2013, 4:31 PM
I think you'll be happy with the ruger p95 honestly dude.

B!ngo
03-02-2013, 5:15 PM
Buy a used 9mm (9x19). Don't buy a new gun. A LEO trade-in makes for a great first gun if you can find a shop that carries them. The Ruger is fine, but you can likely find a used Glock for the same or less.
B

BoJackUSMC
03-02-2013, 5:17 PM
+1 on used Glock if you can find one for reasonable price...

chiselchst
03-02-2013, 5:43 PM
+1 on used Glock if you can find one for reasonable price...

+1 I just purchased a BNIB Glock, from the LGS (that is NOT known for good prices) for less than any I've seen here, used. Just have to be patient, and shop around.

warthog1984
03-02-2013, 5:59 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm been shooting rifle and shotgun for a little while now and was looking at a low cost entrance to handguns. To be totally up front, price is going to be the absolute #1 determining factor here. This is so much the case that I was seriously considering a Hi-Point for a while but eventually decided against it. I'm looking at 9mm because it's a cheaper round so I'll be able to practice more, plus this will be doubling as the gun my wife will be learning on and she's recoil sensitive. In the new-gun area I think a Ruger P95 is the highest I could go financially but I've also seen people recommend a tokarev or makorav. Are these chambered in 9mm Parabellum or are they one of the more obscure 9mm varients? I think I should avoid anything not likely to be found in the average sporting good store because I live in LA and as far as I know I can't mail order ammunition. So my questions break down to:
1) Is there anything available new that is cheaper than a P95 but not a Hi-Point?
2) Am I being snobby because I'm avoiding a Hi-Point?
3) Can a Makorav or Tokarev be found in 9mm Parabellum?
4) Am I being rediculous because I'm avoiding a non-parabellum 9mm cartridge?
5) If I did buy a Mak or Tok, how does one go about that? I don't imagine they would be in the local gun store on a regular basis.
6) Any other suggestions?

Thanks a bunch guys!

1) There might be a couple new things cheaper, but probably not a ton- check out Turners, Big 5, etc... OR ask your LGS for help finding a decent used gun.
2) No. The biggest problem with Hi-Points is reliability: one fair review averaged a FTF/FTE every 28 rounds. Annoying for a range toy, deadly for a HD gun.
3) Mak & Tok are usually chambered in "9mm Makarov" or 9x18. Not super-difficult to find, but not the ubiquitous 9mm Luger/Para/9x19. May be an issue in LA proper. Are you city of LA or county? Ammo restrictions are LA city only.
4) It depends. The 9mm Mak is a good round, but it is more difficult to find/supply.
5) You'd be surprised- Ask!
6) If this is to be a HD gun (I'm assuming), make sure anyone who may need to use it fires enough to be proficient (can reliably hit Center of Mass @ 25ft). Don't be the guy who buys a gun for protection but won't/can't spend the money to use/carry it safely.

neouser
03-02-2013, 6:00 PM
Used guns are one way to go.

Another option that's usually pretty inexpensive is the Smith and Wesson Sigma SW9VE. Those can be had for just under $300 if you look around carefully and find the right sale. Another good deal, if you can find a decent sale, is the Sig Sauer SP2022. Those can be had for under $400 sometimes. (Not often anymore, but it still happens occasionally.)

Trenchfoot
03-02-2013, 6:11 PM
American Shooting Center in San Diego has 3 Military trade in Beretta M9's in stock right now. I personally would buy one of those before getting a Hi-Point.

tbc
03-02-2013, 6:20 PM
I would stick to the Ruger P95 instead of the Russian brands. The p95 comes with a warranty and a great customer service.

Sent from iPhone

urbanfood
03-02-2013, 6:34 PM
9mm ammo is hard to find and not cheap. i recommend looking at .22lr caliber, it'll allow to practice and shoot and develop your skills. i just purchased a ruger mark III 22/45 for $299 at turners, pick it up on monday.

my original intent was to get a 9mm, the glock 19, but they are very hard to find, plus ammo is expensive, even if you can find it.

SMR510
03-02-2013, 6:39 PM
9mm ammo is hard to find and not cheap. i recommend looking at .22lr caliber, it'll allow to practice and shoot and develop your skills. i just purchased a ruger mark III 22/45 for $299 at turners, pick it up on monday.

my original intent was to get a 9mm, the glock 19, but they are very hard to find, plus ammo is expensive, even if you can find it.

All ammo is hard to find right now, took me 2 weeks to find a decent online deal for .22 and decent wasnt very good compared to what I paid a couple months ago.

OP-Buy a used gun as others have suggested, it is the best bang for your buck. It will take some time to find the right deal but make sure you have all your paperwork ready to go so that you can jump on any good deals you see without any issue. Go get your HSC, make sure your DL is up to date, and make sure you have something that satisfies proof of residency (most use a car registration, must match DL).

Foxsweep
03-02-2013, 7:59 PM
Keep in mind... You get what you pay for... :facepalm:

E Michael
03-02-2013, 8:11 PM
If you're just looking for a range gun a hi point"which comes with a lifetime warranty"isn't a horrible choice.its just really ugly ha.have you looked at some of the 380 handguns, decent price on those and ammo is readily available

ChrisBrooklyn
03-02-2013, 10:21 PM
a used glock or beretta can be had for 400 easy.. youll be far happier with that than any new hi point or cz or (substitute budget gun)

AleksandreCz
03-02-2013, 11:13 PM
a used glock or beretta can be had for 400 easy.. youll be far happier with that than any new hi point or cz or (substitute budget gun)

CZ ?
They make some of the Finest service pistols today. Easily the same quality as FN or Glock.

warthog1984

1) If your budget is small go with a Used pistol You can find some good Deals here on the forum or at your local LGS. Another I've even seen some good quality police trade in or C&R shipments. A for example walther P1 if can be had for a reasonable price.

2) Don't skimp on the Quality Your Life might depend on it.

3)A makarov (Russian or Bulgarian) If you can find it will serve you well it a good and rugged combat pistol. And while ammo is not as widely available as 9mm Parabelum there is plenty of it out there. I would skip the Tokarev entirely however.

4) Yes you are

Trenchfoot
03-02-2013, 11:25 PM

A budget gun wouldn't have a 1million+ NATO contract.

5L1P5TR3AM
03-03-2013, 12:49 AM
+1 on the SW9VE. Super reliable and after an easy trigger job is a great shooter.

esy
03-03-2013, 7:46 AM
CZ, a budget gun? Whoever thought of that knows nothing about guns.

tonelar
03-03-2013, 8:00 AM
the last time CZs were priced like a budget brand was over ten years ago

THEJAPINO
03-03-2013, 8:02 AM
I just DROS'd a pre-B CZ for under $400 OTD. It can be done...

ChrisBrooklyn
03-03-2013, 9:18 AM
A budget gun wouldn't have a 1million+ NATO contract.

wow, im saying hed be happeir with a glock than a cz, or some budget gun.. and cz does make some crappy pistols, not all of them

ptgarcia
03-03-2013, 9:28 AM
The P95 is your best bet at your price point. It will be a challenge to find a used Glock for $300.

Trenchfoot
03-03-2013, 10:17 AM
wow, im saying hed be happeir with a glock than a cz, or some budget gun.. and cz does make some crappy pistols, not all of them

To each his own. For me, here isn't much in the CZ line that I wouldn't prefer over a Glock.

http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/handguns/

xbuilder9mm
03-03-2013, 10:46 AM
I was in the same exact situation you are in, I bought a used P95 from a Calgunner and I am very happy with my decision. Also nothing like using standard 9 mm ammo in todays atmosphere.
good luck

Alan Chen
03-03-2013, 12:31 PM
CZ, a budget gun? Whoever thought of that knows nothing about guns.

Um, sorry to break it to you, CZ's are budget friendly guns. Cheap doesn't mean bad. In fact I would argue that they are big bang for your $. But there are many factory mass produced handguns that cost thousands, not to mention all the custome guns out there ;)

zurppin
03-03-2013, 1:02 PM
Glock Police trade ins are always a good choice

esy
03-03-2013, 1:40 PM
Um, sorry to break it to you, CZ's are budget friendly guns. Cheap doesn't mean bad. In fact I would argue that they are big bang for your $. But there are many factory mass produced handguns that cost thousands, not to mention all the custome guns out there ;)

A Hi-Point is a budget brand, IMO. For firearms, budget brand is less than $300 and CZ is not under $300. That isn' to say that just because one is spending more or less, makes that firearm any better or worse, but it's likely.

$500 is not "budget" to me as i don't have money oozing out of my pores.

PatrickRyan
03-03-2013, 1:42 PM
+1 on the SW9VE. Super reliable and after an easy trigger job is a great shooter.

This. You can buy them brand new for 275-300. Its a great durable gun to start out with.

esy
03-03-2013, 1:56 PM

That's an opinion and you don't know he'd be happier with a Glock over a CZ.

Which CZ pistols have you shot and which CZ pistols are crappy? I'm curious what your experiences and opinions are concerning the CZs are.

Again, CZ is NOT a budget brand. They are a far cryfrom it. They're similar in price to Glocks and are even typically more expensive than XDs. I doubt anyone (unless they're made of money) would consider Glocks or XDs as "budget guns or brands".

Just saying.

rsmorgan
03-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Makarov uses the Soviet 9x18mm round which isn't the easiest to find. "Product support" for Maks isn't.

True Tokarevs are 7.62x25mm but there are some versions in 9x19mm. (None in 9x18 that I know of, but never say never...) 7.62 is a very expensive round to shoot if you don't use mil-surp ammo and most ranges don't allow steel case, steel/bimetal jacket ammo. Same product support issue as the Mak.

Lots of reasonable "second tier" 9mms out there now, but not accessible in Calif. for the most part.

Best bet is a good used handgun in 9mm, such as a used Glock or whatever, but used guns are not easy to find. Ruger P95 is probably your best bet in an inexpensive new gun. S&W Sigma is also a good gun but most folks don't like the trigger.