PDA

View Full Version : SCOTUS to hear Heller v. DC

KenpoProfessor
09-30-2007, 1:25 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21039929/

I hope this works out to our benefit.

Check out this one also, it may not be updated or someone got ahead of themselves at MSNBC.

http://www.supremecourtus.gov/docket/07-290.htm

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

VegasND
09-30-2007, 1:34 PM
This one will be a nail-biter for those of us on the side of the 2nd amendment. I would rather see a definitive ruling on the meaning of the amendment than a narrow one. But, however it goes, I hope it is pro-individual right.

Liberty1
09-30-2007, 2:02 PM
Is that saying they will take the case or just consider? I'm not finding it verified on any other new source yet.

Scarecrow Repair
09-30-2007, 5:45 PM
This is just the normal news about the cases they do have and may take later.

aileron
09-30-2007, 6:22 PM
Yahoo has a video of it right now from CNN.

http://news.yahoo.com/i/2469;_ylt=Ar5_VwaQuq15n49Fp.GRi7iyFz4D

They said.

"Expected to Decide"

Which would mean hasn't excepted.

FreedomIsNotFree
09-30-2007, 7:03 PM
One thing about SCOTUS. They have an uncanny ability to surprise. I'm worried they may try to split the difference in some manner.

trashman
09-30-2007, 7:40 PM
One thing about SCOTUS. They have an uncanny ability to surprise. I'm worried they may try to split the difference in some manner.

I was just watching 60 Minutes' interview with Clarence Thomas and mulling this over. Thomas is a staunch "states' rights" defender, but I'm pretty sure he'd come down with the majority on this, i.e., 2A as an individual right.

My sense is that this will be the path forged by the court; the larger "individual" right will be affirmed and precedent set, but so too will be the states' ability to regulate that right as their legislatures see fit. This is as about as internally consistent conservative legal opinion you'll get from the Court, IMO.

And, truth be told, that's not going to help us in CA with the List (handguns or AR's), but it will stop the handgun ban nonsense that pops up every few years here in San Francisco.

My worry is that if the court goes farther than expected, it could cause a backlash at the Congressional level -- which could take us years to recover from.

--Neill

stator
10-01-2007, 5:50 PM
I do not think it was granted but just the media jumping the gun. A quick search of todays order list shows not results for Heller, and four non-related results for Parker being denied.

ETA: searched again for the docket # 07-290, but no results were returned.

wilit
10-01-2007, 7:21 PM
And, truth be told, that's not going to help us in CA with the List (handguns or AR's), but it will stop the handgun ban nonsense that pops up every few years here in San Francisco.

--Neill

It may help us. If SCOTUS decides 2A is individual, but states can regulate, that (in my opinion) rules in our favor in the long run. That could mean that AW bans are unconstitutional, but regulation (such as NFA weapons) is allowed. Perhaps there may be a CA AW tax stamp in our future.

Liberty1
10-02-2007, 11:50 AM
It may help us. If SCOTUS decides 2A is individual, but states can regulate, that (in my opinion) rules in our favor in the long run. That could mean that AW bans are unconstitutional, but regulation (such as NFA weapons) is allowed. Perhaps there may be a CA AW tax stamp in our future.

The only issue that will have any binding authority in Heller will be the "in the residence" issues of possession of a firearm in an operable (loaded and ready) condition. Hopefully the court will expound like the Emerson and Parker decisions and give more guidance to district courts on the other issues regarding the 2A. It will be years, and perhaps not until the circuit courts are again in conflict, before another case reaches the SCOTUS regarding carry outside the home.

Charliegone
10-02-2007, 11:55 AM

Hell that's better than nothing at all...besides, this can be worked back to no tax stamp....since they wouldn't be able to go forward with anything new, plus there would be some advantages to this (like "reintroducing AW's to the public" haha...sounds kind of funny.)