PDA

View Full Version : A2 carry handle scope mount problem

smle-man
02-15-2013, 11:21 AM
I bought a scope mount for my A2 that attaches through the hole in the carry handle and has a jamb nut to hold it in place. I have a 3-9x Bushnell 70s vintage scope that I pulled off of a Remington 760 that I bought from a Calgunner a couple years ago so I plopped it with the weaver rings on the mount. At the range today it shot nice, tight but 6" high groups at 50 yds and at 100 yds it was a foot high with the cross hair adjustment bottomed out. I tried a simple soda can shim at the aft end of the mount to see if that would help but it just made it shoot even higher. The mount is firm and steady and fully seated in the carry handle.

So, what next? shim the back ring so it sits a tad higher, or is it more likely a defective scope? Maybe the mount is off? Any ideas where to go next?

Gutz
02-15-2013, 11:35 AM
With anyhing that is bolted down, your POA (point of aim) will change dramatically at longer distances if the torque on the screw is messed with.

With that, how did it shoot on the Remington? Same issue with that rifle?

ck66
02-15-2013, 4:11 PM
Shim the mount at the fore, not aft.

smle-man
02-15-2013, 9:30 PM
I didn't use the scope on the 760 so I can't say if it had a problem on that rifle but the previous owner said he took a mule deer with the combination so it must've worked for him.

Since the scope is shooting high won't shimming the front make is shoot even higher?

ck66
02-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Shimming the back would have the same effect as raising the rear sight with irons. Your POI would rise.

SonofWWIIDI
02-17-2013, 1:04 AM
Shooting high means the scope is pointing down in relation to the barrel, so shimming the front is correct. Picture lines coming out of the barrel and scope, they should be approxately parallel at close range. Now picture the rifle line bisecting the scope line at an upward angle. Raise the front of the scope to correct.

ducky_0811
02-17-2013, 6:28 PM
keep in mind that the scope you are using is designed to be mounted on a bolt action or similary styled rifle, and the elevation drum is not designed to compensate for the extra distance inbetween the barrell and the tube. todays scopes are designed with much more adjustment room and therefore easily compensate for added distance.