PDA

View Full Version : Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program

RoundEye
02-11-2013, 10:31 AM
http://mqp.nra.org/images/education/quallogo.gif

06/05 - UPDATE: We received confirmation today from the NRA Program Coordinator, and all of the qualifications must be done in the same caliber (.22lr, 9mm, .40, .45, ...), and action (revolver, auto loader, ...) So if you start with .22lr Derringer, you need to finish it with .22lr Derringer or another .22lr with the same action. However, if you have a malfunction we can switch guns as long as its the same caliber.

07/26 - Update: A link to the printer template for the certificates has been added to the bottom of this post.

Whether you just purchased your first pistol, or you're a seasoned shooter, the Winchester/NRA Marksman Qualification has something for everyone. The NRA Basic Pistol & Defensive Pistol Qualification Courses provide the perfect self-paced shooting activity to help develop your skills and reward your achievements. You can shoot on your own or at the Monthly Chapter Shooting events you'll be able to purchase target qualification packages which will provide you with all of the targets required to earn a particular qualification plus a couple of extras, and the corresponding certificate packages once you've earned rank.

In summary, participants will be able to earn patches, rockers, pins, and certificates of achievement for completing established set courses of fire for a given discipline. You'll be able to work your way up from Marksman to Expert, and even nationally recognized achievement of Distinguished Expert. So come one, come all, challenge your friends, family, enemies, and fellow Calgunners and see what it who has got what it takes to be the best.
--

Basic Pistol Qualification

Basic Practical
- You must complete a certified NRA course to receive this rocker.

Pro-Markman
- Position: Benchrest, two hands.
- Distance: 15 feet
- Target: 9" Paper Plates
- Time: No Restriction
- Course of Fire & Rating Requirement: Shoot 10 plates with five shots on each plate. All shots must be inside a 1/2" margin from the edge of the plate. The 10 plates do not have to be fired in succession or on the same day.

Marksman
- Position: Standing, two hands.
- Distance: 15 feet
- Target: 9" Paper Plates
- Time: No Restriction
- Course of Fire & Rating Requirement: Shoot 10 plates with 10 shots on each plate. All shots must be inside a 1 1/2" margin from the edge of the plate. The 10 plates do not have to be fired in succession or on the same day.

Marksman First Class
- Position: Standing, two hands with strong and week side stages.
- Distance: 30ft (AP-1), or 15ft (AP-2)
- Target: NRA AP-1 or AP-2 precision target.
This is conducted in two stages. Both stages must be completed in one session to qualify as one completed course of fire.
(1.) Strong Side - Five targets with 10 shots each in 6 minutes.
(2.) Weak Side - Five targets with 10 shots each in 6 minutes.
*A total of 10 shots per target. Possible score per target 100.
- Course of Fire & Rating Requirement: Shoot 10 targets, 5 with a score of 46 or better, and 5 with a score of 56 or better. The ten targets do not have to be fired in succession or on the same day. So you cannot shoot all strong side one one day, and all week side on another.

Sharpshooter
- Position: Standing, ready, with two hands, and strong and week side stages.
This is conducted in two stages. Both stages must be completed in one session to qualify as one completed course of fire.
(1.) Strong Side - Five shots in 20 seconds.
(2.) Weak Side - Five shot in 20 seconds.
- Course of Fire & Rating Requirement: Shoot 10 targets, 5 with a score of 60 or better, and 5 with a score of 65 or better. The ten targets do not have to be fired in succession or on the same day. So you cannot shoot all strong side one one day, and all week side on another.

Expert
- Position: Standing, ready, one hand with strong and week side stages.
(1.) Strong Side - Five shots in three minutes, and five shots in 10 seconds.
(2.) Weak Side - Five targets in three minutes, and five shots in 10 seconds.
*A total of 20 shots (10 per target). Possible score per target 200.
- Course of Fire & Rating Requirement: Shoot two times over the course with a minimum score of 130 or better and three times over the course with a minimum score of 150 or better. The number of courses does not have to be fired in succession or on the same day.

Distinguished Expert
Firing for the Distinguished Expert Rating must be witnessed by an NRA Member (with current ID number), or an NRA Instructor or Coach (with current ID number). The NRA Club# for CGSSA is "B89798".
- Position: Standing, ready, with two hands, strong and week side stages.
- Target Setup: AP-1: One target hung at 30ft with the top edge of the target at eye level. AP-2: One target hung a 15ft with the top edge of the target at eye level.
This is conducted in four stages; the four stages must be completed in the same session to qualify as one completed course of fire.
- Stage-1: 5 shots, strong side, 2 hands in 10 seconds.
- Stage-2: 5 shots, strong side, 1 hand in 10 seconds.
- Stage-3: 5 shots, weak side, 2 hands in 10 seconds.
- Stage-4: 5 shots, weak side, 1 hand in 10 seconds.
- Course of Fire & Rating Requirement: Shoot three times over the course with a minimum score of 145, and three times over the course with a minimum score of 170 or better. The number of courses does not have to be fired in succession or on the same day.
--

Target Packages
Pro-Marksman - $2.00 (12 9" Paper Plates)
Marksman - $2.00 (12 9" Paper Plates)
Marksman 1st Class - $6.00 (12 NRA AP-1 Targets)
Sharpshooter - $6.00 (12 NRA AP-1 Targets)
Expert - $6.00 (12 NRA AP-1 Targets)
Distinguished Expert - $6.00 (12 NRA AP-1 Targets)

Award Packages
Winchester/NRA Pistol Qualification Patch: $5.00 (Includes the WInchester Rocker)
We currently have award packages on hand for "Pro-Marksman", "Marksman", "Marksman 1st Class", "Sharpshooter", and "Expert" qualifications.
Inside each award package, you'll get the following:
- NRA Qualification Certificate
- NRA Qualification Medal
- NRA Qualification Rocker
Cost: $10

Complete details about the full program can be found a the following link (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CDoQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftraining.nra.org%2Fdocuments%2Fpd f%2Feducation%2Ftraining%2Fmarksmanship%2Fqualbook .pdf&ei=ci0ZUaygJcLhiALItoHQCg&usg=AFQjCNEuy3DXxq4FAIRTFQFHyLvkkOSHSQ&bvm=bv.42080656,d.cGE).
The template to populate your certificates with a printer is available via the following link (http://mqp.nra.org/certificate-templates.aspx).

RoundEye
02-11-2013, 5:11 PM
Pistol/Handgun Rankings

Distinguished Expert
1.) Choo2x (.45 ACP)
2.) PM720 (.22lr)
3.) RoundEye (.22lr)
4.) Artema
5.) Chickshooter
6.) Wlee (.45ACP
7.) Milan2112 (9mm)
8.) .sam.

Expert
1.) Tripeaks69
2.) pmrsino
3.) DebitsAndCredits
4.)
5.)

Sharpshooter
1.) Saki302
2.) sly-jay
3.)
4.)
5.)

Marksman First Class
1.) Omnomagon
2.) .sami.
3.) sly-jay
4.)
5.)

Marksman
1.) AUState
2.) Frankgonz
3.) Squidboy
4.)
5.)

Pro-Marksman
1.) armedman25
2.)
3.)
4.)
5.)

Ricky-Ray
02-12-2013, 3:01 PM
Interested.

Bo Cephas
02-13-2013, 6:06 AM
Very Interested

RoundEye
02-26-2013, 5:43 PM
I just received the qualification packages for "Pro-Marksman", "Marksman", and "Marksman 1st Class". Come out to the next LA Chapter Monthly Shoot and earn your qualification today!

Tripeaks69
03-18-2013, 12:07 PM
Im in.. Im NRA Life Member :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RoundEye
03-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Im in.. Im NRA Life Member :)

Awesome! We'll have paper plates, targets, and award packages at the Burbank shoot on 03/29 if you can make it.

pmrsino
03-18-2013, 9:59 PM
I just joined using EPL. Will definitely go for it at the Burbank shoot

TKelley
04-10-2013, 9:52 AM
Any plans to continue this?

RoundEye
04-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Any plans to continue this?

I'm not sure what you mean. The program is in full swing, and we have paper plates, targets, and award packages for participants at every Burbank shoot. The shoots in Burbank are the last Friday of every month with the next one taking place on 4/26 @ 7PM.

xdeslitx
04-10-2013, 12:36 PM
what do they mean by strong side and weak side?
at first i thought it was shooting one handed but

"Stage-1: 5 shots, strong side, 2 hands in 10 seconds."

RoundEye
04-10-2013, 12:43 PM
what do they mean by strong side and weak side?
at first i thought it was shooting one handed but

"Stage-1: 5 shots, strong side, 2 hands in 10 seconds."

It's pretty much what you're thinking in regards to dominant and non-dominant hands except, you can use two hands. Just the string or weak must be primary as indicated.

Thedomsaww
04-10-2013, 12:53 PM
is this offered in the inland empire at all i.e. corona, riverside, ranch etc.?

xdeslitx
04-10-2013, 12:54 PM
It's pretty much what you're thinking in regards to dominant and non-dominant hands except, you can use two hands. Just the string or weak must be primary as indicated.

oh ok...so the weak side has to be shot weak hand but you can use your strong hand as the support hand?

what are you qualified as chad?

RoundEye
04-12-2013, 12:29 PM
what are you qualified as chad?

My patches and rockers are in post #6. :D

xdeslitx
04-12-2013, 12:54 PM
My patches and rockers are in post #6. :D

ohh those are yours hahah i thought it was what you were giving out when someone qualifies

lets say i go and do marksman...would i get all the patches below that...or would i need to qualify on each one?

RoundEye
04-12-2013, 1:42 PM
lets say i go and do marksman...would i get all the patches below that...or would i need to qualify on each one?

Each one is a stepping stone to the next qualification. So you need to shoot all the courses. The requirements are all laid out in the first post.

pmrsino
05-13-2013, 8:50 PM
Uncle from up north gave me a pack of AP-2 targets...a lot smaller than I expected

RoundEye
05-13-2013, 9:37 PM
Uncle from up north gave me a pack of AP-2 targets...a lot smaller than I expected

Yep, that's why they're used at half the distance. Since The Firing Line has a 47ft. range, we opted to purchase and sell the larger AP-1s.

CnCFunFactory
05-23-2013, 10:50 PM
Are there any requirements as to what type of firearm must be used, caliber, sighting system etc?

RoundEye
05-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Are there any requirements as to what type of firearm must be used, caliber, sighting system etc?

There are no caliber or firearm requirements, so .22lr pistol is a-ok, but most have been trying to use their HD guns. As for sights, no optics or ghost rings, but any other standard 3-dot sighting system will work. 2-dot express type sights are also OK.

Tripeaks69
05-26-2013, 12:37 AM
Here's my Qualification, please bring more target (AP-1) on friday.

choo2x
05-26-2013, 4:55 AM
AP-1s will be there. Does this mean no more pizza sauce targets? LOL

Tripeaks69
05-26-2013, 6:22 AM
AP-1s will be there. Does this mean no more pizza sauce targets? LOL

Im done cleaning the pizza plates for target bwahahahahaha...

I am submitting my Marksman First Class Target and will be shooting for Sharpshooter and Expert this time... :)

Tripeaks69
05-26-2013, 6:26 AM
Hopefully I have enough target, ammo and time heheheheh

Tripeaks69
06-01-2013, 1:22 AM
Thanks Choo2x for Guiding me during my Qualifying shoot and Scoring Targets for Markmanship First Class, Sharpshooter and Expert.

I will shoot the Distinguished Expert next Monthly's Shoot in Burbank. I will have to practice left hands/weak shooting hand in LAX shoot..

choo2x
06-01-2013, 4:52 AM
Thanks Choo2x for Guiding me during my Qualifying shoot and Scoring Targets for Markmanship First Class, Sharpshooter and Expert.

I will shoot the Distinguished Expert next Monthly's Shoot in Burbank. I will have to practice left hands/weak shooting hand in LAX shoot..

Art, you're very welcome. Congrats on completing your Sharpshooter and Expert Qualifications this shoot.

Remember, you have to have a member of the NRA witness, time and score your Distinguished Expert Qualification. Chad's usually slammed at the shoot, so maybe you can ask another NRA member to witness your qualification. I will be out of town during the next Burbank shoot. Have fun and good luck.

Shelton

PM720
06-01-2013, 6:14 AM
I just started my Qualification as well. Thanks from me also Choo for the help.

Tripeak69, I am an NRA member and Certified Instructor so I can probably observe at the next one.

Scott

pmrsino
06-01-2013, 1:44 PM
Finished sharpshooter but will probably redo it for a better score.

DebitsAndCredits
06-02-2013, 8:20 PM
Hi Chad. I finished up through Marksman at the shoot last Friday. I look forward to shooting Marksman 1st at the next shoot!

RoundEye
06-02-2013, 9:08 PM
Hi Chad. I finished up through Marksman at the shoot last Friday. I look forward to shooting Marksman 1st at the next shoot!

Awesome, and I'm glad you enjoyed the event. Your rank is now reflected in the roster. :)

RoundEye
06-05-2013, 9:59 AM
A clarification about the rules of the program has been added to the first post.

amowery.am
06-23-2013, 3:00 PM
when is the next shoot and where? I would very much like to give it a try I am an NRA member any info would be appreciated

choo2x
06-24-2013, 12:39 PM
when is the next shoot and where? I would very much like to give it a try I am an NRA member any info would be appreciated

We have been running this at the monthly Calguns shoot at the Firing Line in Burbank. The shoot occurs on the last Friday of the month. June's shoot was a week early due to the City of Los Angeles ammo sales ban of one week before the 4th of July. All are welcome to come shoot with us.

Shelton

Tripeaks69
06-24-2013, 10:13 PM
I just started my Qualification as well. Thanks from me also Choo for the help.

Tripeak69, I am an NRA member and Certified Instructor so I can probably observe at the next one.

Scott

Thanks for the offer, scott.. I missed this month shoot.huhuhuhuh. See you next month.

cky450mm
07-25-2013, 10:49 PM
i had a question, im interested in going for pro-marksman and marksman. but on the nra site before pro marksman it says
basic practical: This rating is achieved by completing the practical exercise conducted during the NRA Basic
Pistol Course.
so does that mean that i have pay 100$ and take a 8 hr test before i do any shooting for the pro/marksman?

cky450mm
07-25-2013, 10:56 PM
and if i do need to take the class do you have any info on when the next one will be? im in the 818 btw. thank

Tripeaks69
07-25-2013, 11:38 PM
i had a question, im interested in going for pro-marksman and marksman. but on the nra site before pro marksman it says
basic practical: This rating is achieved by completing the practical exercise conducted during the NRA Basic
Pistol Course.
so does that mean that i have pay 100$ and take a 8 hr test before i do any shooting for the pro/marksman?

NO, attend the monthly shoot at Firingline every last friday on thr month, we have NRA Certified Instructors, RoundEye and PM720, in LA C3 Chapter, they will signed it and wont charge you.

See you....

cky450mm
07-26-2013, 9:56 AM
cool. im not going to be able to make it tonight, but hopefully ill be able to go to the range and get some practices in before the next meet.

Artema
07-26-2013, 10:07 AM
I will plan to make it to the next one. I've been wanting to do something on the civilian side since I'm topped out in the military certification.

RoundEye
07-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Pistol Course.

You only need to take an NRA Certified Course to earn the Basic Practical Rocker. However, it is not a prerequisite for any of the other certifications.

and if i do need to take the class do you have any info on when the next one will be? im in the 818 btw. thank

Currently, the CGSSA is not offering NRA Certified courses other than the Women on Target (WOT) events taking place at Burro Canyon Shooting Park. Hopefully, this will change in the future, but at the moment only 1:1 hourly instruction is offered.

RoundEye
08-04-2013, 7:59 PM
I just finished Marksman 1st Class, and Sharpshooter this evening. Man those two handed weak side stages feel all kinds of weird. I think I would rather just shoot them weak hand only...

Has everyone else progressing through the ranks? Does anybody need to be added to, or moved up through ranks?

RoundEye
08-15-2013, 12:17 AM
How's everyone progressing through the program? Anyone have interest in any of the others, like Defensive Pistol, or Rifle Qualifications?

pmrsino
08-15-2013, 1:59 AM
There we go! Highly interested to do those two.
Need to practice more one hand (especially weak hand) to finish expert

Tripeaks69
08-16-2013, 1:16 PM
How's everyone progressing through the program? Anyone have interest in any of the others, like Defensive Pistol, or Rifle Qualifications?

I will shoot for Distinguished Expert when i hot the range this month. Hopefully, i would not get called back to back... :(

Then lets do Defensive pistol ;)

PM720
09-03-2013, 5:37 PM
I shot up to Expert Friday night. Now if I can just find someone to observe my DE.... :rolleyes: ;)

Scott :oji:

RoundEye
09-03-2013, 5:47 PM
I shot up to Expert Friday night. Now if I can just find someone to observe my DE.... :rolleyes: ;)

Scott :oji:

That explain why you were nowhere to be found until the pizza showed up. Where were you when Milan and I were trying to hang the banner, or sell poker targets, or ... :beatdeadhorse5:

PM720
09-03-2013, 10:01 PM
That explain why you were nowhere to be found until the pizza showed up. Where were you when Milan and I were trying to hang the banner, or sell poker targets, or ... :beatdeadhorse5:

Um, shooting poker targets! :p ;)

Scott

choo2x
09-04-2013, 2:12 PM

I'm shooting Rimfire Rifle with the Goddaughter and her sisters. So far up to Sharpshooter and half way through Expert.

saki302
09-04-2013, 4:16 PM
Put me down for finishing up 'sharpshooter' :D

I agree- left hand is all kinds of weird. That's probably the most rounds I've fired left handed. Ever.

I may have to try for Expert next time :)

-Dave

DebitsAndCredits
09-04-2013, 9:02 PM
Finished SharpShooter at the Burbank shoot on the 30th. I look forward to Expert. Thanks RoundEye!

RoundEye
09-23-2013, 12:15 PM
Two more Distinguished Experts in the house!

I met up with Scott (PM720) yesterday, and we both completed DE for the pistol series.

W00t! :party: W00t!

:King:

Who's next?

PM720
09-23-2013, 2:39 PM
:oji::taz:

Scott

choo2x
09-24-2013, 6:52 AM
Nice Job, Guys!!! Congrats! :cool: :cheers2: :clap:

Ricky-Ray
09-24-2013, 7:42 AM
Two more Distinguished Experts in the house!

I met up with Scott (PM720) yesterday, and we both completed DE for the pistol series.

W00t! :party: W00t!

:King:

Who's next?

Lies without pics...

j/k

Congrat's to the both of you.

Artema
09-24-2013, 8:25 AM
I did expert about a month ago. I'm waiting for some of the stuff to come in stock, but I just finished distinguished for pistol! Working on rifle.

DebitsAndCredits
10-04-2013, 8:38 PM
Finished Expert at the September shoot in Burbank! It's time to go for the final qualification!

pmrsino
10-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Any willing witness for DE? Gonna do 1 string at LAX

RoundEye
10-08-2013, 1:27 AM
Any willing witness for DE? Gonna do 1 string at LAX

If nobody else will, I'll watch it for you.

RoundEye
01-17-2014, 6:21 PM
Congratulations Chickshooter for completing your Distinguished Expert qualification!

brian5271
01-17-2014, 10:27 PM
I am very interested in this. Are these still happening the last Friday of every month? What do I need to do to participate?

choo2x
01-19-2014, 6:44 AM
I am very interested in this. Are these still happening the last Friday of every month? What do I need to do to participate?

Come to the Firing Line, bring PPE (eyes and ears), pistol, ammo and come hang out. You do not have to shoot the qualifications at Burbank, but the range fee is reasonable ($10.00) and there's a pizza break @ 8:30 pm.

The first two qualification stages are shot on paper plates and the rest are shot on AP-1 targets. Chad has both, or you can bring your own.

If you need help or have any questions, there are plenty of us available to assist.

choo2x
01-19-2014, 6:49 AM
I forgot the best part. When you have completed all of the qualification levels, you can hang this on your wall (you have to pay for the mounting and framing yourself, sorry):

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=296753&stc=1&d=1390146448

Ricky-Ray
01-19-2014, 9:02 AM
I forgot the best part. When you have completed all of the qualification levels, you can hang this on your wall (you have to pay for the mounting and framing yourself, sorry):

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=296753&stc=1&d=1390146448

Pretty cool display. If you don't mind me asking how much was mounting and framing?

RoundEye
01-19-2014, 9:18 AM
Pretty cool display. If you don't mind me asking how much was mounting and framing?

If you have to ask, you probably cannot afford it...

Ricky-Ray
01-19-2014, 9:48 AM

Hey... I've got some couches I can dig for spare change.. :)

choo2x
01-19-2014, 1:33 PM

Thanks.

Frame
Premium Mats (2)
Museum Glass
Preservation Kit and Fitting

The total was just over $175.00.

Chad, you knew the answer, you could have given it to him.

Hey... I've got some couches I can dig for spare change.. :)

You'll need a few couches. :D

RoundEye
01-19-2014, 2:17 PM
The total was just over $175.00.

And there went the demand for the program... :(

choo2x
01-19-2014, 2:43 PM
And there went the demand for the program... :(

They don't have to get a big frame using museum glass, premium mats and a preservation kit and fitting (although it does look nice up on the wall). A 8 1/2" x 11" frame from the 99 cents store will frame the certificate nicely. Besides, you and I both agree that the coolest part of the Distinguished Expert package is this:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=296852&stc=1&d=1390174977

Artema
01-19-2014, 3:21 PM
I've just got this hanging up at work. Nothing as fancy as the framed thing.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=296863&stc=1&d=1390177266

meyerlemony
01-20-2014, 2:29 PM
Just to be sure I understand this correctly - I can order the materials and have someone at the range witness for me? I'd be using an NRA certified RO.

choo2x
01-20-2014, 3:37 PM
Just to be sure I understand this correctly - I can order the materials and have someone at the range witness for me? I'd be using an NRA certified RO.

You only need a witness (who's a member of the NRA) for the Distinguished Expert qualification. All other qualification levels do not require a witness.

meyerlemony
01-30-2014, 8:07 AM
Thanks! Count me in to try for something at the Friday Firing Line Shoot this week. Let's see what I've learned :)

meyerlemony
03-26-2014, 5:57 PM
Shotlady and I worked our way all the way up through Expert over the past few weeks (ok, months!) up at Oak Tree, so now we just have to do the witnessed Distinguished Expert one. Maybe I'll take a swing at it this Friday...thank goodness I reshot everything with 9mm and then with .22. The .45 was getting expensive!

choo2x
03-26-2014, 9:47 PM
Shotlady and I worked our way all the way up through Expert over the past few weeks (ok, months!) up at Oak Tree, so now we just have to do the witnessed Distinguished Expert one. Maybe I'll take a swing at it this Friday...thank goodness I reshot everything with 9mm and then with .22. The .45 was getting expensive!

Congrats on Expert. Have fun and good luck shooting Distinguished Expert.

walkersmith12338
04-16-2014, 2:33 PM
My 14 year old daughters and I are interested in participating. Where? When? I think we will make the Insight shooting tonight 4-16-14.

RoundEye
04-16-2014, 4:30 PM
My 14 year old daughters and I are interested in participating. Where? When? I think we will make the Insight shooting tonight 4-16-14.

Hi Walter,

That's awesome. The shoot at Insight this week is the first one at that location and led by Jeremy, so they may not have everything to get you started. However, the first 2 courses are on 8" paper plates which can be picked up at your local store.

Download the qualification information from the main thread in the LA Chapter forum, print it, and bring it with you to the range. The last page is a score sheet for you to keep track of your progress.

Good luck!

EatsEverything
07-10-2014, 2:59 PM
Hang on, the first two courses are literally paper plates, like the kind you get at Ralph's next to the red SOLO cups?

I'm totally going to get started on this with this at my next monthly meet. Can I use Spongebob (http://www.amazon.com/Unique-68871A-SpongeBob-Plates-8ct/dp/B00915SA0C/) plates?

calibased
07-12-2014, 2:24 PM
Where do I go to participate? This sounds fun

PM720
07-12-2014, 6:32 PM

Where are you located? I think this is still going on at the Burbank and LAX monthly shoots. Not sure about the others.

Scott

Dannytheman
07-13-2014, 6:47 AM

July 25th at The Firing Line in Burbank after 7:00 PM. Seems to be a hit, we will get this restarted for all the new folks!!

I am always happy to help!! If I can't, I know who can.

calibased
07-22-2014, 3:47 PM
July 25th at The Firing Line in Burbank after 7:00 PM. Seems to be a hit, we will get this restarted for all the new folks!!

I am always happy to help!! If I can't, I know who can.

Awesome! I'll be attending. Thanks

Frankgonz
07-22-2014, 7:24 PM
Two things...
Firstly, I wanted to update my status - I have completed the Marksman 1st Class Course of Fire.
And, I was wondering if we will have available - for purchase of course - some more AP-1 target packs?
Thanks

.sam.
07-22-2014, 10:55 PM
I would like to start up this Friday as well :).

eLeL
07-24-2014, 12:00 AM
I finished my Distinguished Expert for 9mm pistol in early June and received my official packet yesterday. The turn around time was about 4 weeks which was better than expected.

Quick question for everyone who is pursuing the DE ranking in Defensive Pistol I/II. How do you do the shooting drills that require movement and shooting from cover at the range?

Dannytheman
07-24-2014, 5:56 AM
Good New, Bad News.....

Burbank will be starting this program in earnest in August. I found out some great info but could not move fast enough to rock and roll it this week. Mainly because I travel for my job.

Also, I misspoke when I said we could qualify rifle in Burbank. Not long enough in distance there.

SOOOOOOOOOO, forgive me, but August Burbank will be busy with paper work, maybe some patches and paraphernalia related to the program. Pistols only.

choo2x
07-24-2014, 9:00 AM
I finished my Distinguished Expert for 9mm pistol in early June and received my official packet yesterday. The turn around time was about 4 weeks which was better than expected.

Quick question for everyone who is pursuing the DE ranking in Defensive Pistol I/II. How do you do the shooting drills that require movement and shooting from cover at the range?

You can shoot DPI up to sharpshooter at an indoor range like Burbank, but past that and including DPII, you'll have to complete those ratings at an outdoor range that allows movement and drawing from a holster.

Artema
07-24-2014, 9:06 AM
You can shoot DPI up to sharpshooter at an indoor range like Burbank, but past that and including DPII, you'll have to complete those ratings at an outdoor range that allows movement and drawing from a holster.

I am so going to miss the Vandenberg AFB Rod & Gun Club. I haven't yet gone to the range here, but I'm not looking forward to all these "rules" like that. I've actually done shooting at a brisk pace, from a holster, whatever. Ahh, maybe I'll just go to the mountain and shoot.

EatsEverything
07-30-2014, 12:18 AM
Burbank will be starting this program in earnest in August.

I'm in!

If you're starting from nothing, what's the best way to prep for it?

Should I still get the Spongebob plates?

Chaos47
07-30-2014, 1:17 AM
I'm in!

If you're starting from nothing, what's the best way to prep for it?

Should I still get the Spongebob plates?

Read and understand the stages before you start them.
Practice off handed (2 hand) and one handed (each side)

The IE chapter has a good break down of all the ranks requirements and how to fill out the score sheet:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=835381

EatsEverything
08-05-2014, 12:37 AM
My I understanding of the rules is you have to shoot the same caliber all the way through. Is that correct?

Ricky-Ray
08-05-2014, 9:11 AM
My I understanding of the rules is you have to shoot the same caliber all the way through. Is that correct?

Yes.

RoundEye
08-05-2014, 10:07 AM

The same caliber and type (auto loader or revolver). If your gun breaks you can swap in another that is the same caliber and type.

EatsEverything
08-05-2014, 11:26 AM
For the sake of ammo cost, then, it may behoove me to get a .22LR? I was going to get one eventually, but it sounds like I may want to do it sooner rather than later.

Or just proceed with the 9mm for now and reshoot the early stages in .22LR later.

TackyDriver
08-07-2014, 5:44 PM
Would it be OK to go from ProMarksman to as far as I can qualify once with a semiauto and then start over and do it again with a revolver?

valdier
08-12-2014, 1:47 PM
I'm definitely interested... can I ask where and when? I seem to have missed that, or where to find the details at least.

If I am looking to become a certified instructor, does this cover the qualifications for marksmanship required for the instructor needs?

RoundEye
08-12-2014, 2:47 PM
Would it be OK to go from ProMarksman to as far as I can qualify once with a semiauto and then start over and do it again with a revolver?

Yes, you can go through the courses as much as you want for fun, but the awards are for the pistol, rifle, self defense disciplines and are not distinguished by action or ammunition type.

With that said there were many whop went through it with a rimfire, and then went through it again with the HD caliber\gun just to prove they could.

EatsEverything
09-02-2014, 9:05 PM
Pro-Marksman and Marksman done in one night! Can't wait for next month to roll around to keep marching up that ladder.

Dannytheman
09-02-2014, 9:39 PM
Pro-Marksman and Marksman done in one night! Can't wait for next month to roll around to keep marching up that ladder.

I can't wait to see you!!
Off to Sharpshooter!!

:cool2:

EatsEverything
09-28-2014, 8:46 PM
This has gotten so popular, Dannytheman got cleared out of targets at the last shoot. A good problem to have!

Bring moar next time. I'm going for Sharpshooter! ;)

Dannytheman
09-29-2014, 5:27 AM
This has gotten so popular, Dannytheman got cleared out of targets at the last shoot. A good problem to have!

Bring moar next time. I'm going for Sharpshooter! ;)

Already loaded and ready to go!! From the size of the groupings I saw, you got this!! :D

Wlee
10-11-2014, 5:43 PM
Ill be going for that Expert packet Danny :) Managed to get 1 course in with the last two targets you had last time, Ill finish off the other 4 on the 24th.

EatsEverything
10-11-2014, 8:41 PM
I'm going for Sharpshooter next. Don't forget to bring a Marksman First Class packet for me!

And targets. More targets.

Wlee
10-24-2014, 7:55 PM
Updated status: Expert

sly-jay
11-20-2014, 3:33 AM
I'm confused by the wording for the levels Marksman First Class and above. It says the stages "have to be completed in one session" but not "on the same day"? What defines a "session" ? The part in bold seems contradictory to me. Can someone explain this please? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Marksman First Class
- Position: Standing, two hands with strong and week side stages.
(1.) Strong Side - Five targets with 10 shots each in 6 minutes.
(2.) Weak Side - Five targets with 10 shots each in 6 minutes.
- Course of Fire & Rating Requirement: Shoot 10 targets, 5 with a score of 46 or better, and 5 with a score of 56 or better. The ten targets do not have to be fired in succession or on the same day. So you cannot shoot all strong side one one day, and all week side on another.

Dannytheman
11-20-2014, 5:49 AM
I'm confused by the wording for the levels Marksman First Class and above. It says the stages "have to be completed in one session" but not "on the same day"? What defines a "session" ? The part in bold seems contradictory to me. Can someone explain this please? Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Basically, the key here is NOT to shoot all left handed one day, and all right handed on another. But you can do a quarter or half right handed and quarter to half left handed and then finish on a following day.

You can do it!!!

Dannytheman
11-20-2014, 5:51 AM
Updated status: Expert

Congrats!!!!!

http://succinctsocialmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/expert-300x300.jpg

sly-jay
11-21-2014, 12:07 AM
Congrats wlee!

Thanks dannytheman!

Left-handed is no problem. Oh wait ... I'm left-handed :)

PM720
11-21-2014, 6:59 AM
Congrats wlee!

Thanks dannytheman!

Left-handed is no problem. Oh wait ... I'm left-handed :)

I think he meant weak/strong hand. Unfortunately for me BOTH hands are weak! :oji:

Scott

RoundEye
11-21-2014, 8:23 AM
Sorry for the lack of participation in this thread. I have updated the standings at post #2 (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=10501701&postcount=2).

I'm definitely interested... can I ask where and when? I seem to have missed that, or where to find the details at least.

If I am looking to become a certified instructor, does this cover the qualifications for marksmanship required for the instructor needs?

The most active monthly shoots that run the program are Ventura Country at Island View, San Fernando Valley at The Firing Line in Burbank, and Orange County at On Target.

Wlee
11-21-2014, 9:22 PM
Update, Distinguished Expert in .45, witnessed by Danny and Milan.

PM720
11-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Update, Distinguished Expert in .45, witnessed by Danny and Milan.

Well done and congratulations!

Scott

sly-jay
11-22-2014, 12:42 AM
Sorry Roundeye I know you just updated but now there are a few more from Burbank: .sami. and I both did Marksman 1st Class, and wlee did Distinguished Expert, as noted above. I think there was one more but I don't know everyone's usernames.

Wlee
11-22-2014, 8:59 AM
Well done and congratulations!

Scott

Thanks Scott!

Milan2112
11-23-2014, 7:13 AM
I finally got around to shooting Distinguished Expert this Friday with a 9mm, witnessed by Patricia. All 200's and one 198! Better than I did in practice using SIRT and the LASR scoring program!

Dannytheman
11-23-2014, 11:04 AM
I finally got around to shooting Distinguished Expert this Friday with a 9mm, witnessed by Patricia. All 200's and one 198! Better than I did in practice using SIRT and the LASR scoring program!

Congrats to Milan and Walter! They both kicked some butt!! I sent an E Mail to Claudia who runs the program in Fairfax, seeing what info we need to supply, and if I can order the packet from her.

http://reverandandys.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/proud_of_u.jpeg

RoundEye
11-24-2014, 7:26 AM
Sorry Roundeye I know you just updated but now there are a few more from Burbank: .sami. and I both did Marksman 1st Class, and wlee did Distinguished Expert, as noted above. I think there was one more but I don't know everyone's usernames.

Don't be sorry, it's a great accomplishment for all those involved. :D

The standings have been updated. If anyone is not listed, either send me a PM, or post in this thread and will get you added.

EatsEverything
03-19-2015, 12:08 PM
Oh, wow, this thread got stale. Here's hoping it comes back from the dead.

I don't know about the other locations, but the SFV is still making progress on the Winchester/NRA quals. At our last meeting we had some shooters starting on plates.

I'm going for Distinguished Expert next Friday. Wish me bullseyes!

Dannytheman
03-19-2015, 8:31 PM
Oh, wow, this thread got stale. Here's hoping it comes back from the dead.

I don't know about the other locations, but the SFV is still making progress on the Winchester/NRA quals. At our last meeting we had some shooters starting on plates.

I'm going for Distinguished Expert next Friday. Wish me bullseyes!

Happy Bullseyes!!

EatsEverything
03-28-2015, 11:17 AM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=401466&stc=1&d=1427570070

Dannytheman
03-28-2015, 12:54 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=401466&stc=1&d=1427570070

Very HUGE congratulations!!! Bet you are still smiling!!!

PM720
03-28-2015, 6:51 PM
Yes, congratulations and welcome to the DE club! :cheers2:

Scott

EatsEverything
03-31-2015, 12:17 AM
Thanks, guys!

BTW, the link to the form in the booklet doesn't work. However, a little sleuthing got me the actual link:

Distinguished Expert Recognition Report (http://mqp.nra.org/documents/pdf/education/training/marksmanship/de_rec_form.pdf)

I found it here: Winchester/NRA Marksmanship Qualification Program (http://mqp.nra.org/)

fknauss
07-23-2015, 10:44 PM
I'm coming up on the stages that have shorter time limits. What is the preferred method for timing those? I assume for DE, the observer does the timing, but for the lower stages it's not something easily done just by looking at a watch...

EatsEverything
07-23-2015, 11:16 PM
If want and have a friend to do it, you can do that.

Personally, I just set up my smartphone on the stopwatch and would give it a tap to start it right before I started shooting. The time limits are quite generous.

mrvaudo
07-27-2016, 7:35 PM
For the rimfire shooters what guns do people usually use? I have a 22, but not target style

EatsEverything
07-27-2016, 7:44 PM
I started with a Walther P22 and ended with a Browning Buckmark Hunter. Somewhere in the middle, I may have done a round with a 1911 22LR conversion and/or a CZ Kadet. I was borrowing 22LR pistols for a while until I got the Buckmark.

rodralig
08-17-2016, 6:16 PM
This looks interesting...

I've read the booklet from the NRA, but still confused -

This is based on the HONOR system, except for the Distinguished Expert, right?
The other rankings are SELF-administered, right? (Though I prefer to have some witnesses)
Who signs the certificates, etc.?
I see from 2013 posts that there were qualification events in the monthly meet. Are we still having that? (BTW, I'm new to firearms and CalGuns)

Thanks,

EatsEverything
08-17-2016, 7:37 PM
It's on the honour system up until Distinguished Expert. At DE, you need an NRA member in good standing to observe.

The other levels are self-administered. Some are easy enough to do that you can do multiples in one day. Others are easier if you have someone there to hold the stopwatch, but honestly, it's easy enough to do if you do it yourself with your smartphone on the bench.

In my case, I did it at a CGSSA meetup, so the organizer signed mine.

Check with the organizer of the meet(s) nearest you and see if they're doing them. I know the SFV one does and one of the OC ones does them as well.

rodralig
08-18-2016, 6:26 AM
Thanks!!! For the DE, maybe I can get into some of the events, and have a member witness...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk