PDA

View Full Version : Obama says Hunters, Sports Enthusiasts...

PhillyGunner
01-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Just heard a brief quote from President Obama on a top of the hour news update.

My memory is poor and I can't seem to find the actual bite anywhere on the website of the program that played it, so I will paraphrase for now and quote when I find it.

'... don't need these rifles and magazine clips for hunters, sports enthusiasts... (Long Pause) responsible gun owners.'

He can't bring himself to call us Self Defense Proponents or Second Amendment Supporters, and by default is stating that only hunters and sports enthusiasts need to be considered responsible gun owners.

Someone needs to hand our duly elected Constitutional Law teacher in Chief a copy of DC vs. Heller.

WE ARE THE RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNERS and the PROTECTED CLASS!

starsnuffer
01-28-2013, 12:26 PM
First of all, I want to know when 3gun stopped being a sport.

Second, you're absolutely right.

-W

Untamed1972
01-28-2013, 12:29 PM
The 2A IS NOT ABOUT HUNTING AND SPORT SHOOTING!

PhillyGunner
Found it. Huffington Post.

"That means passing serious laws that restrict the access and availability of assault weapons and magazine clips that aren't necessary for hunters and sportsmen and those responsible gun owners who are out there. It means that we are serious about universal background checks," he said.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/28/obama-biden-guns_n_2567024.html

Untamed1972
First of all, I want to know when 3gun stopped being a sport.

Second, you're absolutely right.

-W

What is a "legitimate sport" will be determined for you, please stand by.

Untamed1972
01-28-2013, 12:30 PM

"That means passing serious laws that restrict the access and availability of assault weapons and magazine clips that aren't necessary for hunters and sportsmen and those responsible gun owners who are out there. It means that we are serious about universal background checks," he said.

It's not "The Bill of Needs" Mr. President.

Kingofthehill
01-28-2013, 12:32 PM
I love how they say its not for hunters....

There is a show ON the sportsman channel called "Modern Rifle Adventures" where the only gun used for hunting is the Ar-15.

They are preying on the not informed out there and they are going to win.

PhillyGunner
01-28-2013, 12:39 PM
The 2A IS NOT ABOUT HUNTING AND SPORT SHOOTING!

That's why I posted this. He taught Constitutional Law, was President of the Harvard Law Review, etc., etc. etc.

He MUST know what DC vs. Heller holds.

His only chance is to put enough 'I'm 2A, Hunters, Olympic Pistol and Bi-Athletes are responsible gun owners' rhetoric out there that somehow it gets through Congress and then get some of his folks on the SCOTUS.

How do WE change what the rest of the people are hearing... especially with Immigration Reform and Debt Ceiling AGAIN, and all the other things that the Congress must negotiate in the nest few months.

Lugiahua
So IPSC, IDPA, 3-Guns are not sports?

PoofNoEyebrows
I think that it is a very specific tactic they are using by continually alluding to the 2nd as meaning "hunting and sport". We see this exact thing with several other volatile topics such as immigration. Within the span of a year they were able to change main stream American thinking from illegal aliens to "undocumented workers" and able to coin such catchy phrases as "comprehensive immigration reform". I believe this is the new norm in both US politics as well as our media.

Untamed1972
01-28-2013, 12:44 PM

Didn't the DiFi proposed AW ban specially say that just because a gun may be used in competition didn't qualify it as having a sporting purpose?

So to answer your question......from their perspective....NO...they aren't.

Lugiahua
01-28-2013, 1:05 PM
Didn't the DiFi proposed AW ban specially say that just because a gun may be used in competition didn't qualify it as having a sporting purpose?

So to answer your question......from their perspective....NO...they aren't.

I am certain they will claim that Fencing and Kendo are not sports either when pushing a knife ban. :facepalm:

and funny thing is, shooting IPSC style competition is a legitimate reason to own AR-15 in most European countries like Germany or Norway.

woodsman
01-28-2013, 1:08 PM
They are changing the argument by changing the language.

I have lost count the number of times I have had to correct both non-gun owners as well as gun owners.

Purpose of 2A - The 2A has nothing to do with hunting.

Assault Weapon - Anything can be termed an assault weapon when it has been used to kill.

Magazines - A 15rnd magazine for a glock 22 is NOT a hicap mag. It is the standard mag capacity the tool was designed to use. - the 30rnd sticks are hi caps.

Protected vs given right/privilege - 2A is a protection of a right, a civil right. Not the granting of a privilege.

The list goes on....

EL_NinO619
01-28-2013, 1:14 PM
Ya I am not a fan of Obumer to say the least.. I guess you are only a "responsible" gun owner if you hand over your rights to Liberals. F U BHO

TempleKnight
01-28-2013, 1:24 PM

Well if you watch me you would think it was like the Special Olympics, but it's still a sport.

SgtDinosaur
01-28-2013, 3:48 PM
I don't hunt, and I don't shoot for sport. I guess the ban is directed at me. Too bad for him the 2A doesn't say anything about hunting and sport. (I have nothing against hunting and shooting sports BTW.)

Rickrock1
01-28-2013, 3:55 PM
This King Clown is going straight for the juggler vain period and he and his puppeters has a specific agenda. For all the doubters Stand By !!

EXTREMEOPS1
01-28-2013, 3:59 PM
Just wait for the executive order to handover your scary black rifles and high cap magazines....that's coming soon

Capybara
01-28-2013, 4:14 PM
Just wait for the executive order to handover your scary black rifles and high cap magazines....that's coming soon

It won't be an EO, that can't happen. It can happen from Dear Leader's new SCOTUS appointees "re-evaluating" Heller and McDonald or creating a new ruling or judgement.

PhillyGunner
01-28-2013, 4:37 PM
That's why we can't let them have law to test it with.

Cypriss32
01-28-2013, 4:37 PM
It won't be an EO, that can't happen. It can happen from Dear Leader's new SCOTUS appointees "re-evaluating" Heller and McDonald or creating a new ruling or judgement.

And they the government really goes by the constituiton..... Ya okay.

wjc
01-28-2013, 10:17 PM
His lips were moving....he's lying.

CDFingers
01-29-2013, 6:35 AM
I doubt we'll see a magazine law at the Fed level.

But when we go to the range or are out in public, be that Responsible Gun Owner. No need to scare anyone.

CDFingers

SanPedroShooter
01-29-2013, 6:46 AM
I doubt we'll see a magazine law at the Fed level.

But when we go to the range or are out in public, be that Responsible Gun Owner. No need to scare anyone.

CDFingers

We can agree on that at least.

I've never hunted a day in my life. As far as being a 'sportsman'? Well, not how he uses the phrase.

His point seems utterly irrelevant to the purpose of the Second Amendment.

CDFingers
01-29-2013, 6:51 AM
To me, punching paper is a sport.

I'm bad at clays, so that part of our sport needs more attention by me.

CDFingers

therealnickb
01-29-2013, 7:05 AM
To me, punching paper is a sport.

I'm bad at clays, so that part of our sport needs more attention by me.

CDFingers

Neither of which have anything to do with 2A and the attack there of.

pHredd9mm
01-29-2013, 7:08 AM
Divide and Conquer has worked in the past which resulted in "non sporting" firearms being banned.

sl0re10
01-29-2013, 7:15 AM

That's why I support selling these weapons to Mexican drug gangs. /Obama off

sl0re10
01-29-2013, 7:18 AM
That's why I posted this. He taught Constitutional Law, was President of the Harvard Law Review, etc., etc. etc.

His only chance is to put enough 'I'm 2A, Hunters, Olympic Pistol and Bi-Athletes are responsible gun owners' rhetoric out there that somehow it gets through Congress and then get some of his folks on the SCOTUS.

How do WE change what the rest of the people are hearing... especially with Immigration Reform and Debt Ceiling AGAIN, and all the other things that the Congress must negotiate in the nest few months.

I think he just lectured (re: not a professor). Some of his lectures were recorded and I listened to one. His talk was totally fact free / just opinion... and it was progressive boilerplate...

mrdd
01-29-2013, 7:26 AM
"and those responsible gun owners who are out there."

He makes it sound like we are hiding somewhere. Lest he forgot that there are 100 million or so of us. We are everywhere.

mag360
01-29-2013, 7:43 AM
Atf didnt consider 3 gun a sport because less than 100, 000 people do it compared to millions of hunters which is why they were going to attempt the saiga 12 ban on sporting purposes clause. Til the rehberg ammdnt saved it.

tcrpe
01-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Proof obama's a gun enthusiast:

http://m.weeklystandard.com/blogs/mag-pushes-fake-picture-obama-skeet-shooting_698730.html

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc23/tcrpe/0C1B4F80-B187-478B-AA24-07D1DA84BB1B-2841-000005E3BCCAF3AF.jpg

Gotta admire that style, that form!

wjc
01-29-2013, 11:51 PM
Proof obama's a gun enthusiast:

http://m.weeklystandard.com/blogs/mag-pushes-fake-picture-obama-skeet-shooting_698730.html

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc23/tcrpe/0C1B4F80-B187-478B-AA24-07D1DA84BB1B-2841-000005E3BCCAF3AF.jpg

Gotta admire that style, that form!

Photoshopped

dc2integra
01-30-2013, 1:09 AM
Osama is trying to sink this country oh sorry I mean obama.

rootuser
01-30-2013, 1:46 AM

Here is where we need to be careful we don't trip ourselves:

1. He MUST know what DC vs. Heller holds. -- Of course he does, the right of the government to regulate weapons. He knows this. This is HOW they are coming after you. Not to take your guns, but to regulate them. To quote the Heller decision "Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues."

There ya go, the states are going to think they have the rights to regulate for the common good of their state. And California just sits where it was 10 years ago.

Immigration Reform will go through probably mostly quietly, and the Debt Ceiling is thanks to our Republican friends who don't want to pay our debts more than 3 months at a time it seems. Then we'll turn back to guns.

10K2HVN
01-30-2013, 2:57 AM
It's not "The Bill of Needs" Mr. President.
Can we make a "Bill of Needs" to share with the President

wild_weasel
01-30-2013, 4:43 AM
My thoughts on the Second Amendment were summed up over a hundred years ago and are as true now as then, "God created Heaven and Earth but Samuel Colt made all Men equal" That is why the Second Amendment was added, not to allow sportsman to hunt but to put all men in equal standing.

Cheers,

seabee1
01-30-2013, 4:54 AM
What is a "legitimate sport" will be determined for you, please stand by.

And responsible gun owners will register and submit to the Reich.

Ford8N
01-30-2013, 5:38 AM
The ATF decides what is a "sporting purpose". Read the 1968 Gun Control Act. You didn't elect these people BTW.

uhlan1
01-30-2013, 6:42 AM
It's a classic divide and conquer tactic. Trying to split off the skeet, Ducks Unlimited and hunting crowd and will be somewhat successful (phew, I'm safe). Buy off the LE unions by creating a special class of gun owners. California got the Cowboy Action crowd to turn and support the roster by exempting them. Same thing here. And unfortunately, because people act in their own self interests, it works.
They'll just come for them later, make no mistake.

Drawman
01-30-2013, 6:51 AM
Well if you watch me you would think it was like the Special Olympics, but it's still a sport.

^^^^this, me too!! LOL :D