PDA

View Full Version : recommendations for rifle cleaning rods

APV
01-16-2013, 9:08 AM
What are pros and cons different types of cleaning rods for rifles and shotguns? There are different types available on the marker (steel, brass, aluminium, probably some plastic, etc.). I always used a steel rod but after looking at variety of cleaning kits I began to doubt myself.

LCU1670
01-16-2013, 9:19 AM
Fiber/plastic from the breech, want to protect barrel crown.

APV
01-16-2013, 5:28 PM
Thanks. That was my guess. I bought a kit with a brass cleaning rod for my new rifle. The old one was fine with a steel one.

thomashoward
01-16-2013, 5:31 PM
Dewey, coated one piece, ball bearing handle
get a rod guide from Sinclair and ALWAYS clean from the breech

gunboat
01-16-2013, 5:41 PM
I prefer steel one piece -- Made mine from 3' drill rod --
drill and tap end for jags -- thread other end for a ball -
I have nothing against swivel end, just don't feel it necessary.

APV
01-17-2013, 8:43 AM
Dewey, coated one piece, ball bearing handle
get a rod guide from Sinclair and ALWAYS clean from the breech

thanks, a coated one peace rod looks like a good idea. I checked Sinclair and J Dewey websites. They have .308 cleaning rods. I think it should work for my 7.62x39 rifles.

Whiterabbit
01-17-2013, 8:54 AM
I'm told fiberglass will wear on a crown

I'm told aluminum will wear on a crown

I know steel will.

crown protectors are helpful.

I've also started making my own. brass rod, then face and D&T. add crown protector, hold in place with o-rings. Add jags. I don't need a ball on the opposite end, but if my hands ever get arthritic I'm sure I'll add it.

You are from the bay area, if you want to come over and make your own you are welcome to. Just buy some brass stock at metals super market, we can bang out a rod in an evening. I don't know if you can get crown protectors at any local gun shop, but they are plentiful in the muzzleloader community, I bought two there and drilled to the right size.

Gunsmith Dan
01-17-2013, 9:54 AM
Dewey coated one piece

Dewey muzzle guide to protect crown
Breech end for bolt action, break open shotguns and semi autos that allow it (ar 15). The rest you have no choice but to clean from the muzzle end and DON'T try pushing a rod through the ejection port to clean a barrel.

(fyi you can also get those thick rubber glove like for washing dishes cut off the pinky finger off. Cut a hole to tightly fit over the cleaning rod but to small for the attachment to go through. Push the rod in and slide the rubber finger over the barrel and crown so that every in stroke the rubber streches over the crown to protect it.)

ott1
01-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Tipton carbon fiber rods.

wpage
01-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Go easy when you clean her...

APV
01-27-2013, 9:46 AM
I'm told fiberglass will wear on a crown

You are from the bay area, if you want to come over and make your own you are welcome to. Just buy some brass stock at metals super market, we can bang out a rod in an evening. I don't know if you can get crown protectors at any local gun shop, but they are plentiful in the muzzleloader community, I bought two there and drilled to the right size.

Thank you for the offer. I bought the whole cleaning kit that seems to fit all my three rifles.