PDA

View Full Version : Building my first AR And Need A Lot of Help!

Cavinous
01-08-2013, 7:50 PM
So I have 3 AR15 5.56 lower receivers. 2 Andersons and 1 Stagg. I have known I wanted an AR for a while and this nonsense with the laws was definitely the nudge I needed. So I am asking you all for help. I will post pictures as I receive the items but I definitely want quality rifles. The first of three will be my tactical/home defense rifle. Then I want to build a long range rifle. Then we will see about the 3rd. Probably another long range rifle. So what is my next step? What part should I get next for my rifle? Please help. I am not saying money is no problem but I definitley want to do this right. So now should I work on getting BCGs or something else? Also is there a difference on witch BCG I should get?

thebuck007
01-09-2013, 10:17 PM
Congrats on getting ready to build them! Are the receivers stripped (no trigger parts)? When I started to build mine I started with the Lower parts kit and basically built it from bottom up. I built lower first and then built upper. There are lots of members with tons of knowledge that will chime in and help ya out. I have built a couple that have worked flawlessly but I'm not by any means a pro and still learn new things myself.

dchang0
01-09-2013, 11:37 PM
Good for you--welcome to the black rifle movement.

Check out the AR15 DIY build guides in the library section of ar15.com. You can write down a shopping list based on the parts in the photos that you don't have yet.

Right now, finding all the parts to complete an AR is pretty tough. It may be easier for you to buy a complete upper including BCG (even though those are also sold out nearly everywhere) than try to source all the small parts yourself. I say that because you could scrounge together most of the small parts from different sources and then get stuck because you can't find X or Y part anywhere. Better not take that chance and try to grab a complete upper and as near a complete lower parts kit as you can.

To answer your question about BCGs, I'm a huge fan of the Young Mfg Super Light Carrier. Expensive but worth every penny. I run them in all my ARs now. Very light recoil impulse but still supports a forward assist. The hard chrome makes them easy to clean too, although they DO seem to chew up the insides of the upper receivers a bit faster than standard milspec BCGs. No worries, the benefits outweigh the costs; uppers don't stay pristine forever if you actually shoot your ARs.

dredgeman
01-10-2013, 7:37 AM
JD has a ten dollar CD that is great help.