PDA

View Full Version : Pro 2A Media Campaign in California?

Blake760
01-08-2013, 5:39 PM
Does anyone know of a pro 2A organization that would use the contributions to run commercials (or other mass media) in California to counter our opposition and their upcoming assembly bills? I refuse to give any more money to groups (NRA) I feel have given up on California.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ac00f30c-59ac-11e2-ae03-00144feab49a.html#ixzz2HRSSuWWI

"In an interview with ABC that aired on Tuesday, Ms Giffords was shown walking with difficulty and continuing to have difficulty speaking.

Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a group led by New York’s Michael Bloomberg, launched a new advertising campaign to coincide with Ms Giffords’ efforts.

The 30-second ad showed Roxanna Green, whose nine-year-old daughter Christina was killed in the Tucson shooting, asking: “I have one question for our political leaders. When will you find the courage to stand up to the gun lobby? Whose child has to die next?”

berto
01-08-2013, 5:42 PM
How much you got?

Hogstir
01-08-2013, 5:53 PM
Maybe the NRA should run some ads.

Blake760
01-08-2013, 5:54 PM
Only what the wife lets me keep or I find in the couch :facepalm:.

bwiese
01-08-2013, 5:57 PM
Cost is not worth it.

And if it were really needed we'd have to spend ~$100 million per year or worse. [Compare cost to liquor advertising etc.]

This bad idea comes from the same uninformed place where people wanting to put the 2A as a CA ballot initiative.

tcrpe
01-08-2013, 6:13 PM
A ballot initiative? Heaven help us!

Blake760
01-08-2013, 6:21 PM
[QUOTE=bwiese;10151406]Cost is not worth it.

And if it were really needed we'd have to spend ~$100 million per year or worse. [Compare cost to liquor advertising etc.]
QUOTE]

I understand advertising is expensive. But I also know we all contribute a lot of money to organizations only to see said money go out of state.

monk
01-08-2013, 6:36 PM
Someone needs to make a catchy song about guns. Political raps work.

Blake760
01-08-2013, 7:06 PM
+1, the NRA should run some ads.

Blake760
01-08-2013, 7:21 PM
Uninformed!? Oh please enlighten me. Are you saying California is a lost cause to these groups? Or, that the use of mass & social media aren't effective tools in affecting public opinion.
Only $100 million a year? How much did the NRA and other groups collect from Californians vs. what was spent in state?

robtech
01-08-2013, 7:34 PM
blake...a lot of people here are unwilling to even try...just like the other side they already made up their minds about what we can and cant accomplish...it's sad to see so many of you give up already, it's like you wont even fight for our rights

Librarian
01-08-2013, 7:48 PM
Uninformed!? Oh please enlighten me. Are you saying California is a lost cause to these groups? Or, that the use of mass & social media aren't effective tools in affecting public opinion.
Only $100 million a year? How much did the NRA and other groups collect from Californians vs. what was spent in state?

You could write them and ask ...

One difficulty not yet mentioned - the media outlets are under no obligation to accept advertising, and we know that unless we got a really big campaign going, greed < ideology. I don't know where the balance tips the other way.

Perhaps you remember the ads for the recent election and the propositions? Let's pick Prop 37. Here's the SOS page on campaign spending for Prop 37 - http://cal-access.sos.ca.gov/Campaign/Measures/Detail.aspx?id=1344799&session=2011

Opposition spent $39.9 million. Supporters spent about $7.8 million. They lost, 6,088,714 to 6,442,371. It's probably too simplistic to say 353,657 votes cost the opponents about $113 each .... And that was a SMALL campaign. Look at Feb 2008's Props 94, 95, 96, 97 campaigns, http://cal-access.sos.ca.gov/Campaign/Measures/list.aspx?session=2007 (94 - $50 million to oppose, $82 million to support)

But that's the scale we would need - and more, to counteract nearly every editorial page, every slanted news story, and every hyper-partisan politician in the state, and not just for an election season - forever, until the voters stopped electing people who play on the voters' fears.

nicki
01-08-2013, 9:38 PM
Does anyone know of a pro 2A organization that would use the contributions to run commercials (or other mass media) in California to counter our opposition and their upcoming assembly bills? I refuse to give any more money to groups (NRA) I feel have given up on California.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ac00f30c-59ac-11e2-ae03-00144feab49a.html#ixzz2HRSSuWWI

"In an interview with ABC that aired on Tuesday, Ms Giffords was shown walking with difficulty and continuing to have difficulty speaking.

Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a group led by New York’s Michael Bloomberg, launched a new advertising campaign to coincide with Ms Giffords’ efforts.

The 30-second ad showed Roxanna Green, whose nine-year-old daughter Christina was killed in the Tucson shooting, asking: “I have one question for our political leaders. When will you find the courage to stand up to the gun lobby? Whose child has to die next?”

First to the OP, welcome to Calguns, sorry you just stepped into a buzzsaw.

We have serious problems in that the media is hostile to us and for us to try to run pro gun ads would actually be giving more resources to our opponents.

The reality is California's demographics have changed and unfortunately gun owners were too tied to the Republican party which is basically dead in most parts of California.

All is not lost, the truth is we have emerging leaders here in California who are out of the box planners, as such, we will win.

We have two battlefields, the court of law and the court of public opinion.

Pick one or both and get involved, I am sure if you say I will commit this much time and money, how can I help, people will give you friendly and constructive suggestions.

Nicki

interstellar
01-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Stay tuned for something that will be very effective.

Kid Stanislaus
01-08-2013, 11:10 PM
blake...a lot of people here are unwilling to even try...just like the other side they already made up their minds about what we can and cant accomplish...it's sad to see so many of you give up already, it's like you wont even fight for our rights

Hey Rob, why don't you hang around a bit longer before you start condemning people here. With 103 posts you are not exactly an old hand in these forums. :rolleyes:

AeroEngi
01-08-2013, 11:42 PM
Stay tuned for something that will be very effective.

That's excellent news! Kinda sounds like Brandon with his one-liners lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2