PDA

View Full Version : Fsb pin is stuck! Any tips?

Egreen6823
01-08-2013, 4:57 PM
So I have a s&w m&p ar15 with the front sight block rail took out the gas tube retaining pin and for the life of me cannot get the main pin to budge I was trying to knock it out from left to right nothing so I tried right to left same story rinse repeat for about an hour and I give up my plan is to pick up some penetrator fluid to soak it I n but any other ideas?

croc4
01-08-2013, 6:12 PM
two things

1. make 100% sure you are hitting it on the correct side
2. get a bigger hammer

croc4

Egreen6823
01-08-2013, 7:24 PM
I don't think I could swing a hammer any larger than mine.. Started with nylon hammer all the way to mini sledge and nothing

Chaos47
01-08-2013, 7:54 PM
I believe that Stag used to make the M&P for them.
Stag puts their pins in opposite of everyone else

So that is probably why many report that the M&P is reverse as well.
Try right to left.

BTW if you look at the pin you should be able to tell which side is larger.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/548965_.html
Evidently, Smith and Wesson inserts thier tapeered pins in the FSB from left to right (passenger to driver side); thereby, requiring the pins to be removed from right to left (driver to passenger site)––opposite of normal. After following all the suggested instructions:

-Soking in Kroil
-Concaved Punch
-Heavy ball pein hammer
-Supported barrell
-and a lot of elbow grease

It turns out we were trying blast out the pin backwards thus destroying a brandnew Brownwell's bunch and the FSB pins, which will now have to be cut.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-long-guns/172466-m-p15-front-sight-pins-backward-most.html

Egreen6823
01-08-2013, 7:58 PM
I believe that Stag used to make the M&P for them.
Stag puts their pins in opposite of everyone else

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/548965_.html

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-long-guns/172466-m-p15-front-sight-pins-backward-most.html

That's some good info! Now if only I had concaved punches...thanks

Chaos47
01-08-2013, 8:00 PM
No problem.
Hope it helps.

Egreen6823
01-08-2013, 8:24 PM
Haha just my luck thanks chaos so wd40 elbow grease + big hammer and backwards logic got the pin out only to find out the a2 sight I was putting on doesn't fit leaves an extra 1/2 inch or so thus making the hand guards 1/2 inch to short....oh well...chalk it up to practice! Thanks for your help guys

Chaos47
01-08-2013, 8:36 PM
Glad it worked, sorry your new FSB doesn't :/

ar15barrels
01-09-2013, 8:28 PM
got the pin out only to find out the a2 sight I was putting on doesn't fit leaves an extra 1/2 inch or so thus making the hand guards 1/2 inch to short.

There is NO standardization of where the pins are located.
As a general rule, if something is pinned to the barrel, NOTHING else is going to line up with those pin holes.

In order to change out to a pinned on front sight base on your barrel, you are going to need to start with a new un-drilled front sight base.
Then the barrel, handguard cap and FSB get installed into a drill fixture that aligns the FSB.
Then the barrel and FSB are drilled/reamed as a mated pair and pins are installed.

I offer this service for $30 if anyone needs it done.

Egreen6823
01-11-2013, 6:18 AM
There is NO standardization of where the pins are located.
As a general rule, if something is pinned to the barrel, NOTHING else is going to line up with those pin holes.

In order to change out to a pinned on front sight base on your barrel, you are going to need to start with a new un-drilled front sight base.
Then the barrel, handguard cap and FSB get installed into a drill fixture that aligns the FSB.
Then the barrel and FSB are drilled/reamed as a mated pair and pins are installed.

I offer this service for $30 if anyone needs it done.

Thanks man I didnt know that, well no that makes alot more sense why that didnt fit I had just assumed the pinned locations were the same. Thanks for the info