PDA

View Full Version : Bought 2 Polymer 80% AR-15 lower receivers today!

FireArms101
01-06-2013, 9:45 PM
Bought two polymer "paperweights" today at gun show in Ontario... that's right POLYMER not aluminum. Came with few bucks to spend everything I was looking for was sold out decided I fork over $150 for two pieces of plastic :facepalm: Last summer I successfully turned 80% aluminum lower receiver into a 100% using my drill press and cant wait to start on this polymer one. Posted this to see if anyone here has ever had any experience with building, drilling or milling a polymer 80% lower receiver for AR-15? I did a Google search on the internet and couldn't find much info. Of course due to the high demand of paperweights the companys website down due to heavy traffic. I'm thinking once I finish this 80 percent lower I'm probably going to make it into dedicated .22, it being "plastic" aka "polymer" and all. Anyhow glad I bought two just in case I screw up on the first one. But come to think of it any screw ups could probably be fix with a little epoxy.

Looking forward to any pics, tricks or experiences shared. Thanks in advance.

el tardo
01-06-2013, 9:57 PM
only tip i can give you is when milling it out take time and be careful as plastic melts where the aluminum cuts away into shavings. plastic doesnt do that so dont let it get to hot when doing this.i hope it makes sense on what im trying to tell you.

Faded
01-06-2013, 10:03 PM
Keep us posted on the progress.

bigcalidave
01-07-2013, 7:32 AM
Who made it and who was selling it! Plastic 80s would be great, even now the production should be fast and the normal cost should be around $20. Are there markings on it?

ptoguy2002
01-07-2013, 8:00 AM
Make sure they have some metal in them....I don't know what falls under the undetectable firearms laws, but you'd best know.
IMHO, plastic lowers are going to be in the same history chapter as aluminum wiring.

Insight.556
01-07-2013, 8:31 AM
80% Poly lowers.... Hhhmmm, sounds interesting. Please post pics/new thread to keep us in the loop. :popcorn:

Tripper
01-07-2013, 8:44 AM
what company makes it

uxo2
01-07-2013, 10:08 AM
pics please.....

FireArms101
01-07-2013, 2:54 PM
I'm working all day till around midnight and honestly I cant stop thinking about getting started :D I'll take pictures and post them as soon as I can. As for who makes these polymer lowers I have no clue, I think theyre made by guy/company I bought them from but there was no info on the 80% lower its self. I picked up the business card at the booth but didn't bring it to work with me so I don't have the contact info. Once I get home I'll provide as much info as I can.

I'd love to hear about past experiences with polymer 80% lowers so I don't end screwing something up. I searched the internet like crazy last night and couldn't find anything. Perhaps its something new?

L4D
01-07-2013, 3:26 PM
Make sure they have some metal in them....I don't know what falls under the undetectable firearms laws, but you'd best know.
IMHO, plastic lowers are going to be in the same history chapter as aluminum wiring.

WUT?

Ibgreezy
01-07-2013, 3:34 PM
I want to buy a couple to mess with!!!!

Jason_2111
01-07-2013, 3:49 PM
I'm always extremely leery of anything bought "at a gun show"... home of the chinese knock-off 80%s and other such not-sellable on the open internet things.
I'd really like to see pictures of these polymer's, and find out where they came from.

Cutting them shouldn't be any more difficult than an aluminum 80%... the question is whether they'll last for more the 10 shots.

darksands
01-07-2013, 3:55 PM
I would be VERY weary of polymer lowers and it does smell of someone taking advantage of the situation. I am not saying it will not work but you are the first I have heard of poly 80%. Please let us know on your progress and thank you for taking the first steps and sharing with us.

Kingofthehill
01-07-2013, 4:37 PM
I have a Plum Crazy lower but never seen or heard of anyone doing a polymer 80% lower. Thats interesting.

My Plum crazy (a gift from an Ex) has held up just fine but hasn't seen a hard life.

JOe

Tripper
01-07-2013, 4:42 PM
I'm working all day till around midnight and honestly I cant stop thinking about getting started :D I'll take pictures and post them as soon as I can. As for who makes these polymer lowers I have no clue, I think theyre made by guy/company I bought them from but there was no info on the 80% lower its self. I picked up the business card at the booth but didn't bring it to work with me so I don't have the contact info. Once I get home I'll provide as much info as I can.

I'd love to hear about past experiences with polymer 80% lowers so I don't end screwing something up. I searched the internet like crazy last night and couldn't find anything. Perhaps its something new?

nobody has any past experience, thats why you cant find anything, and thats why we 'really' want to know where you got them

SJgunguy24
01-07-2013, 6:06 PM

Does the lower parts kit and that magazine full with ammo count? Those New Frontier and,plum crazy AR lowers are out there and I haven't heard of any horror stories about those yet.

uxo2
01-07-2013, 9:08 PM
the issues with polymer that i have heard of
come from people cranking down on the buffer tube/ castle nut
and breaking the rear.

readysetgo
01-07-2013, 10:58 PM
nobody has any past experience, thats why you cant find anything, and thats why we 'really' want to know where you got them

^^^ This!

He thinks he's joining a well versed trend.
Little does he know, he's the trend setter! :eek:

tatso7
01-08-2013, 5:00 AM
Is receiver made from a 3d printer or injection molded?

ptoguy2002
01-08-2013, 8:21 AM
Does the lower parts kit and that magazine full with ammo count? Those New Frontier and,plum crazy AR lowers are out there and I haven't heard of any horror stories about those yet.

I don't know. Even if everything else was plastic, you'd still have enough metal in the barrel alone to not be considered undetectable. But if the regs, however they are written, will apply to a frame or receiver by itself, that might be an issue ???
I don't know how the law or the regs are written, so I don't know. I don't know about those lowers specifically, but other polymer lowers I've seen have metal plates in them where the serial number is.
....just pointing out that it is something that should be looked into....

Joewy
01-08-2013, 8:37 AM
I saw some of these at a gun show in South Dakota a month ago.

L4D
01-08-2013, 8:43 AM
I don't know. Even if everything else was plastic, you'd still have enough metal in the barrel alone to not be considered undetectable. But if the regs, however they are written, will apply to a frame or receiver by itself, that might be an issue ???
I don't know how the law or the regs are written, so I don't know. I don't know about those lowers specifically, but other polymer lowers I've seen have metal plates in them where the serial number is.
....just pointing out that it is something that should be looked into....

lol...soo you don't know?

This thread is about 80% not complete lowers.

bigcalidave
01-08-2013, 8:57 AM
Just so you know, those plastics are NOT undetectable. They show up easily on the current scanners, although the current law stated:

"Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988 - Amends the Federal criminal code to make it unlawful to manufacture, import, sell, ship, deliver, possess, transfer, or receive any firearm: (1) which is not as detectable as the Security Exemplar (after the removal of grips, stocks, and magazines) by walk-through metal detectors calibrated and operated to detect the Exemplar; or (2) of which any major component, when subjected to inspection by x-ray machines commonly used at airports, does not generate an image that accurately depicts the shape of the component.

Defines the term "Security Exemplar" to mean an object that is suitable for testing and calibrating metal detectors and is, during the 12-month period beginning on the date of enactment of this Act, constructed of 3.7 ounces of stainless steel in a shape resembling a handgun. Directs the Secretary of the Treasury, at the close of such 12-month period and at appropriate times thereafter, to promulgate regulations to permit the manufacture, importation, sale, shipment, delivery, possession, transfer, or receipt of firearms that are as detectable as a security exemplar which contains 3.7 ounces of stainless steel or such lesser amount as is detectable in view of advances in state-of-the-art developments in weapons detection technology."

So its a complete gun, of which 3.7 oz of metal which can be sensed by a metal detector needs to be there. Not a stripped receiver. If you made one, with the plastic LPK, carbon stock, plastic upper, carbon tensioned barrel, you still have to deal with a bolt carrier. If someone makes a .22 bolt carrier out of plastic, then you may be under that 3.7 oz

readysetgo
01-08-2013, 10:58 AM

Where can I find 99% incomplete threads and who makes them? Are they legal?

ptoguy2002
01-08-2013, 12:06 PM

Reading comprehension time. I said in my first post that I didn't know, but that the op had best know.

uxo2
01-08-2013, 5:16 PM
:useless::useless::useless:
:useless::useless:

FireArms101
01-09-2013, 8:47 PM
:useless
I hope these pics make this thread a lot useless

Sold one of the two I bought to a friend. Been busy working so I haven't had time to start on mine or take pics so I asked my bud to txt me some pics of his and here they are.
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o699/areyray/photo_zpse79645d8.jpg

http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o699/areyray/photo2_zpsd2f258e1.jpg

http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o699/areyray/photo3_zps2ca229b2.jpg

http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o699/areyray/photo5_zpsc2e0b36b.jpg

http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o699/areyray/photo6_zpsdd57b0b2.jpg

http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o699/areyray/photo7_zps541bc4db.jpg

Tripper
01-09-2013, 8:53 PM
umm

croc4
01-09-2013, 8:54 PM
wow...., best of luck

croc4

wdsonny
01-09-2013, 9:17 PM
Looks airsoft-y.

Colt562
01-09-2013, 9:27 PM
Looks like a last resort to me.

wingnut232
01-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Ummm. Wow that looks odd, looks like the FCG pocket is filled in with different material. Who's the manufacturer? Thing looks very rough. Best of luck!!!:confused:

wingnut232
01-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Ummm. Wow that looks odd, looks like the FCG pocket is filled in with different material. Who's the manufacturer? Thing looks very rough. Best of luck!!!:confused:

dchang0
01-09-2013, 11:29 PM
It looks like someone took a COMPLETE polymer lower and just filled up the fire control pocket with epoxy... But that wouldn't explain the plastic flash on the magwell. What are those shiny stickers covering the maker's markings? I'm guessing your friend put those on there, but if they came like that when you bought them, I wonder what's underneath...

Ah well, nothing to do but finish them up and go see how well they hold up.

BigfootHunter
01-09-2013, 11:33 PM
Tagged, that looks WEIRD.

dchang0
01-09-2013, 11:39 PM
I'll bet they were originally mfg as complete polymer lowers but didn't make it past inspection. Somebody bought them in bulk for cheap, filled in the FCG pockets to make them 80% lowers, then hoped to cash in on the fact that 80% lowers were going for MORE than complete lowers were for several months now.

This does raise an interesting proposition for you. Perhaps it is possible to DISSOLVE whatever gunk was used to fill up the pocket, rather than mill/drill it out. I don't know what solvents would work without also damaging the polymer, but it is still a real possibility, especially if that's epoxy.

dredgeman
01-10-2013, 7:35 AM
Ten Percent out of Kern county has one in a raffle on gunbroker.com I saw them when I read the front page of their website and followed the gun broker link.

There is a company and write up

dredgeman
01-10-2013, 7:36 AM
Complete not 80 percent

Jason_2111
01-10-2013, 8:32 AM
I don't know what the heck those are... but I wouldn't let my ex-wife fire one.

Unless I was really far away.

I wouldn't touch one of these with a 10 foot pole.

PolishMike
01-10-2013, 8:36 AM
Yah... uhh that looks absolutely terrible. Is someone buying $25 airsoft guns and filling the FCG and calling it a polymer 80%?

Jason_2111
01-10-2013, 8:45 AM
With all of the garbage that floods the market as prices get rediculous, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see someone taking crappy chinese airsoft receivers, filling them with epoxy, and trying to unload them on GB or at a gun show.

You guys wouldn't believe some of the garbage we've seen come through our build party, and it's always the same story... "Got this at a gun show..."

Iskra
01-10-2013, 10:44 AM
Yah... uhh that looks absolutely terrible. Is someone buying $25 airsoft guns and filling the FCG and calling it a polymer 80%?

That's exactly what it looks like to me too

Jeepers
01-10-2013, 10:59 AM
That's exactly what it looks like to me too

yup must be a airsoft otherwise it would not be legal even if its a reject it was never "demilled" and was complete at one time .....

FireArms101
01-10-2013, 11:15 AM
The one I sold him is not as pretty as the one I kept, but he liked the black one. The one I kept has a smooth top and is made from a white polymer. The white polymer one felt a lot stronger and tougher (it passed the jumped on it/hit it with a mallet test). I sold him the "ugly" since he offered to pay half of what I spent. I'm Hoping to get off early today to take much better pics of mine and post as soon as I can. It feels pretty strong but even then I'm thinking of using it with magazine well "grip" installed like one of the one below...I've seen these polymer lowers break in the front area of the magazine well before:
http://images2.opticsplanet.com/365-240-ffffff/opplanet-mako-group-magazine-well-grip-mwg-03.jpg
http://cdn.ammoland.com/files/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/sixell-innovations-never-quit-grip.jpg

Cary1911
01-10-2013, 11:54 AM
that looks like an unfinished toy. i wouldnt fire it. but then again im the kind of guy who doesnt want shrapnel flying towards my face/body...

Colt562
01-10-2013, 11:59 AM
I dont know if I would try and build with that. Seems to sloppy to me. Best of luck with it though.

TheExiled
01-10-2013, 1:17 PM
:eek::eek: Good luck OP, I want to see where this goes..

Off topic: Tokyo Marui lower FS..

uxo2
01-10-2013, 2:55 PM
Well...The pics made me SPEECHLESS.....

bigcalidave
01-10-2013, 6:21 PM
Where are the pictures!!! I wanted to see !

Jason_2111
01-12-2013, 9:25 AM
I hope these pics make this thread a lot useless

Sold one of the two I bought to a friend. Been busy working so I haven't had time to start on mine or take pics so I asked my bud to txt me some pics of his and here they are.

Expect your friend to kick your butt. ;)

Oceanbob
01-12-2013, 9:58 AM
Good luck and be careful.

:D

FireArms101
01-13-2013, 3:06 PM
Finally a day off and the time to upload some pics and start drilling my Polymer AR-15 80% lower!
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o699/areyray/arpoly_zpsee604f7b.jpg
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o699/areyray/arpoly2_zps15da824b.jpg

FireArms101
01-13-2013, 3:08 PM
I just noticed that the front of my magazine well is thicker on this lower than a regular AR-15. Maybe because a regular lowers magazine well is too thin and fragile for a plastic lower?

Icy
01-13-2013, 3:40 PM
Plastics do not melt if you machine it properly. Which you can't really do on a drill press.

TheExiled
01-13-2013, 5:33 PM
How about a pic of the fcg pocket on that one? That one looks better than the other one for sure

Cucv
01-15-2013, 7:54 PM
uhhhhhh odd stuff man.

johnyreb
01-15-2013, 7:57 PM
Almost looks like resin for model making.

RomanDad
01-15-2013, 8:00 PM
Looks like white chocolate.

bohoki
01-15-2013, 8:20 PM
cool can you mill it out with a soldering iron

i wonder if that plastic they use for billiard balls and white dominos would work

johnyreb
01-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Looking at the flash over the front pivot pin hole. Looks just like 2 part resin, and looks nice and greasy from release agent. Look for pin holes on it or near complex areas dead give away if it was cast.

wingnut232
01-17-2013, 1:51 PM
Keep us posted on this one. I want to see how this pans out as I've seen a post about a guy using a 3D printer for lowers.

Eric B
01-18-2013, 5:25 PM
Tagging in to follow this. My curiosity has been piqued.

vliberatore
01-18-2013, 8:54 PM
Tagging in to follow this. My curiosity has been piqued.

^This

Google it Research
04-09-2013, 10:51 PM
What became of this project?

readysetgo
04-10-2013, 9:42 AM
What became of this project?

Shamed into obscurity?

BMartin1776
04-10-2013, 11:33 AM
DefCon guys had to make areas reinforced to be printed around buffer tube You should post close up pics of them Im curious to see how yours compare to printed ones.

Freemanrebel
05-23-2013, 8:55 AM
Who made them? I know of a few companies that are just getting started making polymer 80%'s. Check out eplowers.com or polymer80. polymer80 are just taking pre-orders and they arent available but eplowers has photos of their polymer 80%'s on their website. They are available. I am curious if there is another company I don't know about that is making them.

phantomfinisher
05-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Who made them? I know of a few companies that are just getting started making polymer 80%'s. Check out eplowers.com or polymer80. polymer80 are just taking pre-orders and they arent available but eplowers has photos of their polymer 80%'s on their website. They are available. I am curious if there is another company I don't know about that is making them.

Thanks for the plug.. we actually also have prototype images up so you can see what itcwill look like...

Curious.. have you fired this bad boy yet?

Cheung415
05-29-2013, 3:20 PM
Thanks for the plug.. we actually also have prototype images up so you can see what itcwill look like...

Curious.. have you fired this bad boy yet?

He might be a goner. Last login 4-15-2013. I was very curious of this as well.

wpage
05-30-2013, 3:23 PM
The suspense is killing me...

EPLOWERS
07-09-2013, 2:15 PM
I never did see any of the pictures of this 80% poly lower. Does anybody have a link or a way to find out what they were? Thanks

FireArms101
10-07-2013, 11:34 PM
Saw that EP Lowers is claiming to be the original 80% Polymer JIG-LESS lower and thats not true at all unless this company is also know as DIYLOWER. The lowers I purchased last winter and posted on here had two different colors letting you know what to remove out of the FCG. EP lowers is claiming something I can vouch is not true. Maybe you guys are the same company in that case my bad. As for the lowers... well I screwed up due to being too excited to get it done and the other one that went to a friend is his boys dedicated .22. I'll probably get another one from DIYLOWER or EP Lowers once I get some free time so I can take slower this time around.

I never did see any of the pictures of this 80% poly lower. Does anybody have a link or a way to find out what they were? Thanks

sharxbyte
10-09-2013, 4:11 PM
tagged for progress.. I ordered one from polymer80, and saw an ad on craigslist for 66 something rather... But I'm still slightly skeptical. I'll make it into a .223 pistol for my wife, or register it as an AW and let her have an SBR. something fun like that. My next aluminium 80 will replace the current one I have, and my current one will become a dedicated bolt lower.

FireArms101
10-09-2013, 5:34 PM
So do these polymer 80% sellers like DIYLOWER, Polymer80 and EP Lowers actually have them in stock or are they made to order?
tagged for progress.. I ordered one from polymer80, and saw an ad on craigslist for 66 something rather... But I'm still slightly skeptical. I'll make it into a .223 pistol for my wife, or register it as an AW and let her have an SBR. something fun like that. My next aluminium 80 will replace the current one I have, and my current one will become a dedicated bolt lower.

67goat
10-09-2013, 6:14 PM
Ep lowers has them is stock. Polymer80 does not (and still hasn't satisfied pre orders). DIY I don't know, as I couldn't find a site for them.

And FYI, the lowers you bought do not appear to be jigless. The FCP may have been a different color, but I see no markings, guides, or color differentiation for the selector hole or either of the pin holes. That means you would have to jig up, use a pattern, or measure before drilling those holes. The ep lowers have guide posts with divots at the end to make it truly jigless.

FireArms101
10-09-2013, 6:25 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the info I can't wait to order one from each and compare them.

Ep lowers has them is stock. Polymer80 does not (and still hasn't satisfied pre orders). DIY I don't know, as I couldn't find a site for them.

And FYI, the lowers you bought do not appear to be jigless. The FCP may have been a different color, but I see no markings, guides, or color differentiation for the selector hole or either of the pin holes. That means you would have to jig up, use a pattern, or measure before drilling those holes. The ep lowers have guide posts with divots at the end to make it truly jigless.

tal3nt
10-09-2013, 7:20 PM
Pics arent showing up for me. Are they these?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=788458

67goat
10-10-2013, 8:29 AM
Pics on the first page aren't showing, but you should see two pictures on the second. I don't think OP got EP lowers because they have a fixed trigger guard. His have the standard open guards, plus no fire rate markings or guide pins/divots (from what I read, early ep prototypes had starter holes, then they moved to posts to ensure 80% status).

FireArms101
10-15-2013, 11:55 PM
I got in touch with DIYLower.com (http://www.diylower.com) over the phone about getting another polymer 80% and they said they've put a pause on orders for now because they are "working on something much bigger that will change the entire gun industry". Got kinda excited and I asked for more info and was denied. So it looks like I'll have to order some from either EPLowers.com (http://www.EPLowers.com), Polymer80.com (http://www.Polymer80.com) and or this new place I found called Poly80.com (http://www.Poly80.com) I'll probably get one from each vendor to compare them and post my pictures and findings.

anthonywwalker
10-17-2013, 9:24 PM
Got these in the mail today from EP Lowers. They were discounted to $35 each as blems but damned if I can see anything wrong with them, other than the ghastly zombie green color.

Rock6.3
10-18-2013, 7:44 AM
Got these in the mail today from EP Lowers. They were discounted to $35 each as blems but damned if I can see anything wrong with them, other than the ghastly zombie green color.

See if the takedown pins are properly placed by attaching an upper.

fotoman
10-19-2013, 2:36 PM
Polymer lowers aren't bad at all.
I picked up this Bushmaster Carbon a few years ago at Turner's in Chino Hills. Looking at the lower and bolt carrier, I was a little concerned but the sales guy assured me it was as durable as aluminum.
Since then my sons an I fired hundreds and hundreds of rounds without any problems at all. What I really like is the finish, it doesn't get shiny with the normal scratches and scuffs.
http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss301/mario_fotos/photo_zps91a9fb27.jpg

TopGun3
11-03-2013, 7:16 AM
Actually ares armor is manufacturing these and selling them. They have put 10,000+ rounds thru it without any issues. Go to aresarmor.com

gsc3zny
11-03-2013, 9:38 PM
I drilled out the selector pin holes stepping up the drill bits to 3/8 and now when I put in the selector lever, it is off set and not flush. I have attached pics. Anyone else run across this?

umd
11-03-2013, 11:58 PM
Actually ares armor is manufacturing these and selling them. They have put 10,000+ rounds thru it without any issues. Go to aresarmor.com

They are just reselling them, not making them.

kris smith
11-11-2013, 6:11 AM
I just bought one if these on a whim any one having any real issues with them ? And what size are the holes that have to be drilled ?

pdsmith505
11-11-2013, 6:27 AM
I drilled out the selector pin holes stepping up the drill bits to 3/8 and now when I put in the selector lever, it is off set and not flush. I have attached pics. Anyone else run across this?

Looks like you didn't drill the hole perpendicular to the receiver.

fonzy
11-11-2013, 2:38 PM
I have the same problem. Never had any issues with my aluminum 80s I have done. Don't rely on their markings they were wrong on mine.

Perpendicular nothing. I know it was done correctly I used the drill press and the mill and have done others. Just make sure you measure correctly.