PDA

View Full Version : bulgy fsb over threaded barrel

zeddy
01-05-2013, 9:46 PM
When I did my .223 conversion, i cut the shroud off and threaded the barrel using the die. now, i want to add the handguard retainer, change the gb and fsb. I want the bayo lug and cleaning rode. since i have threaded the barrel, will the bulgy ak74 fsb w/ 24mm threads just go over existing threads??

Im also trying to find how to install fsb and gb on saigas instructions/videos. can't find anything other than how to remove them. thanks.....

SJgunguy24
01-06-2013, 7:56 AM
When I did my .223 conversion, i cut the shroud off and threaded the barrel using the die. now, i want to add the handguard retainer, change the gb and fsb. I want the bayo lug and cleaning rode. since i have threaded the barrel, will the bulgy ak74 fsb w/ 24mm threads just go over existing threads??

Im also trying to find how to install fsb and gb on saigas instructions/videos. can't find anything other than how to remove them. thanks.....

Your new FSB will slide right on.
As for reinstalling the barrel parts, make sure you polish both surfaces with fine grit sandpaper. Then you can use a big washer and a press or a long piece of heavy pipe and a hammer to reinstall the parts. Then drill, ream, and pin the parts in place.

zeddy
01-06-2013, 10:45 AM
I have a 20 ton press, i just can't figure out how i'm going to press the gb and fsb with the barrel attached to the receiver, i don't want to destroy the reciever nor do i want the take the barrel off.

chiz
01-06-2013, 8:58 PM
I have a 20 ton press, i just can't figure out how i'm going to press the gb and fsb with the barrel attached to the receiver, i don't want to destroy the reciever nor do i want the take the barrel off.

If you take the stock off you should be fine. I put an open end wrench under the gas block and between the arbor plates to press it off. Also dont use the ram but the cross bar under the jack with the barrel right next to the ram. Should be pretty easy.

savagemann
01-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Nevermind.....

savagemann
01-06-2013, 10:33 PM
If you take the stock off you should be fine. I put an open end wrench under the gas block and between the arbor plates to press it off. Also dont use the ram but the cross bar under the jack with the barrel right next to the ram. Should be pretty easy.

What size wrench fits best under the gas block?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

tujungatoes
01-07-2013, 5:46 AM
If you weld or know someone who can, a support jig like this is really easy to fabricate and will make pressing barrel components on much easier.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w201/SVT-40/Build%20tools/DSC03560.jpg

SJgunguy24
01-07-2013, 6:55 AM
Your new FSB will slide right on.
As for reinstalling the barrel parts, make sure you polish both surfaces with fine grit sandpaper. Then you can use a big washer and a press or a long piece of heavy pipe and a hammer to reinstall the parts. Then drill, ream, and pin the parts in place.

See my post above?

zeddy
01-07-2013, 10:20 PM
Thank you guys, I hope installing it is easier than taking the fsb/gb off. I'm assuming putting a piece of metal though the mag well is the way to go. i am going to sand it down, i'm acutally going to sand the entire barrel and repaint it. the barrel got a little scratch when I was removing the parts. I just hope my bullet guide sticking out won't get damaged, maybe I could remove it.