PDA

View Full Version : Which kit for shorty AK pistol build: Romy G or Maadi?

timdps
01-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Want to build a shorty AK pistol. Have Romy G kits and a Maadi folder kit that could be used for the build, along with virgin Romy barrels.

Thoughts on which kit to use?

Thanks,

Tim

69Mach1
01-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Doesn't matter. They are pretty much the same. But since you have a crutch, use the romy to build the pistol and build up your Egyptian crutch.

CEDaytonaRydr
01-04-2013, 12:08 PM
If you see some Maadi kits in stock, let me know. I need (at least) one...

I'm not really picky at this point, either. Any 7.62x39 kit that is reasonably priced will do.

timdps
01-04-2013, 12:24 PM
Got them at Atlantic firearms, but they are gone now.

If you see some Maadi kits in stock, let me know. I need (at least) one...

I'm not really picky at this point, either. Any 7.62x39 kit that is reasonably priced will do.

CEDaytonaRydr
01-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Got them at Atlantic firearms, but they are gone now.

Yeah, I checked just before I posted that.

The Midway kits say "backorder okay" but I don't know how they are going to deal with the magazine, or if we can even order those in CA. :confused:

I just hope my AK receivers made it out from 44Mag.com in time! :eek:

They are taking somewhere about 3 weeks to process orders, and I ordered 2, pre-bent receivers from them. Fingers crossed!!!

SJgunguy24
01-05-2013, 2:48 AM
Whatever you do please don't chop up one of those commie barrels. Get a cheap US barrel to use for the pistol.

timdps
01-05-2013, 1:06 PM
Whatever you do please don't chop up one of those commie barrels. Get a cheap US barrel to use for the pistol.

Yeah, understood... Just bought a repro AMD barrel from Apex. Hopefully it will fit a Romy trunnion. Otherwise I have no idea where to find a barrel at this late date.

Save those two kits and find an amd 65 kit, they are still out there for a descent price. Might have a little barrel stub attached also.

Found a couple at $240, but no barrel stubs...

Tim

SJgunguy24
01-05-2013, 2:32 PM
Yeah, understood... Just bought a repro AMD barrel from Apex. Hopefully it will fit a Romy trunnion. Otherwise I have no idea where to find a barrel at this late date.

Found a couple at $240, but no barrel stubs...

Tim

It should, both use 23mm trunnions. I have a us barrel that has a mangled crown that I could sell you cheap. It's 16" and your gonna need to lop off a couple inches anyway.

timdps
01-05-2013, 3:14 PM
It should, both use 23mm trunnions. I have a us barrel that has a mangled crown that I could sell you cheap. It's 16" and your gonna need to lop off a couple inches anyway.

Should'a told me about that barrel before I won the GB auction for the US barrel. :)

Will be lopping of more than a couple of inches...

chiz
01-05-2013, 4:24 PM
How short are you going.

timdps
01-05-2013, 6:22 PM
How short are you going.

Not sure. 6-8" perhaps. Have a 2 3/4" gas piston and a Krebs gas block/front sight combo. Have a lathe to move the gas block land if necessary, but probably won't have a barrel before the build party next Saturday. Will pick your brain a bit then.

Is there a good thread for short AK pistols?

CEDaytonaRydr
01-07-2013, 12:17 PM
this is the only one in stock ive seen lately

http://www.coledistributing.com/storefront.asp?i=&pageno=31&cat=Parts+Kits

Sweet! Thanks man! I was able to get one... :D