PDA

View Full Version : Ramifications of Tapping a Glock 19 Slide

keithsmith
01-01-2013, 1:02 PM
Hi, I picked up a used glock 19 gen 2 the other day.

I bought it from a dealer, who had their gunsmith associate do a custom side of the slide sight rail.

What he did, was drill two small holes into the back side of the slide, and one little hole in the front side of the slide.

From there he screwed a little rail for a red dot site.

At the time I thought it was pretty cool, and affordable for my budget. However, at the range, The rangemaster told me to "take my gangster weapon out of there." haha, well its his property.

He also advised me to take that stuff off as it would be a hindrance If I ever want to carry.

Since he would not let me shoot it there, even though I have spent tons of money at his shop on my other guns/ range time, he put a few rounds through it for me, and it worked just fine.

I went home and took out the screws. So now it is stock except for the little holes. I was concerned about the saftey of having holes in the slide.

I talked to one gunsmith and he told me that if the holes breached the firing pin chamber, he would absolutely not shoot it.

I dont have time to take it in for him to look, as I have a lot of stuff to do. So I downloaded a Glock Armorer manuel and learned how to take apart the slide.

The two back holes in the slide only breach into the ejector spring chamber. The holes do not bother the ejector spring at all, and the firing pin chamber is completely intact.

From what I can tell, i.e. my humble opinion. The gun is safe, as any pressure or gasses would be released out of where the ejector spring presses up against the ejector, they would never make it back to the ejector spring chamber, and even if they did, it should not effect it, as there would just be more area for the pressure to release.

I also think the front hole is irrelevant, as that end of the slide is just a metal sheath.

I will call Glock Morrow, but in the meantime, I am very curious if this gun is safe to use in an emergency home defense situation.

I asked about this on another forum, and most of the responses were ranging from how they saw a 1911 slide blow apart, and that the structural integrity of the slide was damaged, and it would blow apart.

I just do not see how a steel or whatever metal it is slide, will blow apart when the holes are in an area that receives little to no blowback pressure.

Could the entire slide really bust apart because of 3 little holes?

I dont think so, but this is my first semi auto handgun, and I would like the expert opinion from people who know for a fact.

Thank you so much for your time and for reading this.

P.S. I do plan on getting a new slide down the road as I can afford it, unfortunately now that is not the case.

However, I would be dissapointed if the verdict is that this can not go in the night stand and be fired once in a blue moon if god forbid I need to.

However, I value my hand and saftey probally more than any body else, lol, so If It needs to go in the safe until I can afford a slide, I always have my shotgun or .38 for home defense.

Thanks again so much for your time.

Keith

bm-bill
01-01-2013, 1:18 PM
I wonder more about the missing grooves in the back of the slide than the holes. Did they fill the grooves in? If so how? Or did the shave the slide down so the grooves are no longer there?

As for the holes you could always find some hardened screws and lockthght them in the holes. Wouldn't be as strong as the frame without the holes, but chances are you would never have any problems.

bm-bill
01-01-2013, 1:18 PM
Sorry doublepost.

Varg Vikernes
01-01-2013, 1:33 PM
Wow, can they seriously keep Bubba away from perfectly fine guns?

gschoelles
01-01-2013, 2:21 PM
Fill the holes with appropriately short set screws (maybe grind off the tits), Loctite them in after checking for breakdown clearances. Or take it to an armorer to do the same. BUT KEEP IT AWAY FROM THE GUY THAT DID THAT!!!

SoCal1
01-01-2013, 2:29 PM
If you want a red dot on a glock (which is a great idea) these guys know how to do it right.

http://www.onesourcetactical.com/tsdpistolslides.aspx

keithsmith
01-01-2013, 2:44 PM
They told me he welded the top sights off, so maybe he did that to the grooves? I dont know much about welding. The slide is the same width in the front as in the back, so I dont think he sanded them off.

Can I also lock tight in some new sights on the top? Is that the best adhesive?

Here is a picture of the top.

P.S. I realize it was kind of dumb to buy a project gun, but I got caught up in the whole Obama will make them hard to get thing, and I kind of made a snap judgement.

In hindsight, I would have spent 100 dollars more on a new one.

TMC
01-01-2013, 2:54 PM
At the time I thought it was pretty cool, and affordable for my budget. However, at the range, The rangemaster told me to "take my gangster weapon out of there." haha, well its his property.

I talked to one gunsmith and he told me that if the holes breached the firing pin chamber, he would absolutely not shoot it.

I asked about this on another forum, and most of the responses were ranging from how they saw a 1911 slide blow apart, and that the structural integrity of the slide was damaged, and it would blow apart.

Why people answer questions they now nothing about? I mean wow!

Gangster weapon?

breach the firing pin chamber? so what? The firing pin chamber is a hole.

The slide will blow apart? really? I've seen some radically lightend 1911 slides that have over 100,000 rounds through them and they are still going strong.

The thing is fine to shoot, those small holes do nothing accept let dirt in. It looks like you'll have trouble putting the rear sight back on. If the original dovetail is weled up it could be cut back out without too much trouble but it will probably ruin a cutter doing it.

Gryff
01-01-2013, 3:28 PM
Lone Wolf makes replacement slides. Not cheap, but cheaper than a new gun. All the existing guts/barrel should work in the new slide.

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1177&CAT=247

G-forceJunkie
01-01-2013, 3:29 PM
I would contact Glock and see what they would charge to replace the slide. Probably your best option. Or just put it back together and see if someone else wants to buy it that way.

Anti-Hero
01-01-2013, 3:58 PM
That thing is a mess; but I'd say it's perfectly safe to shoot.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
01-01-2013, 4:13 PM
You could have the slide top milled for a Trijicon RMR, Burris FastFire or similar small dot sight. Then the lack of iron sight mounting points would not be a problem. Same for the holes in the side of the slide, doesn't sound like these would be a significant issue in terms of the slide's structural integrity.

Pretty expensive bargain/lesson, though. I wouldn't take it to the individual who created this abomination in the first place, either; no reason to give him more cash to fix what he's done.

And here I thought I'd seen every evil thing that could be done to a poor defenseless Glock. Should have known better.

kcstott
01-01-2013, 4:19 PM
The reason behind not wanting to poke through the firing pin hole is because if you shot an over loaded round and the firing pin pierced the primer where do you think all that hot gas is going to go?

Not knowing the welder and how hot they got the slide while filling in the grooves I'd seriously think about getting a new slide.

The real issue is the dip that did this work should be drug out in the street and a mud hole stomped in his arse and walked dry.
You don't mount anything to the slide. That effects the timing of the cycling and if enough weight was added could make the gun a single shot. Granted it would take a lot of weight to make the gun short cycle the other issue is the cycling beating the crap out of what ever red dot sight was on there. I'm surprised it still works.

becxltoo984
01-01-2013, 4:27 PM
Wow what a hack job ! JB weld those holes and shoot the hell out of it . I dont think its cost effective to buy a new slide . Looks like a Gen 1

blakdawg
01-01-2013, 5:31 PM
If it were mine, I'd pick up one of these - http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-firing-parts/slides/tactical-glock-slide-prod44578.aspx - and move on with life.

I hope you got a really good deal, because someone sure hit that with the ugly stick. I thought that side-mounted sights thing was only an Internet joke. People do mill Glock slides to add red dot sights, but I've never heard of them doing it on the side.

kcstott
01-01-2013, 5:39 PM
Look at the bright side IT'S JUST A GLOCK!

keithsmith
01-01-2013, 6:16 PM
Why people answer questions they now nothing about? I mean wow!

Gangster weapon?

breach the firing pin chamber? so what? The firing pin chamber is a hole.

The slide will blow apart? really? I've seen some radically lightend 1911 slides that have over 100,000 rounds through them and they are still going strong.

The thing is fine to shoot, those small holes do nothing accept let dirt in. It looks like you'll have trouble putting the rear sight back on. If the original dovetail is weled up it could be cut back out without too much trouble but it will probably ruin a cutter doing it.

Thanks guys. Im glad I have a safe gun. Too bad I didnt think it through, and have an abomination, but at the end of the day, its still cool to have my first glock.

Ill just leave it for now as im busy and broke, and its not leaving the nightstand, but when I put a replacement slide on it down the road, ill send yall a pic,and we can melt down my frankenslide to appease the glock gods.

;) thanks again and happy new year

Keith

bigcalidave
01-02-2013, 10:43 AM
There's nothing wrong with it right now, other than it has no sights at all? I'd drill and tap the front and just put a big dot tritium on it, should work well enough if you practice a little with it. Can't believe someone actually made that, lol.

deadcoyote
01-02-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm curious if you wouldn't mind saying how much you paid for this doohickey? you can still find police buy back GLocks for pretty cheap, just ordered a second one today for $359, why buy the franken-glock? I'll admit, if it was $200 i'd buy it just for the shock value.

keithsmith
01-03-2013, 4:30 PM
I'm curious if you wouldn't mind saying how much you paid for this doohickey? you can still find police buy back GLocks for pretty cheap, just ordered a second one today for $359, why buy the franken-glock? I'll admit, if it was $200 i'd buy it just for the shock value.

Honestly, I overpaid. I paid 520.

I live in Michigan, Hope thats not a problem posting on a Cal forum.

But, there were only 2 other glocks at the whole gunshow, and they wanted 675 for them.

I figured with the high demand it would be expensive for any of them, and I didnt want to deal with backorders online.

I still should have never bought it, but check out what I am doing to it.

I filled the holes with jb weld and sanded it smooth. It needed a new finish, so I got a can of dark tan rust oleum and sprayed the slide. Its drying now.

Then I got a fiber optic turkey site thing for a shotgun that I am going to epoxy to the top of the slide.

Basically, this thing is going to be sweet in about 3 days.

Ill post a picture when I am done with it. :cool2:

bigcalidave
01-03-2013, 6:03 PM
Well as the saying goes, "LET THIS BE A LESSON" No problem with you posting from Michigan, we welcome everyone here! Next time you come across a "deal" like that, have patience, ask here, and everything will work out better. Worst case, you get a new slide from Lone Wolf and the gun is better than new!

keithsmith
01-03-2013, 8:37 PM
Well as the saying goes, "LET THIS BE A LESSON" No problem with you posting from Michigan, we welcome everyone here! Next time you come across a "deal" like that, have patience, ask here, and everything will work out better. Worst case, you get a new slide from Lone Wolf and the gun is better than new!

Thanks, you should see what I did to it. Its a riot, Id understand being chastised if I just set out to do this, but considering what I had to work with, i should get cut some slack.

It just has to dry,

So is it terrible?, ok?, or awesome?

I first say awesome, then cringe a bit,

The turkey sights are a bit bigger than I would like, but the tan paint is cool

bigcalidave
01-03-2013, 9:05 PM
You can't just glue those to the slide, they will break off and hit you in the face. Also, they are awful.

If you have to use that slide, the best thing I can think of is what I said earlier, tap a big dot tritium into the front end, and maybe paint a line right down the middle of the slide as some visual aid in the daytime. I've had a few little guns with nothing but a front dot, worked fine at close range.

keithsmith
01-03-2013, 9:17 PM
You can't just glue those to the slide, they will break off and hit you in the face. Also, they are awful.

If you have to use that slide, the best thing I can think of is what I said earlier, tap a big dot tritium into the front end, and maybe paint a line right down the middle of the slide as some visual aid in the daytime. I've had a few little guns with nothing but a front dot, worked fine at close range.

No drill..

The epoxy says its good for 3000 lbs.

Idk honestly, I spent all day on this and im kinda over it.

Ill work on it more down the road maybe, but for now im calling it......

Glock 19 special edition, operation desert turkey sights.

;)

Gunsmith Dan
01-03-2013, 10:21 PM
Why, why, why, why , why ................

Gunsmith Dan
01-03-2013, 10:27 PM
OMG why...........

would you have your slide drilled and tapped for a scope when there is MANY good and simple options for scope mounting using systems mounted on the SAFE parts of the frame??????

Sorry I know this is late in the list of responses but I had to say it.

In the future holes tapped in slides for mounting scopes really do not need to be any deeper than 4 to 5 threads using a 40 TPI tap.

BUT

Mounting scopes on the slide greatly reduces their lifespan due to the constant excessive back and forth shock from the slide banging back and forth. That is why if you look at serious competition pistols with scopes they all use scope mounts mounted on the frame that floats over the slide.

Ryan in SD
01-04-2013, 2:16 AM
However, at the range, The rangemaster told me to "take my gangster weapon out of there." haha, well its his property.

He also advised me to take that stuff off as it would be a hindrance If I ever want to carry.

Since he would not let me shoot it there, even though I have spent tons of money at his shop on my other guns/ range time, he put a few rounds through it for me, and it worked just fine.

First I would find a place to go that understands customer service.

Second I would worry about mods that need to be made on a gun.

Priorities man...

That guy sounds like a real *******.

-- edit

I just finished the rest of the thread. Dude, just throw away or recycle it at 12 cents a pound.

Get a new slide.

Be happy. Cuz right now, it looks like hell.

keithsmith
01-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Ok, this is my last post about this. I am so sick of screwing with this gun. I have taken the finish off and on about 3 times. This is the best "sheen" or shine or whatever the hell you call it, that I can get.

Ugh, no more, messing with this was fun at first, but I dont know how you guys do this stuff all the time. Exspecially considering how much more complicated real gunsmithing most likely is.

Thanks again for the chat, and much respect to real gunsmiths everywhere.

Talk to you down the line sometime.

-Keith.

hollowpoint67
01-04-2013, 11:48 AM
Keith,

We all make bad purchases, my first AR for example cost me a lot more than it should've.

Chalk it up as a loss, sell the Glock, someone will buy it for the frame + slide parts at least. (I've seen them go on AR15.com for $2-300) Just do a search on there for frames and get market value.

If you really want a Gen 2 Glock 19 buy one of these when they come back in stock.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1Glk19GEN2&name=Glock+19+9mm+Gen+2&groupid=301&search=glock+19

atdski07
01-04-2013, 12:23 PM
I'd be afraid of hurting myself just throwing it at someone let alone shoot it

deadcoyote
01-04-2013, 1:09 PM
Ok, this is my last post about this. I am so sick of screwing with this gun. I have taken the finish off and on about 3 times. This is the best "sheen" or shine or whatever the hell you call it, that I can get.

Ugh, no more, messing with this was fun at first, but I dont know how you guys do this stuff all the time. Exspecially considering how much more complicated real gunsmithing most likely is.

Thanks again for the chat, and much respect to real gunsmiths everywhere.

Talk to you down the line sometime.

-Keith.

I'm not trying to be rude but at this point I'm convinced this entire thread is an elaborate practical joke and you've made us all look like fools. Well done.

HatersLOVEme : )
01-04-2013, 2:54 PM
http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/KarnusKarnus/glock_gangsta_homeboy_night_sights.jpg

You mean it actually had a rail for optics / sights on the side wow it amazes me how much work and time someone will spend when doing it right when it would have just been cheaper and less time consuming in the long run :wacko:

My 2 cents is I would go the other way here and send it off to someone who does slide polishing have them make it all smooth and pretty again and a mirrored finish ( if they can ) since the wart. is gone on that slide for sure and the damage is done really Glock's solution will be to replace it as will every gunsmith accept for the one who Bubba'd it . I've seen them go a step further and round the edges for CC they do it to smaller Kel-Tecs they call it melting I think then just get a trigger guard rail so you can put a frame mounted rail / optics mount and be done with it .

Ryan in SD
01-04-2013, 5:00 PM
So wait, were the wierd side holes for a red dot rail on the TOP?

or the side???

LOL

bigcalidave
01-04-2013, 6:06 PM
On the side... That's the issue :)

klewan
01-04-2013, 6:15 PM
I'm not trying to be rude but at this point I'm convinced this entire thread is an elaborate practical joke and you've made us all look like fools. Well done.

It's not a joke; I have personal experience with lots of people from Michigan. They're that stupid; the one's with something on the ball all moved out decades ago. The only one's with smarts that are still there, had some kind of deal going on that was better than moving. And there are not many of those.

Atlas Van Lines has been keeping track of where people are leaving and going to. Michigan has been the Number 1 state for leaving since 1975. Every damn year for 37 years...