PDA

View Full Version : who makes AK trunnions ?

Jeepers
12-29-2012, 1:15 PM
i have been thinking about collecting a hodge podge of AK part for my Bother to build a AK (he fell in love with my polish folder) and seem to be able to find all parts by them self at fair prices with the exception of front trunnions..

so whats the deal with the trunnions, who sells then alone or makes new ones ? i sort of remember turbothis making some years ago before i wanted a a AK, but haven't seen anything from him in a few years ....

so where to look and about who much do front std AK trunnions go for ?

69Mach1
12-29-2012, 1:50 PM
He made 19mm front trunnions for chicoms. They were over $100.

SVT-40
12-29-2012, 1:50 PM
APEX has them... Egyptian and East German $75 each, maybe a bit on the high side but when they are gone that will seem like a deal.

kcstott
12-29-2012, 3:12 PM
If someone ran a production run I could see $50 each but they would sit on them for some time. It's not to often someone needs just a front trunnion.

Jeepers
12-29-2012, 3:15 PM
If someone ran a production run I could see $50 each but they would sit on them for some time. It's not to often someone needs just a front trunnion.

i dont think they would sit long considering it would be a 922r compliance part also , heck i would love to see a 100% US made AK myself ...

kcstott
12-29-2012, 4:37 PM
Well Me and Tajungatoes looked at machining a trunnion just for kicks. It can be done on a conventional machine. Some special tools would need to be made but yeah it could be done.

Jeepers
12-29-2012, 4:47 PM
Well Me and Tajungatoes looked at machining a trunnion just for kicks. It can be done on a conventional machine. Some special tools would need to be made but yeah it could be done.only a hobbyist myself and not a machinist what special ops would be needed ?

to me (a layman) looks like strait fwd mill work and maybe a broach for the rivet clearance ?

JAGGUY
12-29-2012, 5:28 PM
Front trunnions were $17 on g'broker a couple years ago. Got several, but I guess that was then...One Romy for $45 but that's about it...

Ryan in SD
12-29-2012, 6:12 PM
Ive considered making front and rear trunnions. Right now I have too many projects ahead of it. But I like the idea of US made receiver parts. I think they would sell well.

kcstott
12-29-2012, 6:37 PM
only a hobbyist myself and not a machinist what special ops would be needed ?

to me (a layman) looks like strait fwd mill work and maybe a broach for the rivet clearance ?

You need some necked back cutters for the locking lugs. Kinda like a keyway cutter. I grind my own from endmills. Slitting saw to cut the relief for the receiver.
Yep a broach for the rivet clearance. Everything else is straight forward machining. The hard part would be boring the barrel journal, although I'd grind a reamer for that. Then making a fixture to hold it and locate it in the various positions needed to machine it.

It has potential but at this point and time I don't think I'd want to get into it. I'd have to make a hundred to make it worth my time.

AKNupe
12-29-2012, 6:48 PM
I'd buy several! Please let me know if/how one could help-funding, tools etc.

AKSOG
12-29-2012, 10:27 PM
I would be more interested in a 80% milled receiver to be honest. I like the historical aspect of old AKM hardware.

surplus-addict
12-30-2012, 2:24 PM

Well if people took advantage of the cheap milled receiver kits available (like the $159 Yugo M64 kits), they would need a front trunnion if they wanted to use the parts on a regular stamped receiver. If they wanted to do it on the cheap, they could just buy the inexpensive Jack Squat weld-it-yourself puzzle box underfolder rear trunnions. Or you could get a regular rear trunnion, whatever.

rromeo
12-30-2012, 4:53 PM
Are there still any cheap milled kits?

surplus-addict
12-30-2012, 5:18 PM
Are there still any cheap milled kits?

$159 for Yugo M64 underfoldr kits complete sans receiver and barrel at akbuilder.

dmceuend
12-30-2012, 5:40 PM
Try Desertfox. I think he has some front and rear trunnions.

kcstott
12-30-2012, 5:43 PM
Now that might make it worth it.
But If i was going to set up to make trunnions I'd set up and make milled receivers. HAlf the work is done at the front trunnion. Pocket out the rest, drill holes, and heat treat.

Could even add a milled integral trigger guard

JRW
12-30-2012, 5:48 PM
Check out this link for the best deal on AKM parts a la carte. Not polish but when you scrub them and remark, you can call them what you want.

http://www.coledistributing.com/MM054.ASP?i=&pageno=31&cat=Parts

Cheers to the New Year !
JRW

Jeepers
12-30-2012, 6:22 PM
No that might make it worth it.
But If i was going to set up to make trunnions I'd set up and make milled receivers. HAlf the work is done at the front trunnion. Pocket out the rest, drill holes, and heat treat.

Could even add a milled integral trigger guardthat would be cool if you could get a determination letter from the ATF, wonder how much they would want left undone on a milled receiver :confused:

Check out this link for the best deal on AKM parts a la carte. Not polish but when you scrub them and remark, you can call them what you want.

http://www.coledistributing.com/MM054.ASP?i=&pageno=31&cat=Parts

Cheers to the New Year !
JRW
awesome link buddy, have you ordered from them before ?

kcstott
12-30-2012, 6:26 PM
that would be cool if you could get a determination letter from the ATF, wonder how much they would want left undone on a milled receiver :confused:

awesome link buddy, have you ordered from them before ?

Would hope it would be just the drilled holes. Mill everything out and leave all the holes to be drilled and reamed. But I have a feeling that would want the FCG pocket left intact like the AR. Umm no drill press jigs for that one.:43::43:

AKSOG
12-30-2012, 9:35 PM
I would probably think doing everything except drilling holes, magwell, and trigger opening. That would be easy enough to make a jig for.

I may even see if its worth the time and materials to design something like that at my brothers CNC shop.

Jeepers
12-31-2012, 12:15 AM
Would hope it would be just the drilled holes. Mill everything out and leave all the holes to be drilled and reamed. But I have a feeling that would want the FCG pocket left intact like the AR. Umm no drill press jigs for that one.:43::43:

hahahaha no drill press jig ? no problem " My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it" where theres a Foredom theres a way :oji: ...lol but ya thats why i was thinking trunnions not 80%milled but hard to say with the ATF they are a fickle bunch who know what would fly depending on examiner day by day :confused:

kcstott
12-31-2012, 6:38 AM
I don't think even Jeff Spicolli could do it.

I would reason to guess through hardened to 40Rc we could laser the hole pattern on the side and the mag well and trigger cutouts too.
It's would be a pain but for a milled receiver it would be cool.

00Medic
12-31-2012, 7:09 AM
Tagged.

I like the sound of where this is going. An 80% milled AK receiver. I wonder if you would be able to do 80% build parties like the ARs. How or when would the heat treating take place?

The newly made trunnions might be a good investment if there is an import ban coming.

kcstott
12-31-2012, 12:36 PM
I'd heat threat them at the 80% stage. 35 to 40 Rc is not bad and can be cut with conventional tool. The reamers won't like it but carbide reamers are available.

35 to 40Rc is how hard your barrel steel is. So if you can drill and ream for a barrel pin you could do a pre hardened receiver.

DarkSoul
01-03-2013, 8:01 AM
So we have been looking for more firearm related projects to get into, I like the idea of machining some trunions, they LOOK pretty straight forward, but having never built an AK before, where to start, are they all the same, or close, if not, whats the most popular type? I have been looking for some prints online, and as of this minute, have not found anything, but still looking.

Any input would be helpful, I have a few CNCs sitting there looking for a project to get into :D

AKSOG
01-03-2013, 8:16 AM
PM sent

Jeepers
01-03-2013, 9:19 AM
So we have been looking for more firearm related projects to get into, I like the idea of machining some trunions, they LOOK pretty straight forward, but having never built an AK before, where to start, are they all the same, or close, if not, whats the most popular type? I have been looking for some prints online, and as of this minute, have not found anything, but still looking.

Any input would be helpful, I have a few CNCs sitting there looking for a project to get into :Di may have some prints on one of my puters , will look around... i do know there are some models over @ grabcam if that may help ?

anthonywwalker
01-03-2013, 2:41 PM
Gunbroker usually has Romy front trunnions for around $50, but they tend to go quick. Apex also has the individual parts from time to time, but I priced a set of what I'd need to build minus the 922r parts and it ended up being more than a kit. Its like they give you a discount for taking the wood off their hands :)

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=324587287