PDA

View Full Version : non-teflon oil for bore

Jack1939
12-26-2012, 11:36 AM
I have been looking around for oil that does not contain teflon. I use CLP on everything but the bore but am curious to see what other people on here use inside the bore. I am open to non-gun oils too (ATF? 3-in-1? PB Blaster?) but it seems that stuff intended for cars does not protect against rust as well as gun oils, or do you disagree?

Justintoxicated
12-26-2012, 11:45 AM
I still use CLP in some of my guns' barrels, I don't think teflon really does much, I mean we are shooting copper plated bullets down the barrels!

Recently I switched to frog lube though. I find oils tend to run after loge periods of time leaving the bore or other parts dry. I have also tried butches gun oil which is non teflon based. I kinda like it because it changes color if it mixes with #9 so i can be sure there is no solvent remaining in the barrel.

kcstott
12-26-2012, 12:07 PM
I just use Turbine oil. SSL46 to be exact. I have a five gallon bucket of it and with it's viscosity and the anti oxidant properties it works great.

After I clean any of my weapons I swab the bore with a oil soaked patch then run a dry patch down the bore to pick up any excess. Never had a bore rust yet. And I live with in a couple of miles of the beach so the humidity is high.

dmceuend
12-28-2012, 3:08 PM
Please get me up to speed. Why not use CLP in bore?

kcstott
12-28-2012, 4:26 PM
No reason at all. I use what I have on hand where I have it on hand. In my gun cabinet I keep a spray can of penetrating rust preventer and a rag to wipe down guns as they come in and out of the cabinet. In the garage at the cleaning station is Sweets 7.62 bore cleaner and Corrosion X for guns and my Turbine oil. I also have a tube of grease for the rifles as well M1, AK's AR's all get a dose of grease in the correct spots.

I do not use gun specific oils (waste of money) Once you guys figure out that every gun oil out there is just some rebranded oil you will learn to buy in bulk and leave it be.

Turbine, spindle, and compressor oils are thin high speed oils with good anti oxidant properties.
Hydraulic oils would be another good choice but the thin stuff like DTE 25 don't get THF
ATF is good but smells
Conventional Motor oil is no good to many detergents and additives. Synthetic on the other hand is great Mobil 1 is good stuff

There is really no need to have a collection of oils in the house. just plain oil will do the job. 3 in one is a good grade of turbine oil with some anti oxidants and citronella oil for the unique smell. Nothing special there.
The point is use some oil and use what you have. But you don't have to break the bank buying the latest wizzbang oil for your gun.

Wrangler John
12-30-2012, 2:46 AM
There is this stuff http://rydol.com/products/firearms/index.htm#BORE_CONDITIONING kind of a pain to order though, no online ordering. It contains boron nitride and PTFE, boron nitride being the new replacement for molybdenum disulfide coating. Rydol carries a complete line of various lube products.

Molybdenum disulfide can attract moisture if not properly formulated and cause corrosion, where boron nitride does not.

If you are interested in Hexagonal Boron Nitride bullet coating David Tubb sells a kit through his Superior Shooting Systems web site, where videos explain the whys and wherefores here: http://www.davidtubb.com/boron-nitride-coating-bullets

Beware of petroleum based oils in the barrel, it is said to build up carbon deposits when exposed to the high temps and pressure of firing. Stay with synthetics.

kcstott
12-30-2012, 6:51 AM
Warning Nae Sayer alert.

I've never been a fan of coated bullets. At least anything other then copper or brass.

There has been zero independent research done to prove that coated bullets do anything at least from a scientific standpoint. The stuff is not widely used in bench rest shooting which is one of the most trendy shooting groups going and will jump on a rumor of improvement just because.

What happens is these guys go out and shoot some regular stuff then try their coated stuff and with uncalibrated equipment an unprecise methods, make a claim to a marked improvement.

You last line is the clincher.... There should be NO OIL in your bore before shooting and especially in the chamber. Synthetics will diesel too.